Ultra Runners

Umstead 100 (Read 892 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

He won't have to worry about any competitions from me.

- most flatulent?

- curliest hair?

- fastest troll?

GO TRENT!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

C-R

Good luck Trent. There's beer waiting for you (you know where)

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Go Trent GO!!! Have fun out there.

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

xor

Thumbstead upstead?

A Dance with Monkeys

I had a good race, with perfect pacing for goal, good nutrition and good hydration. I had tremendous support from a good crew. I held myself well together and was having fun, without any low spots.

However, at mile 45 the combination of a sinus infection I have been nursing, the hot humidity of the day, and the early Spring pollen triggered a fairly substantial asthma flare. I got back to the race headquarters at mile 50. I took some medicine and tried to see if I could heal my lungs. I picked up my pacer and we went out on a 5th loop. But my chest never cleared and respiratory failure is not something wise to push through. So when I finished that loop, just over 100k, I called it a day.

50 mile PR, longest distance run to date, fairly even pacing, and my legs feel good here 2 days later. And I got to go to bed before the big electric storm rolled in. With health and training, I should be able to grab that 100 mile belt buckle, and I wonder if I was on pace for a 24 hour finish before my chest caved.

Umstead is a great run too. A number of local Nashville folk have done well there over the years, including a couple this year. I may go back...

xor

Yeah. If you can't breathe, you can't run. 

Welcome to my club of 60 mile 100 miler wannabes.  We can have a tea party and swap electric storm stories.

It is excellent to hear that you feel good a couple days later.  try again! 

Was the electric storm cool?

A Dance with Monkeys

Yeah, try again. Which one do you good peeps suggest?

Electric storms are always cool when viewed from the dry comfort of a hotel room.

Which one do you good peeps suggest?

Ever run in Colorado?

Wink

A Sweetheart

Yeah, try again. Which one do you good peeps suggest?

Heartland in October.  

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

Best Present Ever

Grindstone is one that folks around my parts talk about.  

A Dance with Monkeys

Heartland in October.  

Hmmmm.....

Thant weekend is currently open...

Cripes.

A Dance with Monkeys

This weekend is NOT free. Got a bat mitzvah I gotta go to.  Heh.

A Sweetheart

I think the idea of a 6 pm start is really interesting.  It would be nice to get the dark running out of the way.  It would be a rough intro to 100's, though.

Here is Craig Thornley's race report.

A Sweetheart

Hmmmm.....

Thant weekend is currently open...

Cripes.

YAY!  Just put your "X" on the line.

Two thoughts:  1.  It is a month before Monkey.  Boom.  You got your long run in.  (Not that you can train for Monkey.)  2.  The belt buckle looks pretty.  I still can't find a good reason for doing a 100, other than for the buckle.

Also, it is $120.  That's cheaper than a big city marathon.