Ultra Runners

Upper-body training? (Read 254 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Started reading the stories in Breaking Through the Wall (think that's the title), and one guy talks about taking up upper-body weight training in preparation for a 100M. Why?

Also the guy from NC whose van failed talks about his sons treating his blisters at the aid station -- how does that work? Sounds like putting some type of patches onto them?

(PS: Not, mind you, that I'm going to run 100M, but I did just do my first trail 50K, and it was really fun, and the people were really laid back and fun. However, if we have a fire, I'll be better off jumping out my window than attempting to run down the stairs, the way my quads feel now.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I did just do my first trail 50K, and it was really fun, and the people were really laid back and fun. However, if we have a fire, I'll be better off jumping out my window than attempting to run down the stairs, the way my quads feel now.)

Been there!    Congratulations on finishing your first 50k!

In my humble opinion, strength training is an important component to running, period.  No matter if you're running a half marathon or a 100-miler.  It's important to strengthen and train your entire body to make you a complete, strong runner.  I do strength training twice a week, mostly with free weights, but I just purchased the TRX and am looking forward to using it.  My coach reviewed the exercises with me yesterday, and I couldn't believe, in that short amount of time, the core workout I received.

The strength training will give you a stronger core, which will help carry you through when you're getting tired.  A strong upper body will help to keep your arms, shoulders, etc., from getting exhausted from use during those long miles.  Strong lower legs will help pull you up those hills.

I highly recommend you incorporate strength training into your program.  It won't be long 'til you see the positive results.

And - when's the next race??

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks for all the information & opinions.

And - when's the next race??

Ha. It was a beautiful park, and has at least two other races in it. But, they include (#1) a 50M and (#2) a women's half.

While I am a runner, I actually can subtract, and figure out that 50K-26.2 << 50M-50K.

And I'm the wrong gender for the latter.

So although a number of friendly people tried to talk me into the 50M, it's not taking hold, at least not yet.

Also I putz about with short races a lot, and am involved with the trail series my club will do in the spring, and will probably do our local marathon in the spring as well.

So I'm not biting on that hook (next ultra) yet, no sirree.

One of the people I ran with (in my 50K) said she is training for Hardrock next year. It was funny, because she seemed like a normal human being up to the point that she said that....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

One of the people I ran with (in my 50K) said she is training for Hardrock next year. It was funny, because she seemed like a normal human being up to the point that she said that....

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Carl A

To cross the finish line of a long ultra, you'll work every muscle in your body.

Some examples:

• Your lower back will need to be able to keep you upright for a long time.
            • Your arms will be carrying stuff like maybe a water bottle, or at least will be moving, for hours.
            • Your neck will need to continuously hold up that heavy thing on top of it.
            Although I'm no longer into weight-room work, my firewood-gathering is more fun when I think of it  as ultra training.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.