Ultra Runners

WSER Lottery (Read 507 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I don't think it is ridiculous to say that this shouldn't be a first 100.

Wow - I thought you had to have done a 100 already.  No wonder the high # of lottery entrants.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
    KvnJns

States needs to tighten up its standards.  I don't think it is ridiculous to say that this shouldn't be a first 100.

I totally agree. I have yet to run my first 100 and I wouldn't think of entering the lottery for this event. I do however think that this will be in my future. Good luck to those who entered and really want to race this.

Kevin

Purdey

Self anointed title

100 virgin here ... pish posh

I think you might qualify as "somewhat experienced".... Wink

DoppleBock

I do not mind a race having qualifying standards

If it would institute a must have finished a 100 miler ... I could live with that.

That might throw a wrench in the Montrail qualifying races ... A person could win a 100k or 50 miler and not be "Qaulified" to enter Western States beacause they have not completed a 100M

I also agree that it is not right for someone to show up (1st timer) unprepared.

I would make for more work to "screen" applicants

I am already shut out of Badwater ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

KvnJns

I do not mind a race having qualifying standards

If it would institute a must have finished a 100 miler ... I could live with that.

That might throw a wrench in the Montrail qualifying races ... A person could win a 100k or 50 miler and not be "Qaulified" to enter Western States beacause they have not completed a 100M

I also agree that it is not right for someone to show up (1st timer) unprepared.

I would make for more work to "screen" applicants

I am already shut out of Badwater ...

There are many different ways that they could handle qualification standards, I was not trying to say that "you" shouldn't be allowed to enter the lottery. After your performance in the 24 last year I cant think of anyone more qualified. So what is the Daytona 500, World Series or Super Bowl of Ultra Races? Is there one? or is it just opinion.

Kevin

After your performance in the 24 last year

Unfortunately, timed races (6,8,12,24 hour) do not "count" as a qualifying event for WS or Badwater.

Not sure why, anyone know?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

DoppleBock

I think it is because running 100M in under 24 hours on a non-trail course is not respected.  Usually good 100M trail people hit 100M in the 24 really fast and then pull out @ 115-125 as running 140+ miles in a 24 is harder than it logically should be.

That is why I would put the qualifying standard to use a 24 hour race a 100M race - At least 100M, but more like 110 for women and 125 for men. 

Although all a qualifying standard is suppose to be is a filter to make sure the people have a certain minimum fitness level.  Covering 100M+ in 24 to me succeeds as a filter.

But I would guess that Bad Water would bend on the 24 hour if a big enough number for 24 was acheived.  I am not so sure about WS.

xor

(tangent) one only needs to have completed a half ironman (aka 70.3) to enter the Kona Ironman, aka "the world championship" lottery. I always thought that was a bit funky too. (/tangent)

DoppleBock

(tangent) one only needs to have completed a half ironman (aka 70.3) to enter the Kona Ironman, aka "the world championship" lottery. I always thought that was a bit funky too. (/tangent)

Which I would think would be OK if completed within a certain time limit -

If someone does a 4-5 1/2 I would be willing to bet they will do ok at the full.

Even with 150+ miles at a 24-hour event, unfortunately DB not qualify. We all know he is worthy but he is not the only high-caliber athlete that does not get a pass to WS. Many elites end up on the outside looking in - which is sometimes unfortunate.

I seen on the list that registration is over 1,000 now. Any guesses as to the final count of registered runners?

That would be an interesting scenario: To change the rules to require a prior 100 mile finish, AND to allow qualifiers from the 50M and 100k Montrail Ultracup races. And hypothetically one of those qualifiers had never completed 100 before.

I imagine the ultra list would explode.

I seen on the list that registration is over 1,000 now. Any guesses as to the final count of registered runners?

I think it was 1,600 or 1,700 last year?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

1,469 registered qualified entrants. Wow. I thought the new standards were going to keep it lower.