Ultra Runners

DWD Gnaw Bone 50 miler (Read 336 times)

corland

unreal.  I had the better part of this looong race report typed.  and my dumb ass just deleted it

Imminent Catastrophe

unreal.  I had the better part of this looong race report typed.  and my dumb ass just deleted it

That's what happens when your brain runs out of glycogen!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

corland

This one is gonna be shorter, but still stupid long... like a 50 miler or something. 

The summary:  Kevin (hawk4932) came up with this idea of running an ultra last winter.  He picked one that would fit our schedule.  He also happened to pick the most ridiculous 50 miler within driving range.  We talked another friend, Marv, into it.  I believe Marv is 64 years old and a veteran of numerous ultras including several 100’s, numerous 50’s, and countless 50k’s.  He was a huge, HUGE, blessing.  On the ride back home Marv indicated that Saturdays was the toughest 50 miler he’s ever run.

We left Friday.  Packet pick up, diner, and lodging went as planned.  Saturday morning came early.  Southern Indiana had received 4 inches of rain on Thursday, which weighed into our decision to start early.  We were at the start by 5am.  Weather was supposed to be overcast, 70-72 degrees.  We chatted with the RD, checked drop bags, and we were off at 5:30am.

I didn’t bring a light.  Marv and Kevin had theirs, we were fine.  We ran with the group for the first few miles.  The first leg is straight up a horse trail.  It was muddy, steep, and completely UNmaintained.  There was almost no running.  Kevin took a spill about 2 miles in.  He shook it off quickly.  The next couple miles were along the top of a ridge.  It was a decent 2 track.  We rolled into the first aid station… a little off pace.  Aid stations were fantastic all day.  They were stocked with loads of supplies and great volunteers.  DWD put on a fantastic race.

We left the aid station and I lead the group straight off course.  Whoops!  A volunteer caught us with in a ¼ mile and set us straight.  From there it was a quad quivering, stumble down route for a quick view of Strahl Lake.  The trail was nice… We walked up another hill, crossed a paved road, and then… there was NO trail.  So we bushwhacked up and down some serious hills, some so steep that Marv chose to slide down on the seat of his pants.  With the easy part over, we continued onto a poorly maintained trail that went straight up.  7 miles into the race, walking uphill, my heart rate was already approaching 160 bmp!

We hit the next aid station with the bag drop.  Kevin pulled a rock out of his shoe, we ate, peed, and we were off again.  A great run from there… really! Mostly real trail (~ ½ mile off-trail), mostly DOWN HILL (except for the uphills) and fun.  We were approaching the 10th mile when we came to another aid station (our favorite volunteers).  Problem was there was no restroom there. 

We were there and gone pretty quickly.  From that point it was onto the mountain bike paths.  This was easily my favorite part of the course.  There certainly were some hills, but nothing terribly unreasonable.  By this time we were all in dire need of a restroom though.  We were 12 miles in and I was desperate.  With luck on our side we crossed a county park building with a men’s room.  There were 3 empty stalls.  We filled them, and then we filled them.  More bike trails to the next aid station, about 14-15 miles done.  We refueled and were told 5 miles to the next aid station.

More bike paths.  I was having a riot!  At 18-19 miles I told Marv that I was itching to run faster.  He told me to go ahead.  I insisted that I wanted to stay together until at least half way.  We were about 90 minutes on the trails.  I was thinking “5 miles my ass!”  We met a volunteer that directed us off the path, straight up another washout.  She told us that it was about ¾ of a mile up to the next aid station.  It was all of that and more.  When we hit the aid station the sign said 22.8 miles. 

I arrived a few minutes before Marv and Kevin.  We all refueled and left pretty quickly.  I told them that I was probably going to move on ahead.  They were very supportive.  They stayed with me up to about 24 miles.  I told Kevin I’d have a beer ready for him when he finished.

The next notable point was Ogle Lake.  It was down to the lake, but we would pay later.  The course ran along the lake side for a short time then it was up, up, up a long ridge.  Just past that ridge the 50k runners separated to the right and headed toward the finish.

The 50 milers went left to make another loop over miles 5 through 25.  The second time around was a little easier knowing what was coming.  The portions that were off trail, weren’t so bad.  Going out early was nice to get the head start, but it also meant we were breaking the trail.  I hit an aid station at just over 25 miles, 6 hours 1 minute.  It started raining. 

From there it was back around Strahl Lake.  Course went back off trail, then up the bastard hill (the heart rate killer the first time round).  This time the monitor read 175 walking up it.  I was back into the aid station with the bag drop.  This time I was 28 ish miles in.  I chose to keep the same shoes and socks on.  I was about 20 creek/river crossings in and I knew there were many more to come.  I grabbed some food, Gu, and I was off.

The course went back on the bike trails.  This time I let go.  I was 30 miles in and knew finishing was not going to be an issue.  I was cruising and having a ton of fun.  I was passing loads of runners that weren’t having so much fun.  In and out of the 2 aid stations along the bike paths and eventually back up the long washout to the 40.9 mile aid station (22.8 first time around).  I made some serious time between 25 and 41.  I hit 41 miles in 9 hours 15 minutes.  I thought if I can continue at a 12 minute pace I could break 11 hours.  I had no idea what was ahead.

Out the aid station back down to Ogle Lake.  Up the ridge, then right where the 50k peps left us earlier.  I was getting tired.  We went down hill for a mile or so.  I was thinking that I was gonna pay later when I had to go back up.  I was running as much as I could, trying to bank time for the uphill that I knew was coming.  Again, I had no clue.  I hit the river bottom and caught another runner, Mike.  We jumped down off from the 4 foot high bank, wadded across, then pulled ourselves out of the water using tree branches up a muddy bank.          

And then it got bad.  Straight up.  NO trail, no breaks.  It was so steep that I was literally crawling at points.  Kevin said it best, 1 step forward, ½ step back.  45 miles in… Sickening.  Finally to the top of the hill we hit more horse trails.  There was mud.  There was no avoiding it.  Thickets full of thorns lined the horse trails.  We went straight through it.  Ankle deep in most spots, halfway up my calf in other spots.  Mike and I came into the final aid station together and left pretty quickly.  3.5 miles left.  Trails from there were mostly muddy, not runable, but mostly downhill.  The last downhill was literally a black diamond ski hill.  We crossed the river a couple more times and finally found the finish.

1st half – 6:01

2nd half – 5:21

I ate a ton, drank a ton, and smiled a ton.  I would have never attempted such a foolish endeavor without Kevin.  I would have never been prepared without Marv.  Thanks a bunch fellas.  That may have been the most fun I’ve ever had during a run.       

KvnJns

I couldn't have said it any better (except slower for me, lol). Awesome report Cory. Thanks, you save me a lot of time.

Kevin