Ultra Runners

bringing dogs on ultras? (Read 352 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I found a pdf online (http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/Rocky_Doc_2012.pdf) that says no dogs are allowed at Rocky Raccoon.

Are dogs generally disallowed on ultras?

(I did try this google "site:http://www.runningahead.com/groups/ultra/ dogs", which I think may be the way to search this forum for the word "dogs", but it didn't turn anything up, so I might be way off base about how to search a forum.)

Just curious.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

It varies.

Some races, they're quite welcome. Others, not so much - could be out of concern for policy, people, or pet (or RD preference).

Liz

pace sera, sera

You'll ruin your knees!

There are a number of dog friendly ultra out there. i believe Cascade Crest is one and I know that Grasslands in Tx offers numbers for K9 entrants. That said, I am not a fan. I am totally Ok with dogs on trails, but folks with dogs hanging out at aid stations is not Ok, in my opinion. I have seen dogs checking out aid station tables and even marking water jugs... Very careless, disrespectful dog owners... I have also run dogs out of drop bag areas after witnessing the dog marking some poor runner's Bag! As captain of a major aid station at Rocky, I have made it known that dogs are not welcome anywhere near my aid station. I will ask anyone with a dog near my aid station to leave.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Dogs are welcome at some around here, but I don't generally think it's a good idea. I LOVE dogs and love to take my dog on the trails but during a race can be hazardous. I know someone that was bitten in the butt by a so-called well-socialized dog. He had to cut his race short. Another race a guy behind me had a dog and was letting the dog run right next to me (on leash) and hog the trail. I think with so many people on narrow/technical trails dogs make it a bit more hazardous.

~Sara
          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

In the UK we often have dogs on the runs as they are mostly run on public roads, bridle ways and paths, there is one guy who runs with huskies and has them clipped to his belt with a D ring and is happy with 50km. There is a large gun dog that comes along sometimes but he normally just likes to run about 20 miles and then decides to have a rest at the Checkpoint where he is taken to the end.

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

jjameson

I can visualize a scenario where a strong dog could "pull" a runner faster than they could run on their own.  I can also picture a reverse scenario where a dog could slow up a runner.

I love dogs but I've been bitten multiple times by unleashed dogs on walks with their owners.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the UK we often have dogs on the runs as they are mostly run on public roads, bridle ways and paths, there is one guy who runs with huskies and has them clipped to his belt with a D ring and is happy with 50km. There is a large gun dog that comes along sometimes but he normally just likes to run about 20 miles and then decides to have a rest at the Checkpoint where he is taken to the end.

What is a "gun dog" ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Oh roo roooo!

What is a "gun dog" ?

A gun dog in the sense I'm familiar with is a dog used in hunting, like any type of retriever or pointer.  Here's one list:  http://www.dovehunt.com/bird_dog_breeds.htm

Kalsarikännit

I found a pdf online (http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/Rocky_Doc_2012.pdf) that says no dogs are allowed at Rocky Raccoon.

Are dogs generally disallowed on ultras?

The RD has mentioned at other races that he doesn't want volunteers bringing their dogs to come hang out at aid stations.  The first race I did of his, he put this all over the website and mentioned it several times at the pre-race meeting.  At the very first aid station I rolled into, there were a couple of dogs, and sure enough, I saw one get right in front of a runner who had to manage his way around a dog in the middle of the trail.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart