Ultra Runners

Looking for suggestions for June 50-miler or 100K (Read 351 times)

I'm looking for a somewhat challenging 50-miler or 100k in June as I prepare for the Cascade Crest 100 in August.  I have some extra cash thanks to a birthday present from my folks, so I don't mind traveling (although I'd prefer something west of the Mississippi since I don't want to have to take a bunch of days off for travel).  I've looked in to the following, so if any one has run them (or has any more info), I'd love to hear it!  And if you have other suggestions than what I've provided, I'd love to hear about them as well.

June 1: Kettle Moraine 100k, WI

June 1: Squaw Peak 50, UT (this looks like a doozy; starts at 5,000 feet and tops out at 9,000!)

June 1: Pocatello 50, ID

June 15: Bighorn Mtn. 50, WY (starts at 8,800 feet, but descends down to just under 5,000, then climbs back up to just over 7,000)

June 29: Black Hills 50 or 100K, SD (deceptively challenging, from what I understand)

June 29: North Fork 50, CO (most of this is run at 7200 ft. or higher; may be a bit too much!)

Thanks!

bhearn

What, you don't like White River? Yeah, late July, but the perfect prep. (Says the guy who DNSed Cascade Crest this year after training at White River.)

What, you don't like White River? Yeah, late July, but the perfect prep. (Says the guy who DNSed Cascade Crest this year after training at White River.)

This would be in addition to White River!  So far I have the following in mind:

2/2: Rocky Raccoon 100

4/6: American River 50

4/28: Capitol Peak (most likely the 55K)

5/5: Tacoma City Marathon

5/11: Lost Lake 50K

7/27: White River 50

I'd also consider a late May 50-miler, however, I'll probably pace Matt (or someone else) at the Pigtails Challenge (getting in 30-50 miles depending on my schedule).

bhearn

Coastal Trail Runs has three 50Ks in June, all in the Bay Area, but nothing longer. These tend to be pretty serious trail runs, though. Welcome to stay with us if we're in town.

Pacific Coast Trail Runs is back from the dead, and will probably have stuff then too, but nothing on the calendar at the moment past December. Hmm. That's not a good sign.

Duke of the Internet

I have run the 100K at KM in Wisconsin.  The entire 100M course is around 9,000 ft of elevation.  The 100K is maybe 5 or 6 thousand feet.  This probably won't be a very good option to prepare you CC.  I would recommend picking a different option.  That's being said, KM is an extremely well run event and is a classic in Wisconsin.  I would recommend  this race to anyone (not specificially preparing for a race like CC). 

I have run the 100K at KM in Wisconsin.  The entire 100M course is around 9,000 ft of elevation.  The 100K is maybe 5 or 6 thousand feet.  This probably won't be a very good option to prepare you CC.  I would recommend picking a different option.  That's being said, KM is an extremely well run event and is a classic in Wisconsin.  I would recommend  this race to anyone (not specificially preparing for a race like CC). 

If it were my ONLY race that I was using to prepare, I probably wouldn't consider it.  But I do like the fact it's a 100K that's not AS challenging; means I can recover a bit quicker and get on with the rest of my training.  I've also heard a lot of good things about it (may run the 100 miler at some point), so that's another plus.  I'll probably add in a few more local races to the list I've posted that provide a lot of climbing, not to mention regular runs on the course (or similar terrain).  That said, the others look appealing too simply because they do offer the climbs I'll need for CCC.

Duke of the Internet

If it were my ONLY race that I was using to prepare, I probably wouldn't consider it.  But I do like the fact it's a 100K that's not AS challenging; means I can recover a bit quicker and get on with the rest of my training.  I've also heard a lot of good things about it (may run the 100 miler at some point), so that's another plus.  I'll probably add in a few more local races to the list I've posted that provide a lot of climbing, not to mention regular runs on the course (or similar terrain).  That said, the others look appealing too simply because they do offer the climbs I'll need for CCC.

KM is a great race.  The race doesn't have any "real" climbs in the 100K.  The last 38 miles of the course is the hillier section, IMO.  The first 63.2 miles (the official 100K distance) is more rolling.  It does offer a nasty prairie crossing in exposed sun.  The RD and volunteers are veterans.  The course is well marked.  The aid stations are well stocked and well run.  It's outstanding race on the ice age trails.  I would gladly answer any questions you have.  I ran the 38 "night option" in 2011 and the 100K in 2012.  So I have run the entire 100M course over two years.  I have nothing but good things to say about the organization of the race and the people of Wisconsin.  However, like you said, the others look appealing for the climbs and I don't blame you.  I agree.

Another option could be the stage races in Tennesse.  They offer a three day event.  I think the breakout is 18, 22, 20 for a total of 60 miles.  The courses are hilly and I believe it's in June.  Check out the Rock Creek website for details if interested.  I'm thinking of running this in 2013. 

Thanks badger!  The fact KM has some sun exposure is actually a plus; I abhor the heat but while training for the Waldo 100K this past summer I tried to get out in it as much as possible (as much as one can in the Pacific NW, that is) and found I did far better than anticipated.  (Although Waldo was actually cooler this year than in previous years).

Also thank you for the suggestion of the races in Tennessee.  One thing I should also mention is that if I'm going to travel, I'd prefer to pick up a state I don't already have (ran the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey in TN in 2010).  Here are the states I have:

Arizona

California

Florida

Maine

Massachusetts

Montana

Nevada

Oregon

Rhode Island

Tennessee

Texas (okay, so not until next February)

Washington (natch!)

And thank you Bob for the offer to stay with you!  But unless I find a CA 50-miler that looks super fun, I'll probably go with a state I don't already have.

Duke of the Internet

Thanks badger!  The fact KM has some sun exposure is actually a plus; I abhor the heat but while training for the Waldo 100K this past summer I tried to get out in it as much as possible (as much as one can in the Pacific NW, that is) and found I did far better than anticipated.  (Although Waldo was actually cooler this year than in previous years).

Also thank you for the suggestion of the races in Tennessee.  One thing I should also mention is that if I'm going to travel, I'd prefer to pick up a state I don't already have (ran the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey in TN in 2010).  Here are the states I have:

Arizona

California

Florida

Maine

Massachusetts

Montana

Nevada

Oregon

Rhode Island

Tennessee

Texas (okay, so not until next February)

Washington (natch!)

And thank you Bob for the offer to stay with you!  But unless I find a CA 50-miler that looks super fun, I'll probably go with a state I don't already have.

If you are looking for Wisconsin, IMO you need to do either KM 100K or 100M or Glacial Trails 50 miler (in October).  I have run both.  I prefer GT to KM.  GT is more difficult and more old school (aid stations are 7 miles apart, distance and course have never changed, etc).  Now I live in Illinois, so I'm not the Wisconsin expert but I have run most of their races. 

Kalsarikännit

It sounds like you should come do Ice Age 50 in May and a 100k in June!

Sorry to threadjack, but with you and so many new people here, I thought you guys may be interested in the 50 States group. It gets a pathetic amount of visits which is sad considering how fun it is to knock off states. www.runningahead.com/groups/50States/forum

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

It sounds like you should come do Ice Age 50 in May and a 100k in June!

Sorry to threadjack, but with you and so many new people here, I thought you guys may be interested in the 50 States group. It gets a pathetic amount of visits which is sad considering how fun it is to knock off states. www.runningahead.com/groups/50States/forum

I had also looked at Ice Age, but it's the same weekend as the Lost Lake 50K in Bellingham (just an hour or so north of Seattle).  That one REALLY packs a punch and is perfect training for CCC.

Although I technically qualify for the 50 states club (I have 11 states), I probably won't join until I have several more.  I'm already a Marathon Maniac (#1077) and Half Fanatic (#91), so I know/see many of the 50 staters already!  But I suppose I can start lurking in that thread Wink

Kalsarikännit

The majority of people that I know that are 50 Staters do not belong to any official club. We have our race results, memories, medals and shirts. Hundreds and hundreds and piles of freakin shirts. Smile

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

I haven't run KM (I almost did this year to make up for Rocky), but I ran most of the 100k section as part of a different race.  Super fun trails and hard in their own way, but I don't think they are like Squaw or Bighorn (or possibly Pokey, but I only know a little about it)... and if what you want is Cascade prep, you can do better.  But I bet that on its own, KM is a fun-as-hell race.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Shit people, if anyone comes to run Kettle Moraine or Ice Age, let me know.  I'll be at both!

Running is dumb.

BenTN

Another option could be the stage races in Tennesse.  They offer a three day event.  I think the breakout is 18, 22, 20 for a total of 60 miles.  The courses are hilly and I believe it's in June.  Check out the Rock Creek website for details if interested.  I'm thinking of running this in 2013. 

You may want to talk to Amanda (RoxieRuns). I believe she did the stage race. If you decide to do it, let me know. I might be persuaded....