Ultra Runners

First 100 - Recovery (Read 425 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am running better but had a nice fail during a trail race up here 3 weeks ago (just not the time I am capable of running). 

Running NYC marathon Sunday and shooting for 315-320 BQ time.  Will be great or real ugly.

I have been doing mainly speed work since I did less of that during training for my first 100.  Need to develop the turnover. Did manage a nice 17 mile M pace+20s run at sea level 2 weeks ago.  I think the O2 helps a ton.  Also going to focus on strength training over the winter along with the running so perhaps a bit less running as a trade off.

Next Sunday will be a good test.  Will let you know.

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Just reading this again as I contemplate being really stupid and trying my first 100M a month after my first 50M.  After hearing folks who I know put in 100+ mile weeks on a regular basis and are 100M veterans talk about 2-3 months recovery just to run "normal" again, should I have any reason at all to think I could recover enough after a 100M in early June to race again in October?  Also, how stupid is it to run your first 50M and then your first 100M a month later?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Just reading this again as I contemplate being really stupid and trying my first 100M a month after my first 50M.  After hearing folks who I know put in 100+ mile weeks on a regular basis and are 100M veterans talk about 2-3 months recovery just to run "normal" again, should I have any reason at all to think I could recover enough after a 100M in early June to race again in October?  Also, how stupid is it to run your first 50M and then your first 100M a month later?

Running a 50 the month before a 100 is fairly normal.  I am not sure what you've done up to that point though to know if you've been building up to that 50 as training run or if you've been building for the 50 as a goal and 100 is an after-thought/ spontaneous decision.

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Agree with HoosierDaddy... I think that's a pretty typical, and solid, plan.  I usually do 40-60 about 3-4 weeks out.  Ideally, I try to pace somebody at a 100 miler... keeps me from racing it.  Nice long slow day on feet.  And a chance to practice eating, etc.

That's exactly what I did last summer. 100 miler exactly 4 weeks after a 50 miler. I didn't run the 50 miler as hard as I could... it was more of a training run. I thought it was perfect. I was recovered by two weeks later and had two more weeks to taper.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

My plan for the 50 is to ramp back up my miles to 80+ MPW, and running at least 4 long runs between 50K and 35 miles leading up to the 50.  My overall training plan won't look too much different than my last marathon training cycle other than, 1) more consistency, 2) less speed training, 3) longer long runs.

Running a 50 the month before a 100 is fairly normal.  I am not sure what you've done up to that point though to know if you've been building up to that 50 as training run or if you've been building for the 50 as a goal and 100 is an after-thought/ spontaneous decision.