Ultra Runners

Strolling Jim (Read 796 times)

DoppleBock

Do tell man!

Congrats on the SJ 40 Trent.  Are you still doing the Keys Ultra?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No, I don't think so.  My legs are tired, I am tired, and the logistics do not look good (I am staying 4 hours from the start line). 

Then again, I may do it on a last-minute whim...

xor

If it turns out to be a logistics thing, pop me an email or something.  I'm staying at the bay side inn in key largo the night before and I have a spare bed.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A friend writes:

Ice, Ice, Ice.  I put ice in zip loc bags down the front and back of my shirt and in my hat.  They make some of the running hats that will hold the ice.  Last year the air temp was 88 and heat index was 103 and since we don't have an opportunity to acclimate to the heat in our climate before that race, it can really affect your run.  I usually handle heat very well but had a tough time the first couple of hours of that race until I figured out how to use ice.

Crew - if you have somoene that can/will crew for you that is priceless.  They have unsupported options but those guys are crazy, in my opinion.

Keep your feet dry!  Because of the heat, humidity, ice in my shirt, etc my socks and shoes got wet and stayed wet - eventually I blistered and the skin on my right heel split.  It was quite painful.  I've never blistered from running, ever, until that race.  I have to believe it was 8+ hours with my feet wet 50% of the time.

Crazy.  Heh.

I put ice in my hat once and I rue the day I did it, the back of my shirt and shorts got wet and I got really bad chafing around shorts band.....ooohh that was frigging sore afterwards

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

A friend writes:

Ice, Ice, Ice.  I put ice in zip loc bags down the front and back of my shirt and in my hat.  They make some of the running hats that will hold the ice.  Last year the air temp was 88 and heat index was 103 and since we don't have an opportunity to acclimate to the heat in our climate before that race, it can really affect your run.  I usually handle heat very well but had a tough time the first couple of hours of that race until I figured out how to use ice.

Crew - if you have somoene that can/will crew for you that is priceless.  They have unsupported options but those guys are crazy, in my opinion.

Keep your feet dry!  Because of the heat, humidity, ice in my shirt, etc my socks and shoes got wet and stayed wet - eventually I blistered and the skin on my right heel split.  It was quite painful.  I've never blistered from running, ever, until that race.  I have to believe it was 8+ hours with my feet wet 50% of the time.

Crazy.  Heh.

Try this.

Joe Ninke wearing his "ice cape" for the hot part of the day. He made it from a polyester shirt by sewing 5 pockets that drape around the shoulders and one for the top of the head. He filled them with ice cubes each lap. (Photo by Brad Baker).

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No 50m today.  I chose wisely.