Ultra Runners

Water v. Socks (Read 297 times)

NYCNorma

If you know you will have water crossings during a race, do you choose a particular sock to wear ahead of time?  Do you take a spare pair of socks?  Does it matter?

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

My choice of socks isn't influenced by the presence of water crossings.

I *might* consider how long the race is or how long/often my feet will be wet when planning a sock and/or shoe change. That is, if I know I can keep my feet dry for a long time, then it might be worth it to stop for a change.

FWIW, I wear Injinji liner socks - they seem to take me half an hour to put on, longer when my feet are wet. So, I don't like to change unless I perceive a significant benefit to doing so.

I also don't like to mess with my feet once they've been prepped for a long distance. Seems I often end up introducing debris that previously wasn't in my sock (but maybe on my legs or gaiters or just in the trail-side environment).

I DO use Maximum Strength Desitin (purple tube) on my feet (regardless of water) - helps prevent both blisters and maceration. And, I'm sure the zinc oxide helps speed the healing of any wounds that might turn up ... stuff lingers on my feet for days after a race. Oh, and leaves my feet, hands, and hotel washcloths smelling fresh as a baby's bottom! Wink

Liz

pace sera, sera

xor

If you know you will have water crossings during a race, do you choose a particular sock to wear ahead of time?  Do you take a spare pair of socks?  Does it matter?

Sometimes it might matter, but usually it wouldn't... especially if you will cross water more than once and/or the course is going to be sloppy anyway.  I always wear drymax socks (best sock ever) and bodyglide my feet. The only times I've ever changed my socks during a race... and I've been through some water in races, oh yes... was because I was actually changing shoes and just did it all.  And, actually, one of the times I stopped to change shoes (American River from road shoes to trail shoes), I totally wish I had not.

But that said, it really is up to you and your comfort and perhaps how blistery your feet get on trails.  If you wanna, do so.

I did not change socks after this:

AT-runner

Tim

I love the Drymax socks, but a quick drying shoe is just as important.  

If my feet have been wet for a ling time and i know trail up ahead is water free, I might change to dry socks. Fortunately I don't have blister issues, so changing is more for comfort.  I have trouble getting out of the chair at races (motivation not physical), so I don't like to sit down unless necessary.

Why would you wait for a race to have fun with a water crossing?  Some of my favorite training runs have water crossing.  It part of the fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NYCNorma

Okay you guys have reassured me.  I've run up to 50k and only had one blister and that was in a 10k.  Hopefully that means I'm not a very blistery person.  I have a pair of Injinji socks, but I don't wear them very often because they hurt in between two of my toes.  (Although I did buy them for just such a scenario.)

I've never Bodyglided my feet, though.  Mildly curious about the baby-bottom Desitin smell.  Wink

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

For lube on my feet, I like Hydropel best.  I put it on the night before and go to sleep with socks on.  I may or may not apply another coat the morning of, depending on the distance and conditions. 

Running is dumb.

bhearn

I've tried Drymax socks, and to me, they just seem like socks. 

For marathon or longer I always wear Injinji liner socks. They don't take me half an hour to put on, for some reason (unlike Vibrams, which are a royal pain to put on). Also like Buzzie, whether there are water crossings or not doesn't matter. But I guess I would use more Hydropel if I knew there would be a lot of water.

I changed socks at Western States, but because of a blister. I did not change socks after crossing Rucky Chucky.

xor

If you dig the hydropel, you might want to stock up on it.  I peeked in zombierunner a couple weeks ago and "this product is no longer available from the manufacturer".  But I do still see it other places.

Ultra Cowboy

Add me to the Injinji fan club.  My feet will be wet for the next 8 Sundays or so.  My theory is once they GET wet, I KEEP 'em wet.  The halfway dry level seems to rub me the wrong way. 

I ran a short WET run today with a cutom pair from SOCK Guy.  (they were a customer appreciation gift from my shoe store)  they did well. 

I'm going to try the desitin on my feet when it warms up. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

crunch19

I really like smartwool at least for cold weather as even if they get wet, they are still warm. No problems with blisters yet either though thankfully I am not too blister prone. (watch me jinx myself now!Wink)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If you dig the hydropel, you might want to stock up on it.  I peeked in zombierunner a couple weeks ago and "this product is no longer available from the manufacturer".  But I do still see it other places.

Crap.  I can't find it anywhere.  Where did you see some?

Running is dumb.

FurShirtFlyer

Drymax socks FTW (for the win)! I love them. Since I switched to them I get very little blisters.

I have also heard that aquaphor works well for maciation (sp). I bought some but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Uh oh... now what?

Drymax socks FTW (for the win)! I love them. Since I switched to them I get very little blisters.

I have also heard that aquaphor works well for maciation (sp). I bought some but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Are very little blisters easier to run with than very big blisters?

"maciation" ???

On the other hand... any number of wool or wool-blend socks might work.  You need to do some test runs (training runs) to find out which socks might feel like they are rolling up in a ball under you toes versus which continue to feel like normal socks while wet.  I live and run in the Pacific Northwest.  At this time of year most of my running is in the wet.  I wear SmartWool or an REI blend and don't change socks during runs.

Yes, I choose a particular pair of socks (somewhat dependent on how snug the shoes fit and how long (time) the run will be also).

No, no spare socks.

It hardly ever matters (distances up to 100k with no changes of socks).

RunJasonRun

I have recently taken to wearing CEP compression socks during all of my ultramarathons.  The creek crossings do not bother me, except for those few seconds when the shoes are still draining the water.  Usually, I cannot even tell that I crossed a creek once I'm 100 feet or so on the other side of the creek crossing.  I've also taken to wearing Body Glide on my feet underneath the socks.

This is a good thing, since CEP compression socks suck to take off or put on again.  I had a spare pair of these compression socks at Pinhoti, but did not need to change into them during the race.  Even if I had "needed" to change into them, I would have have probably not done so and simply kept moving. 

I used to wear Balega socks, and those were superb for keeping water away.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

FurShirtFlyer

Are very little blisters easier to run with than very big blisters?

"maciation" ???

On the other hand... any number of wool or wool-blend socks might work.  You need to do some test runs (training runs) to find out which socks might feel like they are rolling up in a ball under you toes versus which continue to feel like normal socks while wet.  I live and run in the Pacific Northwest.  At this time of year most of my running is in the wet.  I wear SmartWool or an REI blend and don't change socks during runs.

Yes, I choose a particular pair of socks (somewhat dependent on how snug the shoes fit and how long (time) the run will be also).

No, no spare socks.

It hardly ever matters (distances up to 100k with no changes of socks).

Haha...Yes very little blister are easier to run with than very big blisters! Smile I guess I probably should have clarified a bit better. But both the number and size are smaller.

"Maceration" is the word I was looking for.