Ultra Runners

Electrolytes sans aide stations? (Read 437 times)

So I am on a taper and have no more time to "test" products.  I am still pretty new to distance running and therefore have a ton to learn.  

I realized recently on a 4.5 hour run that I get disgusted by all the sugar.  I was totally burnt out on the gels, blocks and drink.  Luckily I had some chips and that really helped.  

I had been running with Nuun in my hydration pack (I carry only one water source) but the sugary water (or at least sweet tasting) started to disgust me.  So I only want to carry clean water from now on; last week I did and it was much better.  

But, how do I get my electrolytes w/out the water adjunct stuff?  I am taking salt tabs (they work great) eating those "Shot Blocks" and eating sandwiches and pizza.  If I do all that am I getting electrolytes anyway? Or, do I need to make sure I am getting potassium, calcium, etc.. in addition to salt?

I am over thinking this?

Two races in the next two weeks:  Crow Pass 24 mile trail run and Resurrection 50 miler one week later (no aide stations for either race).

There is the Nathan Sport Synergy, which is a dual chamber bladder that allows for mixing of electrolytes by a dial.

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=10018N/670.0.1.1

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I am still in search of the "answer" but am finding it to be more specific to individual.  I tried salt tabs and perpetuem as  my source during my 50 Sunday and thought I did well.  I do believe I got dehydrated the last hour which killed performance.  I think this was due not to deficient consumption of water but perhaps deficient consumption of sodium to the point my body would not absorb the water.  They water was sitting in the gut but not the proper tonicity.

On Sunday, I noticed my fingers swelling a bit, took salt tablet and the swelling decreased (seems a little counter intuitive but thinking the increased salt helped pull water back from the peripheral tissues???).  I need to review the physiology of salt / swelling to ensure that was the right thing to do.  If you have time, check out the video of Diana Finkel (women's winner finishing Hardrock 100 this year).  Huge swollen sausage fingers.

I still haven't decided for certain what I will do next time other than perhaps carry one bottle of water and the other of electrolyte drink.  Salt tabs on hand too.   Many elites as well as mortals use S-caps.  Those are only sodium and they seem to do fine Smile .  I have used Endurolytes and Salt Stick. 

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)
          Thanks for the thoughts.  Much appreciated.

I am going to try the electrolyte shot blocks (Cliff product), plain water and salt tabs.  I'll see how that goes.  I heard Hammer makes a product that is tasteless, can't remember the name, but I saw it at the running shop and they only sell it in huge jugs so I didn't want to spring for that much in case I didn't like it.    Thanks again.

The King of Beasts

I am going to try the electrolyte shot blocks (Cliff product), plain water and salt tabs.  I'll see how that goes.  I heard Hammer makes a product that is tasteless, can't remember the name, but I saw it at the running shop and they only sell it in huge jugs so I didn't want to spring for that much in case I didn't like it.    Thanks again.

Do you normally use Cliff products? do a short test run with them, the Brown Rice Syurp that Cliff uses does not sit well in my gut. most people have no problem but it would be worth a try before the race.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I tried salt tabs and Many elites as well as mortals use S-caps.  Those are only sodium and they seem to do fine Smile .

Not true about the S!Caps - they also have potassium. http://www.succeedscaps.com/Facts_scaps.html

YoBear - you may find this article and chart, from the maker of S!Caps helpful in assessing your water/electrolyte needs while you're on the run. http://www.succeedscaps.com/Ninebox.html

Dig around on that site - you may find more useful information.

Personally, I like to manage nutrition, hydration, and electrolytes separately (rather than looking to combination products - for example: on some days, to get enough electrolytes from Shot Bloks, I'd likely be taking in more "food" than I care to).

Liz

pace sera, sera

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

The "tasteless" Hammer stuff has a taste and a texture.  Texture can be just as bad on really long runs when your body dislikes you a lot.

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)

The "tasteless" Hammer stuff has a taste and a texture.  Texture can be just as bad on really long runs when your body dislikes you a lot.

For sure.  They don't call it "Heave" for nuthin'. 

I'm noboby, who are you?

Personally, I like to manage nutrition, hydration, and electrolytes separately (rather than looking to combination products - for example: on some days, to get enough electrolytes from Shot Bloks, I'd likely be taking in more "food" than I care to).

Sodium
                    341 mg
                    Potassium
                    21 mg

S!caps have a smidge of potassium