Ultra Runners

New Year's One Day race report (Read 59 times)

bhearn

hectortrojan

Congratulation on the great race! Enjoyed reading your report. Very well done.

I saw the race when I went on my usual lunch run on that day. Wind was little heavy in the afternoon and I thought these runners are going to hate it for rest of the race! But good to hear that it died down later on. I saw the sand that you mentioned. I think it was brought out during Christmas week. That sand might be the reason you are not #9..

Great race report. Seems like you executed perfectly. Fingers crossed that a few of the men ahead of you choose not to go to Torin and you can be part of Team USA.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, and a good read.  Way to not let the timing / placing snafu get in your head or take you out of your race plan.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's some food for thought. That would be awesome for you to be picked for the US team, even as an alternate.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

I'm not sure there's anything official about being an alternate -- I think it's just where you are on the list. So I expect that when the team is announced on the 14th, I'll be de facto 4th alternate (unless there were other big performances over New Years, but there weren't, at the races I'm aware of). But I was encouraged by the guy who maintains the list to be ready to step up, and congratulated for "joining an elite group of individuals who have achieved those marks for qualification".

WrigleyGirl has been 2nd or 3rd alternate several times, and says it means nothing.

Kalsarikännit

WrigleyGirl has been 2nd or 3rd alternate several times, and says it means nothing.

That sounds rough, but it is essentially the truth. An alternate spot and a buck will get you a pack of gum.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It also gives you bragging rights if you're so inclined. I'm impressed and while I've haven't been part of the ultra community for long, I have been running a long time and it takes a bit to impress me.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bhearn

Thanks George, I appreciate that.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congratulations.Glad to know I was right.Most runners fight the same mental demons.Some just at a slower pace.WTG!!!!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Chantilly75

Congratulations on your great result.

I enjoyed reading your report.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Imminent Catastrophe

That sounds rough, but it is essentially the truth. An alternate spot and a buck will get you a pack of gum.

You still here?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

bhearn

That's some food for thought. That would be awesome for you to be picked for the US team, even as an alternate.

My mistake... the team was (pre) announced today, down to three alternate spots. So there is something official about being an alternate. Missed it by that much.