Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

Kalsarikännit

I am loving the idea of this so far. I am going to take two weeks off after the race so I can see the sights and then go hit the continent. It is too early to hike the Trail du Mont Blanc. That is disappointing. Bizarrely I was looking at marathons in France and Germany to do two weeks after The Big Race. Just a long jog for laughs. I'm sure it would be a crawl. But then, do I really want to be representing the United States and throwing down some goofy six hour marathon?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Jen - I'll take you to a couple of 17th Century pubs - that's a good experience.

Well I'll (offer) to take Jen (and you if you're keen) to a pub that claims it was first opened in 1242. Does that make me the winner?  Although, to be fair, the building used now is apparently from later on (people say the 15th century), and that's probably all lies too.

My main concern is suggesting anywhere that serves beer in case it isn't up to either of your high standards.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Purdey

Self anointed title

The Bear?  Good choice.

I used to drink here:  (opened in 1213)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/foodanddrink/top-100-famous-pubs/8652602/The-Royal-Standard-of-England-Beaconsfield.html

It claims to be the oldest free house in England, and it harboured King Charles I during the English Civil War, which led to his son Charles II bestowing the "Royal" charter on it.  You can dine in the room where Chuck II used to "entertain" his mistresses.  They've cleaned it since then.

It's gone downhill a bit recently - so The Bear is probably the better choice.

I was thinking of the Bear, and, if you approve, then I am happier with the choice.  The Turf can be worth a visit if you can avoid students (the beer is generally good), and the Eagle and Child plus the Lamb and Flag are okay too.  Far from the Madding Crowd is modern but has a very good reputation for beer.

The Royal Standard looks nice and the history makes it sound very good too.  Surprisingly enough, despite England being very small and us all knowing each other, I haven't been there.  If things go back uphill let me know, I quite fancy a trip.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Purdey

Self anointed title

It's 10:30 am on a Monday and I'm thinking about quality ales in old pubs.  This can't be good.

I had two of these last night:

Kalsarikännit

We should just drink at all of those places. Problem solved.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Good answer.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Wrigler - crew is starting to come together.

Hoppity and Mr Hoppity have kinda volunteered to crew and/or pace.  (Later sections, maybe from 100 onwards)

My Dad, wifey and brothers will also be crewing sections.

Wrigler - crew is starting to come together.

Hoppity and Mr Hoppity have kinda volunteered to crew and/or pace.  (Later sections, maybe from 100 onwards)

My Dad, wifey and brothers will also be crewing sections.

Wow, you do have a team going Purdey

I am choosing not to have pacers at any time as I find that "company" begins to grind me down after a time knowing that I will have been awake by that time for over 24 hours, traveled approximately 90 miles, getting "emotional". Whilst it will be a great motivation, I have found that I am best in my own little world.....but go for it you will have a better chance of completing Big grin

A lot of pacers think there will be a lot of running from 100 miles onwards so they may get a little frustrated and whilst I would be happy to have my extrovert mate, Rob, pacing me in shorter events I have a feeling that I will have pushed him into the next lock after Tring Evil

Jerry
                      A runners blog-updated daily

Kalsarikännit

....but go for it you will have a better chance of completing Big grin

I don't think having fifteen people next to me or being all by myself has anything to do with finishing. My training and proper fueling and mental toughness (plus no massive blisters and some good luck) will get me to the finish. I've only had a pacer in one race, and found it was a nice diversion, and it gave me something to look forward to. I know I could have put down a much better time with a pacer in my last race, just because a foot up my ass in the last 12 miles would have been enormously beneficial. That's what I am hoping for in this race. I don't want to just finish, I'd like to be competitive. Having someone there to break up the monotony and tell me to quit being a sissy and RUN can only help.

Kalsarikännit

Purdey, thanks! This is beginning to get exciting, huh?

Purdey

Self anointed title

. I don't want to just finish, I'd like to be competitive.  

I'm looking forward to the WG / Mimi showdown.

Jerry - whilst I am clearly an ultra newbie... WrigleyGirl kinda knows what she's doing.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey, thanks! This is beginning to get exciting, huh?

I know, right?  I've started stockpiling beer.

Kalsarikännit

I'm looking forward to the WG / Mimi showdown.

Jerry - whilst I am clearly an ultra newbie... WrigleyGirl kinda knows what she's doing.

Liar. I can assure you that with both ultrarunning and life, I have no fliiping idea what is what. And I'm sure Mimi will beat me, but maybe, just maybe, I can be "first loser". Big grin