Ultra Runners

100 mile training question (3.5 weeks out) (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Um yeah.  13 hours.  Asphalt.  Unsupported.  On a lark.

World class.

Good luck at Mohican, SprTb

Not much to add here except that Mohican was my first 100 - ran splits of 9hr/12hr for 21:15 finish.

Indeed, I did go out waaay too fast in the first 50k. While I made it to 80 miles (last time through Covered Bridge) by nightfall, I was reduced to a walk for much of the last 15 miles due to blown quad muscles. The last 10 miles are on dirt roads yet I couldn't run.

Have fun at Mo'

Heh

Dang!  Just a "long run"???

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

All great advice here-like the "want to bust out-but don't".  I'm glad you decided to forgo the 2nd 100 mile week.  You'll do fine SprTb-you've put the time in.  Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

who knows...

Well, the deed is done. Thanks to all for your help. I finished in 26 hours, not quite making the sub-24 for which I was hoping. However, the realities of race day had shown to be harsher than most expected. At 5 am there was no chill in the air and the temperature was about 70 degrees. It had rained all night before and the humidity hung in the air like an oppressive blanket. The heat of the day rose to about 85-87 degrees with the humidity (90-100 percent, best guess) continuing to hang around like an unwanted house guest. It was taxing. So taxing in fact that I finished ahead of at least two of the races previous winners. One of them dropped at 63 miles, the other (who was also going for his 1000 mile buckle) came in almost an hour behind me. The overall winner finished only 7 seconds below 20 hours. I was later told that the aid station near 50 miles looked like a war zone, bodies littered everywhere. I hadn't noticed since my vision had already tunneled and I was trying not to think about the heat and humidity. Overall, of the 154 or so people who started, only 69 finished.

My feet were a mess the last quarter of the race (I even have a picture for the interested). The race description promised one river crossing, but there (and can we include streams in this statement?) were at least four. I had prepared for the promised crossing with dry socks at the next aid station. But alas, it would be wet socks for the remainder. First, the feet pruned. Then they pruned some more. Then the folds of skin folded over and I was running on (what other than) folded skin. That hurt, and the certainty of the discomfort was reassured with every step.

But I had a blast. There is something surreal about watching the sun rise and fall and rise again while one is running. It is amazing the boost of energy, the quickness of step that comes with the sunrise and only a couple of miles to go. It may perhaps be the most primal, existential feeling. Trail running and navigating in the dark was both exciting and sometimes irritating, but always exhilarating--especially staring across a river crossing, trying to find a break where the trail picks up, and starting to panic (get a little restless) that a wrong turn had been made several miles ago.

And in the end, I was not kicked by a moose (K Meltzer at Bighorn), but I was stared down by a vicious tree-dwelling animal with glowing eyes in the middle of the night.
              "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                An incredible achievement one that I aspire to do in 2010, maybe you could send the picture of your feet by private message to me as I have a feeling it may not go down with my lunch very well 

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily

Congratulations on the race the race thats an amazing accompishment, lets see the picture of the feet!!!

The King of Beasts

But I had a blast. There is something surreal about watching the sun rise and fall and rise again while one is running. It is amazing the boost of energy, the quickness of step that comes with the sunrise and only a couple of miles to go. It may perhaps be the most primal, existential feeling. Trail running and navigating in the dark was both exciting and sometimes irritating, but always exhilarating--especially staring across a river crossing, trying to find a break where the trail picks up, and starting to panic (get a little restless) that a wrong turn had been made several miles ago.

when someone asks "why," that is what you tell them

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

You'll ruin your knees!

SWEET!  Congrats on hanging through those tough conditions!  Humidity is really challenging!

Rest well.

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

who knows...

Congratulations on the race the race thats an amazing accompishment, lets see the picture of the feet!!!

Sorry, Jerry Smile

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

S'alright, I've had my lunch

How are they feeling now?

Jerry
                          A runners blog-updated daily