Ultra Runners

Desert Solstice 24 hour (Read 383 times)

Congrats WG! Missed goal or not, that is still an amazing performance.
      My inability to run three more miles means that Purdey and Hoppity are stuck with me in the end of May.

Yay and boo from me too. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats WG! Missed goal or not, that is still an amazing performance.

Yes, amazing!

steph  

Kalsarikännit

Then why are all the track records shorter distances than the road records?

For one, there are just less events to chose from. Another thing is that I think that people are intimidated by the thought of doing a 400m loop, so that keeps runners away.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

I have wondered about that. I was pretty surprised when the American F45-49 track 50k record fell in 4:38 during the race. I'm still thinking of SF One Day (12 or 24) as a training run for Rocky Raccoon. I've never run a 24-hour, and I'm kind of itching to; events like what we just witnessed are very inspirational. Even though that one sounds like it wasn't much fun. Also this is on a 1-mile track, maybe not quite as mind-numbing? Problem is, I've set Boston as a goal race. RR itself will take a big chunk out of training. I'm afraid the smarter plan is just to run RR with nothing long before then.

Kalsarikännit

Wait until October and run 24 The Hard Way in Oklahoma City. National Championship, one mile loop.

bhearn

That's a thought, thanks.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wait until October and run 24 The Hard Way in Oklahoma City. National Championship, one mile loop.

I've been thinking about this one since I have family around there.  

MTA:  Does it fill up fast?

steph  

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

If you want a good 24-hour race, there's always the Fall North Coast 24 on a .9 mile loop.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Trail Monster

I'm running the spring North Coast. Would be great to 'know' some others there!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Uh oh... now what?

Then why are all the track records shorter distances than the road records?

Piddling around with something about rules for this and that in ultramarathon distances...

Over in the International Association of Ultramarathons and Muffin Baking Contests is this list:

The IAU has a nice home office address in Monaco.

4.2 Performances to be considered for IAU WBP’s
                        The following events are considered for ratification as IAU WBP’s and Area Best
                        Perfromances:
                        Road Track Indoors
                        6hrs 6hrs 6hrs
                        12hrs 12hrs 12hrs
                        24hrs 24hrs 24hrs
                        48hrs 48hrs 48hrs
                        6days 6days 6days
                        50kms 50kms 50kms
                        100km 100km 100km
                        100miles 100miles 100miles
                        1000 miles 1000miles
                        Team of three for 24hrs & 100k

The first question to be begged--anyone want to do a track 1000 miler?

xor

I have run the 6 hour version of this race and even won hardware.

No, it does not fill up.

ALSO... in addition to the one mile paved loop race called "24 the hard way" (with 12 and 6 hour options), they hold a second set of races simultaneously on a 2 mile dirt trail loop called "the double dirty dozen".  Same 24, 12, 6 hour options.  Completely different kind of animal.  The two races cross at the loop start/finish.

They do chip lap counting for all these races and a partial last lap counts... they give you a pin flag toward the very end... when the shotgun goes boom (common finish for the 6 and 12 hour races... another one 12 hours later for the 24), you place your flag wherever you happened to be.  Or thereabouts... I saw a bit of shenanigans the year I did it.  Not much.

Also, tornado sirens during the race.

bhearn

I probably do need to correct the fact that I'm an Okie, but have never run an Oklahoma race.

xor

The RD of those races is a cat named Chisolm Dupree.  I swear.  Super nice guy, with the excellent OK name.

Kalsarikännit

Road Track Indoors

1000 miles 1000miles

The first question to be begged--anyone want to do a track 1000 miler?

What about the indoor 1000 miler? I feel like my dreams and goals have just been ripped away.