Ultra Runners

Eating on the Run (Read 603 times)

I'm noboby, who are you?

Interesting.

At what distance(s) do you find that you need to mix it up a little (adding fat or protein)?

To be honest I mix it up in all my races which starts with breakfast. My logic, why wait until you have a problem and then react. I prefer to be proactive. Put the bodyglide on before the blister.

I start off with a monster breakfast to include pancakes, eggs, bacon,  maybe a hour or so before a race. Obviously I don't need to eat much for a few hours and only pay attention to fluids.  In essence I have balanced my tank from the start so I only need to graze and keep the pump primed. Even as i eat, I try to throw down a PB&J or cheese sandwich which has all three. if i can get a pizza,. burger or hot dog, I'll pull up a table and chair and would do flips for an ice cream anything.  Maybe I need enter the 12 steps for eating.

For races that start before any restaurant opens, I'll bring along some egg salad and maybe some saltines for the salt.

I don't have any problems with a 50k.  In fact starting of with lots of calories,  I can get by without having to eat very much during the race and often get by on fig newtons  or other cookies if they have one I like. But again, I grab something that has balance. It doesn't mean I don't eat a banana but consciously do variety.  

In a way I trust  my eyes and gut. If my stomach says as I browse the table that the chocolate covered Siamese cat  turds looks good, It's going down the hatch.  It the chips look and taste good, your likely are low on salt.

If I eat balanced from the start I can eliminate or at least minimize my stomach issues. When I get past the 50 miles I need variety.  While I know I need the balance, just how many PB&J or cheese sandwiches can one eat before reverse peristalsis becomes an issue.  if I have a crew I'll try to have something that I like and not be served on the course.

I also know that some people don't or can't eat much before the race. I can only suggest that you start putting in calories as soon as you can. Eat early, don't wait until your gas tank gets low and you start to spit  and sputter.

Sorry about the long winded answer but food and fluid are always worthy to explore and match with your individual needs.There may be others that take an entirely different approach. I'm only suggesting what works for me and has for 20+ years. Find what works for you and try to discover as much as possible during your training runs.  I'm not a big proof reader, so I'll apologize ahead of time for grammatical *&^%'s. 

You'll ruin your knees!

If my stomach says as I browse the table that the chocolate covered Siamese cat  turds looks good, It's going down the hatch.  If the chips look and taste good, your likely are low on salt.

...so if the cat turds look and taste good, does it mean you are low on furballs?  Hooooccccccccckkkkkkkkk! HaaaaaaacccccccKKKKKKK!

I know it is sad, but this is a very true statement!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

We were winding up a newbie on the circuit last Saturday as he proudly announced that he normally flakes in the last quarter of a marathon so we asked if he could hand around as it would be quite entertaining to watch!

We reminded him that he should keep eating and drinking but if he ran out of pocket food he should rely on what he could find off the land. I went on to explain that if he got a small bit of cow pat and dropped it into his water bottle it would be surprisingly good.....no objection from him against this advice to which my buddy deceided to push it a little further by announcing that if he mixed it with some "yellow" snow it would make it more palatable.....poor bloke he just nodded and said thanks. Question is did he or didn't he drink cow poo and wee...............?

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

I start off with a monster breakfast to include pancakes, eggs, bacon,  maybe a hour or so before a race.

I don't have any problems with a 50k.  In fact starting of with lots of calories,  I can get by without having to eat very much during the race

If I eat balanced from the start I can eliminate or at least minimize my stomach issues. When I get past the 50 miles I need variety. 

I also know that some people don't or can't eat much before the race. I can only suggest that you start putting in calories as soon as you can. Eat early, don't wait until your gas tank gets low and you start to spit  and sputter.

Sorry about the long winded answer but food and fluid are always worthy to explore

Doug,

Thank you for the thoughtful answer, very informative and not long winded at all. This seems to mirror what I've found to work for me.

I can "fake" a 50k (bull my way through) but anything longer takes a certain finesse that I'm learning, albeit slowly.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn