Ultra Runners

Walk Run Strategy - 100 mile race (Read 407 times)

So I signed up for this 100 mile race in January.  The website bills it as about 50% trails/50% paved paths.  It's in Florida and I expect the entire thing to be extremely flat.  I am wondering, would it be better to time walking breaks to be during the paved sections or on the trails?

Steve

Having attempted a 145 mile ultra this year along a canal path from Birmingham to London the strategy will definitely not whether the ground is pavement or trail. I know of people who do 25/5 strategies which is 25 minutes running, 5 minutes walking but I find this is very wearing for me.

The battle you will have is the continual, melodic footfall which you do not get on a hilly run when your pace varies. I have a tendency to set my GPS system to show average pace in miles per hour so that I run at my comfortable pace and then walk when I feel like it. I have been known to run 25 miles before a break and then take it as I feel. I am a great lover of "If you want to be running at 50 miles, you have to be walking at 5 miles"

Without knowing the course you are taking it will be natural for you to be slowing down in the latter part and have a feeling you won't care it it is trail or pavement Smile

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

It totally depends on what you are used to.  If you have never gone the distance, it may make sense to establish some kind of routine like run 25 walk 5 or whatever works for you.  It is likely that the course will not force you to walk, so... remember to walk early and remember to run late!!! 

Good luck!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

So I signed up for this 100 mile race in January.  The website bills it as about 50% trails/50% paved paths.  It's in Florida and I expect the entire thing to be extremely flat.  I am wondering, would it be better to time walking breaks to be during the paved sections or on the trails?

I was considering that race. I could not figure out if sponsorship was a requirement. Knee issue made me a DNS at  the Tallahassee 50M today.

Now  it is time to find a 50M closer to home.

PS: Now I see the " if you choose to do so"clause for fundraising.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your responses.  I went and looked at some of the course this weekend and it is definitely flat.  Of the areas we saw, most of it was paved bike path, we didn't get to all the trail sections but most were hard packed sand.  There was one section with a small/muddy water crossing, which is strategically placed about a mile away from the out/back starting area on each loop.  So we get to hit that starting and finishing each of the 5 - 6 loops.