Ultra Runners

John Maas wins Kettle 100M (Read 71 times)

jjameson

This link shows the splits:

http://www.runrace.net/findarace.php?id=13152WI&tab=a5&spsht=4703#vSps

Again confirmation that master runners can still be competitive at long distances.  John has been a top competitor in the midwest for some years.  Don't know if Kettle classifies as a MAJOR race but I don't remember much master runners winning big 100 milers outright.  (The indomitable Jack Pilla winning Vermont 100M a few years ago comes to mind).  Congrats John!

I was watching the race from the internet Smile and it looks like it was a close one.  John must have patiently waited to lay the smack down for the final mile.  Congrats John, very impressive win!

Thanks so much for the kind words!

With 7.5 miles to go, I knew I was 4 minutes back, but I felt like crap.

My pacer, Ryan kept leading me, really ticking me off because I thought I was gonna die.

I really did not think we could catch him.

With 0.6 miles left, we spotted John Cash (the leader).

Put on one heck of a push to get past him and try to get him to give up.

Garmin shows 5:50/mile pace for the final 100 meters.

Edged him out by 36 seconds...

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Read that three times and still can't fathom surging in the nordic loop after 90+ miles. Kudos!!!

My pacer, Ryan kept leading me, really ticking me off because I thought I was gonna die.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

bhearn

That is awesome.

DoppleBock

Jannete had a nice weekend too

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yeah John!

DoppleBock

So Mr Maas are you coming back to FANS next year for the 25th anniversary

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That's awesome...congrats!

I can't even begin to fathom what it would feel like to get passed in the last 1/2 mile of a 100 mile race.  Nice win.

**Ask me about streaking**

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Congrats.  Would be crushing to lose a race, though, with that little distance/time to go.

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)

Mr. Big Horse:

FANS is a always a possibility for me.  Looking back, I have run there on even years ('08, '10 and '12).

Pattern test says so ..... Wink

Chose to go with Kettle this year for a couple reasons:

1) The move of FANS away from Nokomis.

I always felt at home with the traditional FANS setup at Nokomis.

Uncertainty about course, certification, etc.  (Sister Janette told me that the venue at FANS is great now!!!)

2) Some "friends" said I could do well at Kettle.  Good mix of everything there, and I needed to challenge my weaknesses.  I am not very good at technical trails and hills.. and Kettle had a good mix of that.  But the flat, humid marsh areas is where it went well for me. Smile

When is the big horse going to come out of the stable and crash the 24 hour scene again???

Or are you going to focus on the beer mile?

So Mr Maas are you coming back to FANS next year for the 25th anniversary

DoppleBock

Darn - I thought Janette was your wife ... I thought she was doing her own thing and you were doing yours that  weekend - My bad.

I do think the course is a little harder than Lake Nokomis, but it's a new course ... needing new couse records!

Mr. Big Horse:

FANS is a always a possibility for me.  Looking back, I have run there on even years ('08, '10 and '12).

Pattern test says so ..... Wink

Chose to go with Kettle this year for a couple reasons:

1) The move of FANS away from Nokomis.

I always felt at home with the traditional FANS setup at Nokomis.

Uncertainty about course, certification, etc.  (Sister Janette told me that the venue at FANS is great now!!!)

2) Some "friends" said I could do well at Kettle.  Good mix of everything there, and I needed to challenge my weaknesses.  I am not very good at technical trails and hills.. and Kettle had a good mix of that.  But the flat, humid marsh areas is where it went well for me. Smile

When is the big horse going to come out of the stable and crash the 24 hour scene again???

Or are you going to focus on the beer mile?

LOL, No aplogies neccessary.

Janette is my older sister, and we share the same last name and genetic abnormalities.  There is some sort of German compulsive addictive stubborn competitive running disorder going on in the blood lines.

My wife is normal and runs 5K to marathon distances.

Darn - I thought Janette was your wife ... I thought she was doing her own thing and you were doing yours that  weekend - My bad.

I do think the course is a little harder than Lake Nokomis, but it's a new course ... needing new couse records!