Ultra Runners

Falling (Read 187 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Fell 8 times in my 50-miler last week. No injuries, and had fun. But, wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Fell more like 3 or 4 times in previous years at same race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bhearn

You must be doing something wrong. I don't fall.

Imminent Catastrophe

It's mental. When I fall it's usually on a flat, easy section. When I'm not paying attention. I once fell on an almost perfectly flat, paved bikepath. Then again, after a particularly technical, rocky, rooty trail run, I was jogging back to my car in the parking lot and, yep, down I went.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ojo

Funny . . . I fell 5 times at my last 50k always right before an aid station.  I guess I got excited for some food and drink?  Big grin

It didn't hurt during the race but boy was my upper body sore the following 3 days!

Sara

MM #2929

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh that explains it then.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You KNOW you just jinxed yourself, don't you? Beware the roots at Rocky Wink

To the OP: while I fortunately don't fall as much as I used to, it still happens.  Of course, it now seems to happen on the widest, least technical part of the trail, probably because I think it's okay to let my mind wander.

bhearn

Doesn't matter. It's something supernatural; I don't fall. Trip, yes, all the time. There was a five-mile stretch of Western States (early!) where I swear I kicked every damn rock. The people ahead and behind of me must have gotten quite tired of my exclamations. I beat my toes black and blue; I always wear minimalist shoes.

But I always recover.

xor

Fell 8 times in my 50-miler last week. No injuries, and had fun. But, wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Fell more like 3 or 4 times in previous years at same race.

I once fell 7 times during a 50 miler.

And where was that?

At the Sunmart 50 miler.  Which uses the same trails as Rocky Raccoon.

Ok then.

(At actual Rocky Raccoon, which I did 3/5s of, I didn't fall.  Go figure.)

crunch19

To the OP: while I fortunately don't fall as much as I used to, it still happens.  Of course, it now seems to happen on the widest, least technical part of the trail, probably because I think it's okay to let my mind wander.

This happens to me! I always go down the hardest on the trail when it's a fire-road type section and flat. I just don't pay enough attention to that random root or rock that gets in the way. You'd think I'd learn by now.

Another thing that trips me often are small tree stumps. You know the ones that are left behind on a trail when they cut down a very young tree and that tiny 1 or 2" stump is just poking up just enough? I catch those a lot.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

AP- When I saw your post I was hoping to find the answer here.  

I know that I'm doing something wrong Undecided

steph