Ultra Runners

Frito Bandito Invitational MAYF.A.R. Report (Read 629 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Frito Bandito Invitational MAYF.A.R. (May Fat @ss Run)

12 Hour – 8 pm till 8 am - May 30/31, 2010

North Texas -single track trails

Lynn B (coordinating bandito)

“Doesn’t passing through the sole of my shoe and my socks sterilize it?”, Buddy asks in a hopeful tone.  Paul replies with a question, “Are you current on your shots?”  Buddy describes the damage as “a classic puncture wound” and we go on to discuss the merit of trail shoe/sock sterilization of mesquite/ honey locust thorns (honey locust pictured here)

and how these grounded thorns have been aged in horse fecal matter and urine… you know, typical late-night trail running banter.   This obstacle presents itself to Buddy somewhere in his third 6.5 mile loop of the Frito Bandito Invitational MAYFAR.  In spite of his “classic puncture wound”, Buddy will go on to be the first to finish 5 full loops of rolling, wooded single track, complete with tarantula, armadillo, skunk and other challenges of the reptilian nature.

This first ever event was held on some sweet single track on private property in North Texas.  Conceived of a “back to the roots of ultra-running” flavor (no entry fee, no shirt, no aid), the run was scheduled as a 12 hour format, billed as 8 pm to 8 am.  A few of the participants toyed with the idea of approaching (or exceeding) 50 miles during the event, however, temps topping out in the high 90’s during the day (never got below mid 80’s) with high humidity made for an interesting night.  All 7 participants agreed that each consecutive loop was longer than the last, reaching a consensus that their  last loop was at least 10 miles. 

Wooded trails that normally provide a cool respite from the heat became quite stifling, with no air stirring but for what the runners generated (yep, go ahead and use your imagination, let’s just say that Dave and Jesse were a gas!).  The run format was to complete as many loops as desired, just sign in and write down the actual time of day/night at the end of each loop, take whatever aid you brought with you, then head out in the opposite direction on the next loop.  In the end, the many short ups/downs took a toll and none would go beyond the fifth loop even though time was plentiful.  While the times are not overly impressive for a 50ish K event, all seem pleased with their effort for a good night’s run. 

The “banditos” are requesting another attempt in cooler weather…we’ll see, but what about the JUNF.A.R.?  AUGF.A.R?  

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Carl A

Now that sounds like the kind of thing I'd like. Congratulations on hosting it.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

That sounds fun!

I got a puncture wound this weekend too, but mine didn't have the sterilization of a shoe and sock.  Of course, it was just a thick stalk of mowed bamboo, erh, grass so not much to worry about in general.

Too bad Texas isn't within driving distance of Maine...an overnight Fat Ass sounds like a good challenge that we haven't really done out here too much (just a few late night runs when guys were in training for Western States or Vermont.) 

Guess that means I'll have to find a weekend to organize one...

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jfa

Nice race and read. Here's to cooler temps for the next one. I'm not sure, but I think crazy Glue also works on puncture wounds, We should all carry it with us.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Great report.  I would not deal well with those temps... at all... congrats on organising such a fun event!

Nice! Sounds like a good time. I wish we had an overnight run like that around here.

~Sara
              It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Sounds like a fun time, puncture wounds and all!  Unfortunately, TX is not within driving distance of NorCal.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance