Ultra Runners

Training level to *run* a 50M? (Read 95 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

For fifty miles it seemed like 32-35 miles on roads or 5-6 hours on trails was plenty.  When you get beyond 30 miles without a good underlying endurance base, you need to pay close attention to recovery during each training week.  During training you need to (should?) be able to run consecutive long-run weekends, which, I suppose, turns this back to -- are you training to run the whole thing (terrain permitting)?

I thought... (weakly and with lots of wandering and almost no justification):

One 30-35 mile road run (5-6 hours on trails) would get you through a 50-mile whatsit.

Two --- would, maybe, let you run just about all of it.

Three -- run the whole thing and maybe be thinking of down into the single-digit hour stuff.

Four -- racing instead of running.

John, the base should be there. ~50 miles per week and increasing with back to backs lr's almost every week and fartleks in between just one day off (work). i have done a few 30 mile training runs and like these a lot but they get in the way of other priorities. my 50k time was 5:40 but i am faster now and have much better shoes..so 2 should be within reach depending on what you mean by running. i did read your book and am somewhat familiar with the shuffle-assuming this doesn't count as running. i am thinking perhaps 90% running but i do like to walk near the aid stations to get more down the hatch quickly and also stop to stretch every 10 miles or so. 3: single digits would be my "A" goal but a lofty one. the race in question is in the mountains in AZ in april and starts at 10am which gives me roughly 9 hours of daylight. 4: = always racing but this is tricky. at the 7 hour race i did i was way out front for the first 18 miles or so and i kept thinking i should run relatively fast while the weather was still cool and while it still felt easy...ended up getting my butt kicked by someone i had previously lapped a few times (1.5 mile loop). so i have learned and am working on my 9's. at my age i can win 5 k's but not even in the top 10% for these ultras Smile

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

bhearn

What is the 50-miler?  You mentioned Rocky--Rocky could be totally runnable, but t-storms could mess with things... bbbyyy

I used a flat-and-fast road marathon as a last long tempo run three weeks before a mostly gravel road 50-miler, then an easy two-hour run the following Saturday (two weeks before the ultra).  What sort of taper (two-week, three-week, ???) do you use?

Yes, I'm contemplating Rocky Raccoon and have a road marathon (Houston) 3 weeks prior.  RR is only a bit over 8 weeks from now, so not much time at all.  I'm thinking of using the roadie as a "tempo" and then do another really long run the following week (4-5 hours).  I prefer shorter tapers, so the final two weeks would be a rapid wind down.

In the meantime, I need to get time on the trails.  Good insights and articles, guys.

bhearn

If you haven't run Houston before, all the concrete can beat you up.

If you haven't run Houston before, all the concrete can beat you up.

Right you are.  I ran it last year and remember too well.

rlopez

I tried Rocky in 2012.  What I have not previously disclosed is that two weeks prior as my last long weekend, I ran a gnarly trail 50k on saturday followed by a 50k on sunday that was all concrete.

I broke my foot at Rocky two weeks later.

Caution is advised.