Ultra Runners

First 100 miler (Read 449 times)

on Saturday. Would it hurt to do 3-4 miles every day this week or should I really take a few days off before the race???? Ughhhhhh I feel so un prepared!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You'll ruin your knees!

I have run up to 30 miles the week leading up to a 100 miler.  If you feel good and you take it nice and easy, I don't see why 3-4 miles would be a problem.  It's gonna feel like super light days compared to your recent past! 

Good luck,
      Lynn B

MTA: just went back and checked... 8 miles on Sunday, 14+ on Monday, 7.7 on Tuesday, Wed off, 8 on Thurs, Fri off... 100 miles on Sat (actually 27 hours, 2nd place overall!!!)... So, I don't see what a few miles leading up to it will hurt!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I have run up to 30 miles the week leading up to a 100 miler.  If you feel good and you take it nice and easy, I don't see why 3-4 miles would be a problem.  It's gonna feel like super light days compared to your recent past! 

Good luck,
        Lynn B

MTA: just went back and checked... 8 miles on Sunday, 14+ on Monday, 7.7 on Tuesday, Wed off, 8 on Thurs, Fri off... 100 miles on Sat (actually 27 hours, 2nd place overall!!!)... So, I don't see what a few miles leading up to it will hurt!

Didn't think anyone checked in here after I posted. Thanks again Lynn!! I will be taking it easy. Can't believe i'm doing this! I just soooooooooooooooo want to be able to say I DID IT!!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Like Lynn, I run everyday, even before a big race... just easy and shorter than normal. 

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

The only thing you can do now by running is risk injury; you will not get faster or stronger or smarter or anything during the week prior.

I would generally advocate for whatever keeps your legs loose but not risk injury or depleat energy stores.  Possibly 2 times early in the week no more than 5 miles each with maybe a 2-3 miles the day before for an equipment check.  This may be a great time to spend with family and others that have supported you through the training. 

As cgerber said, HAVE FUN!!! and enjoy the experiences.

Dennis

The only thing you can do now by running is risk injury; you will not get faster or stronger or smarter or anything during the week prior.

I would generally advocate for whatever keeps your legs loose but not risk injury or depleat energy stores.  Possibly 2 times early in the week no more than 5 miles each with maybe a 2-3 miles the day before for an equipment check.  This may be a great time to spend with family and others that have supported you through the training. 

Dennis

Thanks and fun is an absolute MUST!

Dennis

I was only thinking of 3-4 very easy miles  each day. Enough to get the blood flowing all done while the family is away (kids at camp, dh at work)  I haven't been training for this, I've been training to better my BQ time come October. I had forgotten I had signed up for this last year , however I got an email last Friday. I had to remind myself that no matter what I do it's not going to make it any easier or make me go any faster that if anything I need to be carefull as to not risk injury etc.

Thanks for the input Dennis!

Into the wild

Good luck Pam....no advice to offer you but to enjoy it when you can.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventure.

Shut up and run

Purdey

Self anointed title

Pam

You've put the miles in the bank and got to 2000 this year, (well before me), now go out there, have fun and finish that race.... smiling!

Tom

I'm can be of absolutely no help in this area, but GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!  Let us know how it goes.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PS: I only run everyday because it's a compulsive addiction...not for any training benefit. 

Which 100 are you running?

On On

PS: I only run everyday because it's a compulsive addiction...not for any training benefit. 

Which 100 are you running?

Viaduct Trail 100 in PA

Put on by another RunningAHEAD Member Carl A.

Small Fat Ass style run.  12.5 miles on a rail trail then turn around.  Do that 4 times.

You'll ruin your knees!

huh...

Two RA'ers in the shorter event last year!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks for posting the link Rick! Carl is also a member of this group (I believe) .

Thanks for posting those Lynn. Amanda will be running the first loop with me and helping crew me a bit.

Looks like my body did my planning for me. I caught dh's head cold. Got a run in yesterday however I will take at least today if not the next two days off from running.  Pumping myself with lots of Vitamin C & D in hopes of kicking this thing fast. We shall see. 

WOW it's almost time

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks for posting the link Rick! Carl is also a member of this group (I believe) .

Thanks for posting those Lynn. Amanda will be running the first loop with me and helping crew me a bit.

Looks like my body did my planning for me. I caught dh's head cold. Got a run in yesterday however I will take at least today if not the next two days off from running.  Pumping myself with lots of Vitamin C & D in hopes of kicking this thing fast. We shall see. 

WOW it's almost time

Some of my best races have been on the heels of an illness that slowed me down a bit leading into race week!!! 

Rock'n'roll Pammmmmmmmm!