Ultra Runners

There is Something Wrong With Me (Read 463 times)

Kalsarikännit

You know how most people start tweaking horrifically before a goal marathon or longer?  I have my first 5k in two years this weekend and I'm walking around like I may start weeping at any moment.  I go into 100 milers a million times more calm than this.  Who the hell does this before a 5k?  Is this from inexperience in racing 5k's?  Is it because I don't feel fast after starting running back up four months ago?  Is it because I know it will hurt like hell right when I need to pick it up?  Is it because anything less than a massive PR will be a disappointment?  

Is there anyone else who is scared shitless of the short stuff?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

5ks are haaarrrd!

So fast! So scary!

And, maybe the tweakishness is as intense as the race. One can only sustain so much for so long ... 

(If it's any consolation, I was tweaking over NC24 weeks out. [Now, I'm resigned - with a catawampus foot.])

Liz

pace sera, sera

Feeling the growl again

The 800m scares the snot out of me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I am totally scared of 5k's now.  They taunt me.  I can't beat my old PR and I don't want to keep on failing, so I'm just going to avoid trying!

Michelle

I think when you are used to running the longer stuff, the shorter races are hard to find a rhythm on. It's harder for me to gauge how fast is too fast for a 5K, when I feel like I'm going at near maximum speed the first two miles of a half marathon.

I was considering doing a 5K this weekend too, but am probably going to pass because it means I'll have to break up my long run before/after the race and getting in one last good long run before the 50 is more important to me right now.  Thought about doing one next Saturday but logic tells me this could be a really stupid thing to do...

Kalsarikännit

I'll have to break up my long run before/after the race and getting in one last good long run before the 50 is more important to me right now.  

That is the other thing on my mind.  I'd like to do the 19 miler on Sat up at Kettle Moraine, but it is silly to drive two hours each way to run 19 miles.  I was going to break up the long run, but that doesn't sound good.  I just think I will do 20 on Monday morning.

xor

I think you should do some 800s today. That will help.

(I get kind of nervous before super short races, and they hurt like hell... but it is way different.  I'll be over way quick.)

((and then there's pie))

Kalsarikännit

Whoa! Look at that. I don't care what anyone says, that SRL is a smart guy. I did 8x800 at goal 5k pace. The recoveries were 400, but as I progress those will be 90 seconds.

you are most definitely not alone Jen. 

Good luck and kick some ass this weekend!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm kinda in the same boat. Most of last year I was limping along on a bad hamstring, so it's been almost 2 years since I really raced a 5k. I'm about to jump into one sometime here soon and it is sort of unnerving. I feel like I have to learn how to do it all over again, and I'm pretty much sure my results for the first one or two will in no way match my current fitness. I'm planning to sneak off to the first one without my local running buds. Nobody needs to see the ugliness that I'll likely put on display. Of course with my luck they'll all show up anyway.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Yasso's, I heard that they are a great race predictor

I think you should do some 800s today. That will help.

))

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Short stuff scares me too. I don't even remember the last time I ran a 5k... I ran a 400, followed by a 200, followed by a 100 as part of a CrossFit workout a couple weeks ago and felt like I was flailing about uncontrollably. Then I wanted to puke when I was done.

~Sara
                          It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

My husband and I will be visiting his small hometown next month.  Last night I noticed that there

is a 5k scheduled for the week that we'll be there.  

So, of course I signed us up.  Husband's small hometown 5k = scary.

Good luck Jen!

steph  

So how did the 5k go? 

I am now tweaking big time for Ice Age.  Did I train enough?  Am I tapering too little/too much?  Am I going to go out and blow my race before 30 miles?  Are my goals to aggressive or too wimpy?  Will I be ingesting too much caffeine via my energy gels?  Should I wear both a hydration back and handheld, or only one, and if so which one?  Am I going to spend 5 minutes looking for my drop bag again or forget about it entirely? 

Kalsarikännit

So how did the 5k go? 

Should I wear both a hydration back and handheld, or only one, and if so which one? 

Ugh.  It hurt.  I stunk.  I was a solid minute over where I thought I was at.  I was mopey the whole day then the next day I had a great long run, so I feel a little better.  One nice thing I noticed about the workouts I have been putting in is that my form has improved.  I pick up my knees and kick up my heels.  When I got on the Ice Age trail for a training run, I handled the technical parts much better than I usually do.  I didn't fall once, and that is pretty unheard of for me.  The 5k's will come around.  I'm going to keep on putting in good workouts which I know can only help my overall speed and help my ultras.  I'm tired of being a shuffler.

FF- I am going with a handheld until the drop bag at mile 9, then throwing on my hydration pack.  I'd rather just go with the handheld, but I need a way to carry drink mix.  They have HEED, which is causing me more stress than it should this running season, because every race has it, and I need to find a way to get in a sports drink while avoiding that evil stuff.