Ultra Runners

2011 UTMB (Read 582 times)

Kalsarikännit

UTMB has a stacked field for 2011. 

BTW...This is fast becoming one of those dream races for me, even more than Comrades (that has got to be some kind of ultrarunning blasphemy).

http://www.irunfar.com/2011/01/americans-drawn-for-utmb.html

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

The King of Beasts

this is no joke

• Krissy Moehl
    • Diana Finkel
    • Darcy Africa
    •  

i dont follow women much (haha), but I dont remember seeing those three in the same race before ?

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Holy crap.  That's a stacked field!

Would love to run that one, one of these days.  Once the kids are old enough to fly across the pond without driving me insane.

The King of Beasts

I hope to get out there one day.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Weird.  DB is not on the list.

Weird.  DB is not on the list.

I don't think he met the qualifying standards...they are pretty strict.  Appears they won't let you do it, even if you're elite, like DB.

per their site:

As in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, we donot accept any dispensation demand to these regulations: our undertaking as organiser is to apply these regulations in a way that is rigorous and identical for ALL the runners without exception.

Attention : it is not be possible to enrol for UTMB®, the CCC® or the TDS 2011 by making reference to a race not featuring in this list. All demands for accreditation of race as qualifying race for the Ultra-Trail® 2011 must therefore reach us BEFORE the opening of enrolment for 2011.

Qualifying races.

DoppleBock

A Couple of things that are not on my wish list currently

UTMB

Mt Everest

I do find the list curious - Toughest 50 in WI = Glacial.  Most Competetive 50 in WI (Montrail Cup) = Ice AGe.  A decent 100M in WI = KM 100 - None on the list.  But NorthFace 50M is on the list ???  Dances with Dirt 50M is a great WI 50 ... not on the list.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

UTMB

Mt Everest

I do find the list curious - Toughest 50 in WI = Glacial.  Most Competetive 50 in WI (Montrail Cup) = Ice AGe.  A decent 100M in WI = KM 100 - None on the list.  But NorthFace 50M is on the list ???  Dances with Dirt 50M is a great WI 50 ... not on the list.

They'd probably take them on petition.  A friend of mine ran it numerous years ago and had to petition to get them to make Hardrock (!!!) a qualifying race.  Seems they don't really research it..they just let people come to them with races and add them to the list.

Imminent Catastrophe

UTMB

Mt Everest

Yeah, the qualifying list for WS100 has a lot of Confused too. 

Headlands 50--qualifier.

Headlands Hundred--not a qualifier. 

It's their party and they'll cry if they want to.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

They would have perhaps allowed it if it was called Jeadlands Jundred.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I have to say I as a "fan" I am somewhat disappointed with all the U.S. DNFs.  Those guys got beat down by the Euros.  I don't know the story but read on Dakota's blog that Koerner finished what sounds like a death march.  Glad he didn't DNF another race.  

What big 100 hasn't been won by a foreigner this year?  What do they do differently overseas or was it just a down year for Yanks.

UROY - Killian?  Clarke ran 3x100 in about 2 months and did well in all but never won.  

• Black Canyon 100k
                          • RRR
                          • Zane Grey 100k
                          • High Lonesome 100
                          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                          • The Bear 100
                          • Javelina Jundred (?)