Ultra Runners

What I've learned (feel free to join in) (Read 814 times)

jjameson

1.  There is no substitute for consistent week-in and week-out running

2.  Every long run (over 25 miles) is like money in the bank

3.  If you can't recover from your long run in 2-3 days your long run is too long for your base.

4.  If you want to finish well in an ultra you have to do some tempo/speed work

5.  Your body needs rest to consolidate your training

6.  Vary your workouts with hills, speed, and endurance.  Running 10 miles at 9mpm pace trains you for just that.

7.  Not every run feels great

Awesome list.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

It's never too early to start eating bacon during the race.

You'll ruin your knees!

1. It doesn't always get worse.

2. Right foot, left foot, repeat.

3. Learn to avoid the easy places to drop from a race.

4. You can't put miles in the bank.

5. The hardest part about any run is the first 50 yards.

6. Smiling and encouraging others in a race will help you more that it will them.

7. If you take enough gel, you will realize that every brand has a vomit flavor.

8. Cartilage makes running easier.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

xor

>> 3. Learn to avoid the easy places to drop from a race.

I paced at Javelina this weekend.  15.5 mile loop you do six times, plus a 9 mile loop (yes, it is longer than 100).

The DNF rate at Javelina is pretty high... and if you ever run the loop, you will wonder why.  This year, we didn't even have a super hot day.

I think the biggest issue is that you go by the start/finish after each loop.  Plus they will give you a little 100k buckle if you drop at 4 loops.

Might be little too tempting to say "Nah, I think I'm done".

Oh, and it started raining about 10p... which it *never* does.  Hard rain too.  That start/finish line area suuuuurely was comfy.

5. The hardest part about any run is the first 50 yards.

I don't understand this.  To me the first 3/4 of most races beyond a 1/2 marathon are fun...

Carl A

Some useful concrete nouns:

• food
                • water
                • salt
                • light
                • heat
                • feet

Some abstract ones that are even more important:

• spirit
                • love

When I'm aware enough to use them, these words can get me through a transition and onto the next leg without wasting time.

Also useful in other aspects of life.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I don't understand this.  To me the first 3/4 of most races beyond a 1/2 marathon are fun...

I'm guessing it means that getting out the door is the hard part.  Once you're running, it's all good.

DoppleBock

1)  If you want a bigger challenge add a lot of daily beer to your diet and see if you can still train consistently

2)  Lots of daily beer and little to no water will teach you how to run dehydrated

3)  Its important if you do #2 to eat lots of bacon to keep things inside greased up

4)  For best "race Simulation" training - get 2 dozen Krispe Creams - Run 2-3 miles eat one ... repeat.

5)  Sleep is overrated

Now for serious ones

6)  You can get away with back to back hard workouts - Only sometimes.  Eventually they start to take a toll and break you down.

7)  A series of good workouts (say ever other day) is better than 1 great workout you take the rest of the week to recover from

8)  You only need to run really long (30-50 miles) 2 times a month

9)  I will take one 30-40 mile run any day over back to back 20s

10)  Keep JJameson un-injured and he turns into an ultra beast

11)  Its easier to run an ultra at 200 pounds than it is at 228 pounds

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The best way to finish is to not stop.

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm guessing it means that getting out the door is the hard part.  Once you're running, it's all good.

Eight ball...yep!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The best way to stop is to finish.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Dump the Garmin and run based on feel

DoppleBock

This one has never made sense to me, but ... everytime I have naggy injury stuff, it seems to work itself out after a nice 4+ hour trail run, but do 10 miles on the road it makes it worse.

Plus - There is no-where to hide the view of you taking a dump above the tree line

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

KvnJns

1)  If you want a bigger challenge add a lot of daily beer to your diet and see if you can still train consistently

Tried this one this summer and  it wasn't pretty. Got lazy and drank a lot. Now I'm 15lbs heavier and out of shape.

Kevin