Ultra Runners

Ice Age Trail 50 (Read 209 times)

My sweet new crank!

Hey folks, about 2 months out now from this ultra. I am ramping up the miles and getting pretty excited about doing my first 50M. Any one else doing this race this year? Anyone in the Madison area that may want to log some miles? I am sure that several of you have done this race before, so tips advice etc would be well recieved. I appreciate any further motivation or discussion...Cheers
    Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO

who knows...

I am planning on running the race. However, since I do not live near Madison (but in NJ) I can only run in spirit. From all that I have heard, the Ice Age is a good race. Good luck with it.
      "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

My sweet new crank!

Thanks. I officially registered. I am getting excited.

My sweet new crank!

So in preparation for this race, I did my first 50K yesterday. It was not easy. I think I am realizing the depth of mental toughness I will need to bring with me to the 50M race. I am glad there are aid stations along the way. I did the 50K solo with no crew/support. I think that helped some, but I will need that support along the way for another 19 miles... Damn right I can do it though!
          Carl A

Good job, Ryan, on the 50K solo!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

jdmcgregor

All business

Good job, Ryan, on the 50K solo!
              Ditto to that! Cheers to your self-motivation! I'm actually thinking about running the Ice Age 50 as well. I just ran a 50k this weekend, and feel like maybe the time is right. It would be my first 50M. Haven't registered yet, but would like to hear what anyone has to say about it.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

My sweet new crank!

I just did 31-33 m training run Saturday on course. Gorgeous course. Had 9k of ascent and 9k descent. Felt great Sunday. Course was dry and I should have run a bit slower and enjoyed it more. I live an hour from there, and had never been there. I will get out there more often just to run. I am no expert, but it is one of the most scenic courses I have ever been on. From lake views, meadows, pine forests, singletrack rocky hills. There was a great group of people training out there. Many experts that have run the course for 25 plus years, and a lot of rookies llike me trailing them, trying to learn all we can. I think this is the same course that The North Face EC is run on in October, and the fall will be beautiful. As well it coves a lot of the Kettle 100. A few more weeks and I will hit that finish line and relish my first 50m. I am ready for a couple weeks off!!! Undecided