Ultra Runners

How to get and monitor sodium with no aide stations (Read 498 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Curious about S Caps.

Many Ultrarunners seem to use them.  I have both Endurolytes and Salt Stick.

The latter seem to offer additional minerals/electrolytes while S Caps are Sodium only from what I see.

Thoughts?

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

I'm noboby, who are you?

Thanks for all the good advice.

I am not going to the states for this one.   It is the Resurrection 50miler here in Alaska.  The problem is we have had such a cool summer (top temp 60) and it is projected to warm up.  Up here the sun can be brutal if there are no clouds because it just won't go away.  It stays at the same angle for 16 or more hours.  

I found some "THERMOTABS" at my local pharmacy.  Label says its for "golphers and tennis players" hah, that is kind of funny.  But it is a buffered tab and it  has 452mg of sodium chloride in each tablet.  

I have a training run in the mountains tomorrow (20 miles with 5000' elevation gain) the temp is supposed to be 70degrees or more.  I will give them a shot and plan on taking one per hour.

Thanks again.

Please take note, it's only 180 mg of Sodium with the sodium coming from compound  NaCl.  If you find the 70 degrees causes a high sweat rate, You may need to take more than one.

Serving Size: 1 tablet

Servings Per Container: 100
      Amount Per Serving %DV
      Sodium 180 mg 8%
      Potassium 15 mg <1%
      Sodium Chloride 450 mg

Potassium Choloride 30 mg

I'm noboby, who are you?

Curious about S Caps.

Many Ultrarunners seem to use them.  I have both Endurolytes and Salt Stick.

The latter seem to offer additional minerals/electrolytes while S Caps are Sodium only from what I see.

Thoughts?

A  common marketing ploy is to load up a basic product with other "stuff" to make sound like a heath food. Look  at vitamin water for example. I think The Hammer folks with E also get carried away with extra stuff that is not needed or likely a problem if you take a lot of them.

• Supplement Facts:
        • Serving Size: 1 capsule
        • Servings Per Container: 120 capsules
        • Amount Per Serving:
        • Sodium Chloride 100 mg.
        • Calcium (Chelate) 50 mg.
        • Magnesium (Chelate) 25 mg.
        • Potassium (Chelate) 25 mg.
        • Vitamin B-6 (Pyrodoxine HCL) 6.6 mg.
        • Manganese (Chelate) 1.6 mg.
        • L-Tyrosine 50 mg

I don't know if this is from the bottle but 100 mg of NaCl is deceptive as it really only has 40 mg of sodium.

let's suppose it's a hot day and you need to take 10 an hour. Yes 400 mg per hour is not unreasonable and many people need more. I'll leave it up to the reader  to take the rest of contents and multiply it out to see for instance  how  much Magnesium that would be by the hour for a 10 hour 50.That's a 100 caps. Do you know how much magnesium for example, you need? And from a PITA(pain inther ...) perspective who wants to carry a 100 or more? care to calculate this for a 24 hour 100? Wink 

Do you have any idea how much of these individual ingredients you really need during and endurance event?  Let's not forget the average runner is also eating from the table and you're  getting even more. IMHO, more is not better. 

So yes S!caps only have only salt and done by design to control only your sodium input. Please, I have no financial interest in the product, just a lot of homework to cover my  70 ultra races. The vitamins and minerals are purposely left out. If you eating and drinking at the aid stations you should be able to get what you need from whole or liquid food.

As always, 

Caveat Lector