Ultra Runners

Wrigley and all who have tried Hokas (Read 482 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

How are you liking your Hokas?

How hard are they to get used to?  

Is the learning curve due to the low drop or the added hight or both?

Do they make the high milage easier on the feet / ankles?

Which model did you choose?

Does anyone using them have wide feet?

Actually I almost ordered some this weekend but my presumed size was

out of stock at Running Warehouse.   And that is a lot of $$$  for some thing I have 

too many questions aboutRoll eyes

steph  

DoppleBock

I saw where there were coyotes outside Wrigley Field - Hope Wile E. Coyote didn't get to her.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

RunJasonRun

I tried a pair of Hoka One One Bondi B shoes this summer.  I found out that a pair in my size (14) was on sale at a local store just hours before I participated in an evening half marathon race.  I tried them out by running a couple blocks around the running store, bought them, and wore them to the half marathon.  I ran well, finished with a sub-2-hour time, and enjoyed the feel of the Hokas, but I had been dealing off-and-on with some Achilles tendonitis pains at the time, and these Achilles pains were exacerbated by the Hokas.  

The next morning, I ran a couple miles in the Hokas and suffered more Achilles pain.  I switched to my faithful Brooks Adrenaline road shoes and the pain disappeared almost instantaneously.  I returned the Hokas to the running store and grabbed another pair of Brooks Adrenalines in their place.  

In all fairness, I should not have have used a half marathon race as an introduction to the Hokas, and, instead, I should have gradually increased mileage in the shoes.  I may try another pair later on, now that my Achilles problems are no longer a factor.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Ostrich runner

I haven't put mine on in a year. I don't see any purpose for me wearing them if I'm running less than 20 miles. I tend to twist my ankles - not badly, but just enough to be annoying on anything off camber. Neither the drop or the height bothered me at all. It's the squishiness. If it doesn't load up evenly, it can cause problems. They didn't really take me much time to get used to. The first couple miles always feels silly, but there didn't seem to be a big learning period or anything. I have very wide feet. The felt nice enough, but I do get a hotspot on the outside of my big toes. Once I knew that, I put vaseline there and did not have any issues with 30 miles in them. Do not pay full price for these shoes. If you hang around the discount sites or run google shopping searches every so often you might be able to find them half price. I think I paid well under half price. I might put them on again one day. There are some courses I would like them, but I couldn't see training in them regularly or wearing them for anything other than an ultra. My running partner and I bought them at the same time. He wore them more than me, but eventually blamed a calf and hamstring problem on them and threw them away.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thank's all!

DB- Two legged or four?  Better 4 than 2 I think.

Perfesser-  Smile

RJR / beef -  I've been using 4mm drop minimal for most of two years and they are fine

I love them up to Marathon distance or so.  After that feet and ankles get sore quickly.  

So, I guess that it is the height and squishiness I was worried about for me.  

Ankle turning and tripping are my MO anyway.  I'll try to find them on big sale then.

Thanks all!

steph  

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

A Valor on floats? Couldn't possibly be as bad as Hokas feel to me.

I'd LOVE to find something that's willing to absorb the miles for me. But ... when my foot isn't free to work as much as it likes [trapped between an upper and an un-bendy sole] and is always trying to find bottom [in the squishy morass], I end up with even more foot problems than I already have.

And, the platform-shoe profile just gives me the willies thinking about the increased leverage on my bird-like ankles over uneven trails.

Tried 'em. Wanted to like them for road ultras. But, definite no-go for me.

Liz

pace sera, sera

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

A Valor on floats? Couldn't possibly be as bad as Hokas feel to me.

I'd LOVE to find something that's willing to absorb the miles for me. But ... when my foot isn't free to work as much as it likes [trapped between an upper and an un-bendy sole] and is always trying to find bottom [in the squishy morass], I end up with even more foot problems than I already have.

And, the platform-shoe profile just gives me the willies thinking about the increased leverage on my bird-like ankles over uneven trails.

Tried 'em. Wanted to like them for road ultras. But, definite no-go for me.

This is what I am afraid of. 

Thanks Buzzie!

steph  

Purdey

Self anointed title

How are you liking your Hokas?

How hard are they to get used to?  

Is the learning curve due to the low drop or the added hight or both?

Do they make the high milage easier on the feet / ankles?

Which model did you choose?

Does anyone using them have wide feet? 

1.  I love them.  Wore them for Leadville and had zero issues with them.  Good for road, good for trail.

2.  It took me about two strides.

3.  No learning curve, I just ran naturally in them.  I like minimal drop shoes anyway so didn't need to adapt too much.

4.  Yes - for me they make the mileage much easier.  I mix and match though.  One day I'll wear Hokas and the next day I'll wear minimalist racing flats.

5.  Mafuta

6.  Yes some people have wide feet.  Wrigley girl has big feet, but I'm not sure if they are wide.  Mine are beautiful and delicate. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks Purdy!

Mine are short and fat!  Ugh.  

However, At Monkey, Wriggley',s appeared to be long and narrow like the rest of her.

And I mean that in a good way.

steph  

Kalsarikännit

So, my long winded Hoka reviews, featuring no paragraphs (posting by phone). I have four pair of Hokas. The Bondis, Mafate unisex, Mafate mens, and Mafate 2 mens. I don't like the Bondis. They make me run weirdly knock-knee'd. Maybe someone who has a beautiful, biomechanically efficient gait (bastards!) won't have this problem. The unisex Mafates were wonderful but stubby. I wore them at Badgerland and ended up with big blisters at the base of my toenails that shoved up and twisted my toenails. It helped contribute to my early drop. Also, I will never wear them on technical trails again. I rolled my ankle once in them. It was awful. That is a long way down to go. Otherwise they are great. I think some of it has to do with how they are rockered. When I got the new pair, the only ones I could get were the mens (they didn't have the unisex and they don't make a womens in my size). I got a half size bigger, and they are way too wide. I have a normal width foot. The Mafate 2's were used at Heartland. They were great. They have much bigger lugs than the regular Mafates. When I ran through some patches of wet, sandy mud they did not shed it well. Three times I had to stop and take a rock to the bottom of my shoes to get it off. They were like cinder blocks on my feet when mud was stuck to them.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

I think they are very different from any other shoe. They let the legs take more of a beating, but they make the glutes work much harder. I have to do long runs in them to get my butt ready to race long in them. Monkey was a long run for the upcoming DS24, so I wore them there. When everyone was crying about their quads on our trail run the next day, I only had my Yazoo induced hangover to complain about. They saved me a lot of beating.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

Huh, sounds perfect for me. I am well-endowed in the glute department. But I would hate the weight, I think.

I am looking for the perfect lightweight, cushioned trail shoe. Rogue Fly is nice, but doesn't last me 100 miles.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

If my ankles were stronger, I would wear them always.  On flat stuff they are a nice reprieve.  I like the Bondi's the best - they fit true.

The one thing I don't like about the newer Hokas (2012 models) is that they put leather on the uppers.  This is much less pliable and ended up rubbing my feet on top.  The Bondi Speed model has a shitty tongue and the laces caused a lot of pain on top of foot.  I sold them on ebay.

I am running in Brooks now but optimistic the NB Leadville or the Pearl Izumi Emotion line may provide some more cushion.

• Black Canyon 100k
                              • RRR
                              • Zane Grey 100k
                              • High Lonesome 100
                              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                              • The Bear 100
                              • Javelina Jundred (?)
                              Purdey

Self anointed title

Huh, sounds perfect for me. I am well-endowed in the glute department. But I would hate the weight, I think.

I am looking for the perfect lightweight, cushioned trail shoe. Rogue Fly is nice, but doesn't last me 100 miles.

Hokas are suprisingly light.