Ultra Runners

anyone ever (Read 309 times)

have a couple weeks off of running due to injury (my injury is my neck) and still able to race said planned  Ultra without it being a total slog. fest??? My 50 miler is in 3 weeks and I'm HOPING to be back to running by next week which will have given me 2 complete weeks off from running and no real cross training other than walking.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

I have experiened a couple of pleasant suprised through the years.

To me the main thing is to not kill youself these next 2 weeks - You do not need any large workouts as they will do no good.  Its really just about getting your legs back into the rythm of running.

Race day you will have to be conservative - Not sure of the 50M, but walk more often than you would normally - take it easy on the downs.  The one thing I believe I can do when I am in shape and running a lot is get away with tactical errors and still be stron enough to adjust.  In your circumstance you want to error on conservative as you will be get away with bad pacing / nutrition.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Kalsarikännit

Your mileage has been so good this year.  The body gets a little rest and you get to hop right back on it.  I think the miles you have put in will make sure that it isn't a slogfest.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

sounds like the perfect taper to me.  Smile

Pam, I'm on the same training plan! LOL. I think your mileage has prepared you. Maybe just start out a little more conservatively than you had originally planned and see how you feel once you're warmed up.

~Sara
            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Pam, I'm on the same training plan! LOL. I think your mileage has prepared you. Maybe just start out a little more conservatively than you had originally planned and see how you feel once you're warmed up.

I'm sorry!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks for the input!. Looks like I've got the right plan. I'm actually getting really psyched up for it since it's 21 days away now.

Ojo

I'm actually getting really psyched up for it since it's 21 days away now.

Me too!  Looking forward to running some miles with you.

Sara

MM #2929