Ultra Runners

Fall 50M congrats to J Jameson (Read 628 times)

DoppleBock

7:14 is nice ... real nice

http://www.onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php#racetop

Zach Bitter - Holy shitski - 5:26 - That's sweat on that course

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xor

Your link no work for me.  What race was this?

Those Monkey and Maniac folks familiar with Traci Falbo... she ran a 7:02 in her first 50 this weekend.  Dang.

DoppleBock

not sure why - Fall 50M

Door Country WI

1st 25 miles has @ 2000 feet of elevation change - the seconds is pretty flat - The 1st 25 has at least 5 hills that are pretty steep

This race was really built around teh relays - 5 person or 2 person

Huge ass beer / pizza post race binge

I was to run with a relay - But DD#1 EOY Volleyball Tourney was the same day.

7:14 is nice ... real nice

http://www.onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php#racetop

Zach Bitter - Holy shitski - 5:26 - That's sweat on that course

Excellent!  Congrats Joe!!

Wow!  Congratulations Joe and to Traci!

Michelle

jjameson

Thanks.

First 25 miles were 3:31, second 25 miles were 3:43

My goals were to not get injured and run all (or most) of the distance.  I wanted to get under 8 hours also.  My legs felt good and the day was perfect for running;  start was 40 degrees and low 50's at finish.  Ran with Christine the first 15 miles or so and she kept the pace very steady (I've found most good women runners are much better at a steady pace than I am).  It was good to see her running again.

Was on pace for 7 hours up to 35 miles but knew it wasn't in the cards.  Legs were really starting to hurt at that point and my pace slowed.  Finally I adopted a 10 minute cycle of 8 minutes running and 2 minutes fast walking.  Actually this worked very well and I was still able to run pretty strongly the last 5 miles.

For those interested in mile splits and elevation profile:  http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123813252

Joe

jjameson

Don't know who Zach Bitter is but I saw a guy take off from the start at about a 6 minute pace --  must have been him!  wow

Roch

Nice work JJ!  7:14 is pretty fast in my book.

jjameson

According to Ultrarunning Mag, Zach Bitter has the fastest time this year for a 50 Mile race in the US, time of 5:27.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/features/news/bitter-posts-2011s-fastes.shtml

The guy is 25, lots of time to get faster at ultras.  Oh yeah, he ran a 6:08 on the north face 50 in Madison a month before.  How do these guys do it?  I'd be lucky if I could complete a 50 a month after running one as a goal race...

Roch

The guy is 25, lots of time to get faster at ultras.  Oh yeah, he ran a 6:08 on the north face 50 in Madison a month before.  How do these guys do it?  I'd be lucky if I could complete a 50 a month after running one as a goal race...

I wonder the same thing.  It takes me 2-3 weeks to recover from a goal race.  There is no way I could go back out and "race" another 50M a month later.

DoppleBock

Receovery time is related to fitness level, age and genetics.  But we see all the time when elites get smacked in the ass with a bad race performance because of lack of recovery.  I will never be able to run that fast - But I can do 2 decent 50 mile efforts even 2 weeks apart, but that choice will cost me 3 months of crappy running and poor training, or more.

No such thing as overtraining - Only under recovering.

heather85

\.

No such thing as overtraining - Only under recovering.

Sad 

kopid905

http://zachbitterrunning.blogspot.com/

He talks about his training a bit in here.  He put in a few 170 mile weeks with lots of hill work to get his legs ready.

DoppleBock

I do not mean to offend anyone - But here take a marginally talented D-3 runner (Mid 26 8k college PR) and have him embrace the depth of running including ultras at an early age instead of just banging his head against the OTQ marathon brick wall and we get some pretty fun stuff.

I think he still runs everything from 5k - marathon and continues to improve - But from reading his blog he understand he is talented in 50M and has mentality to train and compete of harder trail courses - I hope he has a long career in ultras!

Thanks for the link!

http://zachbitterrunning.blogspot.com/

He talks about his training a bit in here.  He put in a few 170 mile weeks with lots of hill work to get his legs ready.