Ultra Runners

Transition (Read 212 times)

I am looking for general views here about my latest adventure.

On 10th April 2010 I am running in a 12 hour race around a 400 metre running track my soft target is to run 100 km (62 miles) my hard target is to reach the stars as I will be running for charity.(call it 70 miles)

Training started at the beginning of the year as a step up programme but tonight was the first time I moved onto the running track to undergo the transition between trail and track. It all went very well, I was amazed how differently I ran and how my body reacted to a smooth, flat, bouncy surface and how I will have to review my "perception of effort".

My trusty road shoes have about 100-150 miles left in them, should I continue track training in road shoes be it that I have to eventually run 70miles in them?

Anyone (OK I know you have Purdey) experience of Ultrarunning on track and have any gems of advice for this "Ultrarunner in transition"?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

You'll ruin your knees!

I am not sure I totally understand your question, but I think you are asking if you should continue to train in shoes with only about 150 miles of useful life AND run the 12 hour in them.  If so, I would recommend getting a replacement pair now and begin splitting time between the shoes... gradually working out of the old and into the new. 

I don' t believe you need special shoes for the track runs.  That said, I have no experience above 25 miles on a track (ran with a buddy one night to support his 100 mile attempt).  Not sure I would worry about it, but I wouldn't count on the existing shoes beyond their useful life...

If that is not what you are asking... nevermind.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You have answered my meandering question

I suppose the main thrust is running in road shoes on a track and are there alternatives

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily