Ultra Runners

Western States Bib #s (Read 450 times)

DoppleBock

With the possible addition of 4 more from Ice Age 50M May 12th

http://www.ws100.com/entrantlist.php

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

C-R

I didn't see my name on there. Oh well.

Only one from Indiana. Time to step up Spaniel. I'll gladly crew.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I didn't see my name on there. Oh well.

Only one from Indiana. Time to step up Spaniel. I'll gladly crew.

I almost had her sold until she saw the cougar on the belt buckle, and found out they would probably not let me run armed.

Let's get Leadville checked off the list first, after that I'll either be done or able to do the sale on WS.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Leadville = pay money (early enough) = get in.

Then you can come and take top 2 at Ice Age 50M to get an auto-matic bid to Western States - You are an auto-qualifyer, She has to let you go. 

I almost had her sold until she saw the cougar on the belt buckle, and found out they would probably not let me run armed.

Let's get Leadville checked off the list first, after that I'll either be done or able to do the sale on WS.

Feeling the growl again

Leadville = pay money (early enough) = get in.

Then you can come and take top 2 at Ice Age 50M to get an auto-matic bid to Western States - You are an auto-qualifyer, She has to let you go. 

If I go sub-6 for 50 this fall, that may be a deal.  The courses are very different but that will prove I have the speed and basic ability to contend for that kind of finish.

Thank you...I did not know you could auto-qualify for WS...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Your crew can carry and with a 44 and frankly I can shoot well enough at that range to keep the path clear.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

If I go sub-6 for 50 this fall, that may be a deal.  The courses are very different but that will prove I have the speed and basic ability to contend for that kind of finish.

Thank you...I did not know you could auto-qualify for WS...

The course record for DPR 50 is 5:35, and that was with no competition.  I think if you are looking for a time comparison to contend with competition at Ice Age similar to this year you'll need around 5:20 at DPR.  I have no doubt you can do this if you train for it, but that's almost a minute faster per mile pace...

Feeling the growl again

The course record for DPR 50 is 5:35, and that was with no competition.  I think if you are looking for a time comparison to contend with competition at Ice Age similar to this year you'll need around 5:20 at DPR.  I have no doubt you can do this if you train for it, but that's almost a minute faster per mile pace...

It appears the fastest 50-miler run in 2011 as a 5:26.  Perhaps I am naive (well, in ultras that's a near-certainty), but I don't think I'd have to run a 5:20 to toe the line and feel I stand a realistic chance (I'd be running at DPR, likely with no competition, as well, unless the prior winner flies in).  We'll see what fall brings, I don't think it will bring a 5:20 as I don't train like that but in the 5:3X range...possibly.

I'm OK with the lottery route if I have to go that way.  I really have no intention of racing these western 100-milers, given the geography and low altitude where I train.

DoppleBock

You will need to train hard so you can keep up and keep the road cleared. 

Your crew can carry and with a 44 and frankly I can shoot well enough at that range to keep the path clear.

Spaniel,

Do you have a 100 scheduled for this year or are you looking at next year for your first?

What are you thinking of doing in your training to prepare for the DPR 50?

It's awesome seeing guys like you and Riggs looking to knock out some fast Ultras.

It appears the fastest 50-miler run in 2011 as a 5:26.  Perhaps I am naive (well, in ultras that's a near-certainty), but I don't think I'd have to run a 5:20 to toe the line and feel I stand a realistic chance (I'd be running at DPR, likely with no competition, as well, unless the prior winner flies in).  We'll see what fall brings, I don't think it will bring a 5:20 as I don't train like that but in the 5:3X range...possibly.

I'm OK with the lottery route if I have to go that way.  I really have no intention of racing these western 100-milers, given the geography and low altitude where I train.

Spaniel - I'm no expert either so it's all conjecture.  I based the 5:20 off an estimate that if Zach B. ran DP instead of Door County 50, he would be at least 7-10 minutes faster because of the significantly faster course.  That's a big guess.  Part of it depends on who shows up on race day at Ice Age because fast on flat doesn't equal fast on hills.  Hell last time I checked my marathon PR was faster than Shaun Popes, but I know I can't run a 6:2X on Ice Age.

Anyway, yeah I agree if you run a 5:30 - 6:00 time at DPR, it's a solid performance no matter how you look at it, but you at least have to go after the course record.Big grin

Feeling the growl again

you at least have to go after the course record.Big grin

Dammit, there you go, planting the seed.... Wink

Yes, trying to compare times in ultras is difficult if not impossible.  All I know is when I saw the 5:30s or 5:40s on the USA championship course, given the description, I was impressed.

I'm going to put my name in the lottery for a third time (for 2013) and cross my fingers.

I'm guessing it will be the same result as the previous two attempts.

DoppleBock

Maybe ~ 

I'm going to put my name in the lottery for a third time (for 2013) and cross my fingers.

I'm guessing it will be the same result as the previous two attempts.