Ultra Runners

Superior 100M (Read 66 times)

TripleBock

Well actually 102M starts in 18 hours.

Although it was seen a huge increase in participation in recent years, it is a race that has stayed true to its ultra running roots.  Tough, Rugged and Relentless!  205 people are entered including my friend Andy.

If I am running in 2015 - I will try and do this race.  Being a been counter, I cannot take the 1st 4 days of a month off and this is always the Friday morning after Labor Day.  2015 it should be the 9/11 ~ 2016 9/9 ~ 2017 9/8 after that I will not be able to do it again until 2020.

100% single track ... 100% rugged and beautiful.  In pacing my friend 62 miles at Superior a few years back, I found this course more beautiful than anything else I have ever experienced.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

I am taking the easy route, just doing the 50.  That will be hard enough for me.  Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

Tough and beautiful is what i remember... relentless!  I had no business starting, ended with DNF... Would love to go back and do the full boat!  Good luck to Andy!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

TripleBock

Enjoy the course flatfooter ~ It will be nice to hear your thoughts on the course

jlynnbob ~ Maybe in 2015?

Tough and beautiful is what i remember... relentless!  I had no business starting, ended with DNF... Would love to go back and do the full boat!  Good luck to Andy!

Enjoy the course flatfooter ~ It will be nice to hear your thoughts on the course

It was a hot day, or if you were running 100 miles, a hot couple of days.  I was prepared for the worst after hearing how relentless it was and being schooled by Marquette trail 50.  I was envisioning that I would be able to run less than 50% of the course.  In reality the heat and no tapering were my biggest enemy.  I would say the course is 80% runnable if you are good at technical stuff and have done your hill training.

There are some incredible views that words cannot do justice.  I did not stop to appreciate them but tried to get glimpses while keeping the rocks and roots in my peripheral vision.  Of course I got a nice stretch of cramps just to make things interesting.

I wish I would have realized the course is not quite as difficult as advertised (at least for me) or this might have been my choice for my first 100.  I doubt I will ever want to run more than one 100, but I would do the 50 again anytime.

You'll ruin your knees!

jlynnbob ~ Maybe in 2015?

involuntarily retired... Sad  would have to be crew

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

jjameson

Did the 50 and ran with Flatfooter for awhile until he ditched me.  Had a rough day due to dehydration and muscle cramps.  Fell at least 6-8 times during the race, lightheaded, and stumbling around.  Lost 12 pounds.  After 2 days I'm still 5 pounds down.  Wanted to quit at 30 miles but kept going.

Here is the scary thing:  trying to follow Dr. Noakes I was waiting to get thirsty but never felt thirsty, or craved water.  I was sweating like a pig and clearly got WAY behind on fluids.  Pulse was very thready at the end.  I didn't urinate from before the start at 6AM until 10PM at night.

jjameson

mistake

Damn Joe, sorry to hear you had a rough day but OTOH first grand master is nothing to sneeze at .  It was a pretty high DNF rate with the heat and if my math is right 79 finished and 63 DNF - so almost 50% DNF rate for the 50 mile.  Before mile 15 my legs did not feel very fresh and when you guys pushed the pace after mile 10, I decided to hang back and not force it.  After mile 15 or so my legs started to feel better and better so I just went with it.  I kept waiting for you and Greg to come flying by me after mile 40.  It was great running with you out there!

TripleBock

Screw science ... Salt and drinking works.  I do think we can over salt and over drink and cause issues, but no salt and under drinking will make for a really tought day.

jlynnbob - Sorry about being sidelined.  I am currently on the shelf and just trying to string a few days of reasonable activity together.  Seeing that you are saying you are retired through 2015 ... is this a forever thing, sorry I do not remember the exact details of your forced early retirement?

Did the 50 and ran with Flatfooter for awhile until he ditched me.  Had a rough day due to dehydration and muscle cramps.  Fell at least 6-8 times during the race, lightheaded, and stumbling around.  Lost 12 pounds.  After 2 days I'm still 5 pounds down.  Wanted to quit at 30 miles but kept going.

Here is the scary thing:  trying to follow Dr. Noakes I was waiting to get thirsty but never felt thirsty, or craved water.  I was sweating like a pig and clearly got WAY behind on fluids.  Pulse was very thready at the end.  I didn't urinate from before the start at 6AM until 10PM at night.

TripleBock

I thought Leadville was 85% runable just some big climbs ... although there was very little technical stuff ... but there was elevation.

I thought the 62 miles I saw of Superior were 70-75% runable, but not easy and very technical ... but plenty of oxygen.

Feeling the growl again

Screw pseudoscience ... Salt and drinking works.  

FTFY.

Hyponautremia sucks when it happens but is very rare, and takes some effort to achieve.  Dehydration is extremely common and can suck almost as badly, and takes little effort to get there.

I dropped out of a 95% humidity marathon on Sunday due to hip injury.  I drank at every aid station and an entire bottle of Powerage in the car after I dropped out at 14 miles...plus 2-3 more bottles later on... and I didn't pee for 12 hours.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You'll ruin your knees!

jlynnbob - Sorry about being sidelined.  I am currently on the shelf and just trying to string a few days of reasonable activity together.  Seeing that you are saying you are retired through 2015 ... is this a forever thing, sorry I do not remember the exact details of your forced early retirement?

Thanks Mike!  Just started running too late or got old too early... lack of soft tissue between thigh bone and shin bone in both knees... multiple doctors offer only knee replacement and no future in running after that.  I will wait for miracle healing or better technology.  Now, I bike...

MTA: Superior would be an ass-kicker even if the knees were good!  Just because there is oxygen in the air there doesn't make it a guarantee!  That course is really rough on the lower extremities, and considering I my wife tells me I carry my head up my ass, well, you know...

TripleBock

Happy to report my Friend Andy finished in 33:55 and his DW finished the Marathon in 8:04

Joe, I still remember running the 50 with you back in 2009.  I got way behind on fluids and salt and it hit real bad leaving Sugarloaf.  Same symtoms - falling, stumbling, cramps and light headed.

You guys had much tougher conditions up there this year!!

Nice runs Flatfooter (3rd OA) and Joe (1st GrandMaster)!!