Ultra Runners

How to taper for a 50 mile race? (Read 993 times)

BOWSER

I have run 3 50k's in the past (2 were DNF's at 50 milers). My training plan has gone about 90% as planned (tough winter in CO) and now I'm down to one month before San Juan Soltice 50 miler. The question is what to do with the month left? I know I would like one or two more long runs (~25 miles), but I am not sure how long I should taper. I've read on the inernet that people usually go with a 2 or 3 week taper. Any thoughts, plans, experiences on this would be great. Must finish 50, must finish 50, must finish 50...... Thanks.

SJS50 is awesome, you'll love it!

I usually do a 19 day taper.  3 weekends out is my last long run, then I taper down for 3 work weeks and 2 weekends.  Mileage drops are something like: 50%, 30%, 20% or so... though that varies a lot by my whims. :-)

Have a great race!

BOWSER

Chris,

I've seen your pics and blog about SJS50. Awesome. Thanks for the information. What little I have read on other Ultra sites the 3 week taper seems popular (either that or two weeks). I of course what to go in fresh, but would hate to loose what fitness I have. In  the 3 week (19 day) taper do you run any intervals, tempo, or just kind of get in the miles at 50, 30, 10% of your weekly average?   

Thanks again.

Merle

Purdey

Self anointed title

My preference is for a maximum of 2 weeks taper.  But my long run 3 weeks out would not be particularly long, or hard.

During the taper I tend to reduce the volume, but keep some intensity - not big workouts - just some easy strides and maybe a short tempo.  I find this keeps the legs ticking over nicely and stops me from going insane.

3 weeks is fine though - just experiment and decided what you like best.  Some people only taper for a week before a marathon - not enough for me, I would still have tired legs.

You wouldn't lose any noticeable fitness with a 3 wk taper though.  Certainly not any endurance... if you were tapering for a 5k then it would be far too much and you might lose some sharpness.

In summary, it is a very personal thing.  Each of us responds slightly differently to both training and recovery.

Have a fantastic race!

Agree with Purdey on all accounts.  I keep the intensity high still, just drop the volume.

You won't lose any fitness in 2-3 weeks, but according to Neal Henderson, you could reduce your time 5-8% by having a good taper.  That's what I tell myself when I'm climbing the walls with boredom while doing it.  :-)