Ultra Runners

A training conundrum (Read 317 times)

Some background: I am training for my first ultra (moab red hot 50k+) on February 16th. http://www.mas50.com/redhot/ I live in Durango, CO where it's snowy and cold now. (not ideal training conditions, all I can currently run are roads and the treadmill) I have ran 2 trail marathons and a half dozen or so 13-20 mile trail races My Conundrum: Due to holiday travel, skiing Big grin, and this debilitating cold I have now; I missed my long run last week and have had 7 straight days off. Up until this point I was right on my training schedule with about 30 miles a week and my longest run being 14 miles on December15. My long term goal is to run the hardrock before my 30th b-day (I am 26 now), and feel like I really need to get this first ultra under my belt if I am going to achieve this goal. However, I enjoy the summer racing season much more and don't want to risk injury. I am looking for advice from people who have done this before. When I recover from the sickness, should I push on for the Moab race in February or save myself for the summer season? Any advice/motivation would be greatly appreciated!!
    sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

OK, first of all let me let you know I am no expert. I have done a few trail marathons and 1 50. I am speaking from personal experience and moving too fast to my 50 mile race. My personal opinion is you don't quite have the base miles to do something like this quite yet. If it was me I would have wanted to start doing 20 mile long runs sometime in mid December building to either 30 miles or back to back 20 & 10 with a 2/3 week taper. You are young, so my guess is you can probably do it, it will most likely hurt A LOT. Will you get sick or injured ... maybe yes maybe no, I think the chances are higher than if you had a better mileage base ... especially you long run.
      If you're bored ask why you're boring

You'll ruin your knees!

First of all, missing 7 days isn't a show stopper! Feel better, and get back out there! To me, it depends on what you are looking for. I have always had success (hey, it's a relative term) using races as intermediate goals/long training runs for other races. I find that I need that to stay motivated. I looked back at your log for the past 12 weeks and don't see anything that alarms me. IF you are serious about Hardrock, THEN you have to be serious about getting your first ultra behind you. Don't look for an excuse to push it out, but look for excuses to DO IT! You've already got several advantages...1) you're already at altitude 2) you're an active dude and 3) you're just a baby (hey, I started to say punk!). Jarrod, you can totally do this. You are not too far off the mark with a training base and you have the experience of 2 trail marathons (50K is not much different) under your belt. Your body can do it, you just have to make up your mind you can do it. Your mind is where you will find the umph to cover the distance between 26.2 and 31 miles! Don't let this little cold take you off your course! DO IT! Keep us posted, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks for the responses! I'm not sure which motivates me more, hearing that I can do it or hearing that I shouldn't do it. Either way, there's never really been any doubt in my mind that I will do the 50k in moab, I've probably just been spending a little to much time in front of the computer the last couple days Dead Jarrod
          sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I think you can do it ... its just it might be harder than it would be otherwise. I am a firm believer that we know exactly what we are capable of. Sounds like you are pretty sure you can do it. I think that's the answer.
              Thanks for the responses! I'm not sure which motivates me more, hearing that I can do it or hearing that I shouldn't do it. Either way, there's never really been any doubt in my mind that I will do the 50k in moab, I've probably just been spending a little to much time in front of the computer the last couple days Dead Jarrod
              It's a really great race, I'd say go for it. If the fitness isn't where it should be, use it as a long training run (that's what I did there last year). If you're really not ready, you can always drop back to the 33k, if you need too. The only specific advice I might add for this particular race: run lots of icy trails and concrete. There is a lot of slickrock on this course (bare rock) and none of it is level. Running packed icy trails did wonders to prep me for that. I wish I would have done some concrete/paved too, as the pounding of the slickrock really put the hurt on my lower legs. Hope to see you there! - Chris PS: Here's a shot of what to expect w/ the slickrock:
                Thanks, (un)fortunately, all I've been able to run the last month is either concrete or hard packed snow. So I should be ready for slickrock. I have ridden often in moab, but never run there. As far as fitness, I try to run all my races as long training runs (some just faster than others). How has the weather been at this race in the past? The shorts and t-shirts in your picture look encouraging! See you there! Jarrod
                sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Chris, Is that photo of Klondike? It appears you like the same type of running I do. I noticed two in particular 1) Grand Slam ... I have wanted to do that for a few years. 2) Indian Peaks Marathon ... What route are you thinking? A couple of years ago when I was training for BC I had quite a few cool loops mapped out. My favorite is the Arapahoe Pass loop. It starts and ends at 4th of July goes over Arapahoe pass and back over Caribou. I think it would be pretty easy to put together a 50 on just trails ... especially if you had a shuttle on the WP or Granby side. I have another crazy day for you ... Its a bike, Mountaineering event. Start at either Idaho Springs, Bergan Park or Echo Lake, ride up Evans, lock your bike, cross the Saw tooth to Bierstat, then back down.
                    Chris, Is that photo of Klondike? It appears you like the same type of running I do. I noticed two in particular 1) Grand Slam ... I have wanted to do that for a few years. 2) Indian Peaks Marathon ... What route are you thinking? A couple of years ago when I was training for BC I had quite a few cool loops mapped out. My favorite is the Arapahoe Pass loop. It starts and ends at 4th of July goes over Arapahoe pass and back over Caribou. I think it would be pretty easy to put together a 50 on just trails ... especially if you had a shuttle on the WP or Granby side. I have another crazy day for you ... Its a bike, Mountaineering event. Start at either Idaho Springs, Bergan Park or Echo Lake, ride up Evans, lock your bike, cross the Saw tooth to Bierstat, then back down.
                    I think that's the Gold Bar Rim trail or the Gold Spike Trail. It was during last years race, as we approached the Poison Spider Mesa Trail. 1) The Grand Slam is awesome... a definite must-do. We finally finished the Radical Slam this fall (Meeker, Longs, Pagoda, Storm Pk, Mt Lady Washington, Battle Mtn, and Estes Cone in one day). Long day out since hardly any of it is on trails! Some photos from that trip: http://www.chrisgerber.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=186 2)The IPW route I've been wanting to do for a long time is the Pawnee Pass-Buchanan Pass loop. It's a little over 26 miles. A couple friends ran it a few times last year, but I was always out of town, so couldn't join. Hoping to do it this year. I've never run the Arapahoe Pass route, but it looks awesome... I always see runners up there when I'm up there on climbs. That Mt Evans "duathlon" sounds pretty sweet! The Sawtooth has been on my to-do list for a while. Another AWESOME run is the Four Pass Loop near Aspen. Have you done that one? It's absolutely stellar!! http://www.chrisgerber.com/outdoors/trip-reports/aspen-4-pass-loop-20070728.cgi - Chris