Ultra Runners

Bighorn Question (Read 157 times)

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I have a question on the Big Horn course for you Big horn veterans out there. I have been studying the course map and profile. My question is how steep is the descent between the 50 Mile Start and the Narrows. How steep is the accent between the narrow and Bear camp. It seems like the descent won't be too bad since it takes 14 miles to drop that silly 4000 feet. Is the climb straight up ... switch backs ... do I need a rope? My main reason for the question is I want to train on similar terrain. Thanks SG
    If you're bored ask why you're boring

You'll ruin your knees!

The descent from the start to Narrows is pretty evenly spread out. There is a slight climb out of Porcupine, but then a gradual descent to the river. I think the website actually overstates the threat of burning out quads in the first 18 miles (Porcupine to Footbridge), and, if the conditions are good, it is VERY runnable, just be smart. The climb out of footbridge to Bear Camp is really challenging. There are no switchbacks, the trail just goes straight up the spine of the ridge in most places. My advice is to calorie up (even if you don't feel like it) at Narrows AND Footbridge, because it's a long haul from there to Cow Camp (next REAL aid station), where the next calories are available (don't be afraid to ask for the bacon!). Don't expect much/anything in the way of calories at Bear Camp, as they pack everything into that spot and are quite depleted by the time you get there (most 100 mile runners pass through 2 times by then). You don't need a rope, but it's about 1800-2000 feet in 2.5-3 miles, IIRC. Be sure and take a camera, as the views are spectacular from porcupine down...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wasatch Speedgoat

That,s my memory also....that the climb out of Porcupine was a killer. But I had run probably 100K at that point, so maybe in the 50 mile it's not too bad? I remember stopping to breathe several times on that climb. Wonderful, beautiful run... Here are the pictures i took during the run... http://sports.webshots.com/album/194177118hTsEeO Steve

Life is short, play hard!

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Thanks for the Beta, both route and food and aid stations. Especially the food I wouldn't have thought of that. I always carry a few Gu's but I will make sure I do something else at the bottom. We have some similar hills I can train on. Sounds like a slog though.
          If you're bored ask why you're boring
            Those are really beautiful photos Steve!