Ultra Runners

Welcome New Members! (Read 1874 times)

DoppleBock

always - Our ship has been build big and sturdy

Do you guys have room for one more refugee?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

New here, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lizzie and I started running ultras in April this year. So far I've done two 50ks, a 36 miler, and a 50 miler and for some reason it seemed like a good idea to sign up for my first 100 miler in June. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading lots about running ultras here Big grin

I have only been running for a couple years, but am getting addicted to running long distance. I got invited out to CA to run the 2013 Leona DIvide 50M. Free flight so couldn't refuse. Depending on how it goes, I might turn into an ultrarunner

Hello everyone!

I am training for my 1st 50 Mile Ultra, The Ice Trail 50 in Wisconsin. I am running 30 -40 miles a week and will be ramping it up in the next month. I have been mostly road and treadmill running as we really don't have many trails in the area. Anyone else training out there for this run?

Home Away From Home

I am training for my 1st 50 Mile Ultra..

I, too, am doing my first REAL ultra, a 50 miler in late May.  I have done a few 50K's and a 37.5 but I figurd the real ultra running doesn't start till 50m, I also have a 100m planned for Oct or at least as far as I can get in my first 100m.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Uh oh... now what?

I, too, am doing my first REAL ultra, a 50 miler in late May.  I have done a few 50K's and a 37.5 but I figurd the real ultra running doesn't start till 50m, I also have a 100m planned for Oct or at least as far as I can get in my first 100m.

Since 50 km is not a real ultra, I hope you aren't doing one of those easy east coast 100-milers; they aren't real neither.

Along with walking means defeat and speed work isn't needed for running ultras, the idea that covering 50 kilometers on foot is not running an ultramarathon lands in the top ten of silly myths about ultramarathons.  You're letting your ego get in the way of reality.

Home Away From Home

Since 50 km is not a real ultra, I hope you aren't doing one of those easy east coast 100-milers; they aren't real neither.

Along with walking means defeat and speed work isn't needed for running ultras, the idea that covering 50 kilometers on foot is not running an ultramarathon lands in the top ten of silly myths about ultramarathons.  You're letting your ego get in the way of reality.

John- I must admit, it is one of those East Coast 100-milers, yes, but it is one I can get to.  I will be happy to finish, that is my goal, finish or run out of time so the course makes me quit, I can fully except walking if I have to walk to get to the finish line:-). No ego problems in that one. I must admit, I, personally, like the fact that anything under 49.9m not being an ultra is a myth.  I figured though I was not quit experienced and hardened enough compared to so many in this group to call myself an ultra runner that I would refrain from calling myself an ultra runner till at least after my 50m.   I do know that some get upset if you claim to be an ultra runner before 50m.

Me, I am just happy to run, I am happy to finish, no matter what the distance, no matter what the pace, no matter if walking is involved.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Uh oh... now what?

John- I must admit, it is one of those East Coast 100-milers, yes, but it is one I can get to.  I will be happy to finish, that is my goal, finish or run out of time so the course makes me quit, I can fully except walking if I have to walk to get to the finish line:-). No ego problems in that one. I must admit, I, personally, like the fact that anything under 49.9m not being an ultra is a myth.  I figured though I was not quit experienced and hardened enough compared to so many in this group to call myself an ultra runner that I would refrain from calling myself an ultra runner till at least after my 50m.   I do know that some get upset if you claim to be an ultra runner before 50m.

Me, I am just happy to run, I am happy to finish, no matter what the distance, no matter what the pace, no matter if walking is involved.

I am experienced.  I doubt that I am hardened.  I have failed the serious runner exam so many times I finally decided my running was primarily done so I could serve as a horrible example for others.  We are barely into 2013, spring is still twenty-five days away.  Last year it was three days before spring that someone made the comment to me, "Hey, I saw you running the other day."  I am waiting for someone to see me running, notice it, and comment (favorably) about it, to me, or if to someone else, at least where I can hear it.  On this, the declining side of life, I am happy to be referred to as a runner, period.

The silliness of it all reminds me of years ago with I won a 100 km trail sort of thingie.  A sports reporter from the local newspaper did an interview--telling me how it would fit in the "local athlete feats" section on Friday.  He asked questions.  I made up answers.  When Friday came I bought a copy of the newspaper, thumbed through it, but found not a word of me heroic deed.  I went through the paper a second time, slowly, scanning each page--the hopes of a color picture and humongous font slowly disappeared from my fantasy.  The story was not there.  I called the reporter.  He explained, his editor had killed it, pointing out how he knew no one could run that far.

I decided being mistaken for a runner with no prefix and no claims to qualification distances was something I could tolerate.  I just hope someone sees me running before March 17th so I can beat last year's record for the earliest day of being recognized as something other than the object of a search and rescue operation.

Run gently out there.

John M.

Home Away From Home

John-

thanks for sharing your history some. I really appreciated your insight. You have a very good point, run because you want to, run because you enjoy it, not for the publicity or for the credit. If I see you out there on the street, I will notice you before March 17th :-)

MM#5768

Hollywood Hugh

Hi im new and im looking for knee advice and diet tips as I'm attempting 26 marathons in 26 days starting Monday 8th April training going well but back of knee hurts after 13 miles have rested now and ice bath helps but any advice please. It's all for action cancer. Cheers

Weegee

Hi im new and im looking for knee advice and diet tips as I'm attempting 26 marathons in 26 days starting Monday 8th April training going well but back of knee hurts after 13 miles have rested now and ice bath helps but any advice please. It's all for action cancer. Cheers

I'd draw on your previous marathon experience to guide you on this.

pcaharrier

I guess I fall under the "aspiring ultra runners" umbrella at this point.  "Curious" would probably be a better label, actually.

I'm planning my first marathon for this fall so I don't know if distances beyond that will be for me.  I figure this is as good a place as any to lurk and see what I can find out about ultras in the mean time.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

OK, I found you at last...

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Mmmmm...beer

Hello everyone!  New guy here, well, new to this forum anyway, been on RA for a while.  Going to be running my first 50k next month, figured I'd say hi.  Getting hooked on trails, my last two long runs have been entirely on the trails where the 50k will be held, and it's the most fun I've had running since I started last year.  If I lived closer, I'd run nothing but trails all the time!  My goal for the 50k is to just treat it like an easy long run, since I'm in the middle of training for my first marathon in March, which I have certain goals for, so I don't want the 50k to derail my training too much.  Next year I plan to race the 50k all out.

I'm also eyeing a 24hr race in April, it'll be a month after my marathon, not sure if that's enough time to recover from a goal race or not tho.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Welcome!