Ultra Runners

do I have enough time? (Read 300 times)

jeffdonahue

I have been kicking around the idea of doing an Ultra for a few years now.  This year, my goal races came down to either doing a Fall marathon or doing an ultra, and since my wife kind of shut down the idea of doing the Philly marathon I am thinking I'll give the ultra a try.

Currently I am in training for a 5K at the end of May.  I run about 40-50 miles per week, usually with one longish run of 14 miles.  Given that I want to continue training for a good 5K, and that there is a 12 hour ultra at the end of July (Around the Lake 12 hour ultra in Wakefield, MA) - is the 8-9 weeks between my 5K and the ultra enough time to get ready for it? 

It is a super-flat course run around lake Quannpowitt - about a 3.2 mile loop on mostly pavement and cement with one small section of dirt road.  My goal would really be to just finish out the full 12 hours. 

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Kalsarikännit

Jeff, can you keep up you workouts and start increasing your long run?   I'd go up for 2-3 weeks, then drop one week back.  Standard long run stuff, but get it up past that 14 mile point.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

jeffdonahue

I can do that - unfortunately have to look for a new race.  DW just informed me that we are on vacation the week of the race i was planning to do.

Kalsarikännit

I see there is a 50k and 50 mi in Medfield, Mass on August 18.  It is a slower trail course that the one in Wakefield.  http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=14912

DoppleBock

You can come to WI and run circle on a 400 meter track for 6-12 or 24 hours on September 1st -http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/Badgerland24126HourRun.htm

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jeffdonahue

I see there is a 50k and 50 mi in Medfield, Mass on August 18.  It is a slower trail course that the one in Wakefield.  http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=14912

Just saw that and may look into that one -or may wait till Stonecat in November - or may try to convince my wife she wants to go to Philly in November so i can run the Philly marathon.

jeffdonahue

You can come to WI and run circle on a 400 meter track for 6-12 or 24 hours on September 1st -http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/Badgerland24126HourRun.htm

Wow,that sounds... mind-numbing.  I think I would lose my mind getting passed that many times in a day.  At least the one in Wakefield was a 3 mile loop so I probably wouldnt even notice when I got passed by the same person a second or third time.  But on a track, I might have to trip someone if they were passing me for the 15th time.

Kalsarikännit

I've done that one (and will be doing it again this year).  It isn't bad.  Plus they have a 6 hour and 12 hour.  The six hour is fun because you will see some hot shot guys who think they are going to throw down big mileage blow by you for a solid 4 hours, then spend the final two rocking back and forth, curled up in a chair and crying.  

DoppleBock

FANS in a 24 hour loop - When I set the course record I was passed 3-4 times by 5 runners and a 1-2 times by many more.  Timed races are about knowing what you correct pace is to get the most out of the whole 6 or 12 or 24 hours not to run hard for 1/2 the time and either give up or shuffle slower than shit for the 2nd 1/2.

I do want to do a track 24 sometime - not sure when - as a rule WG and I are only allowed at the same race a max of 2x a year and it looks like we may be at max already this year - So Desert Solstice would be out.

Wow,that sounds... mind-numbing.  I think I would lose my mind getting passed that many times in a day.  At least the one in Wakefield was a 3 mile loop so I probably wouldnt even notice when I got passed by the same person a second or third time.  But on a track, I might have to trip someone if they were passing me for the 15th time.

Kalsarikännit

So Desert Solstice would be out.

No!!!!!  Nick Coury said he would like to see you there.  Besides, it would be a nice chance for you to see a lot of the people from your high-falutin team.

Plus, I just read the race info again and they will provide a crew member for you, so if Jill is busy you are still in good shape.

DoppleBock

I was being a smart ass - I will worry about that bridge when I decide to cross it.

The only issue is I so hate 24 hour races - They tear apart the fabric of my being - Body and Soul.

Now give me a good 50 mile trail race or hell even a road race - That I can run, enjoy and still drink beer afterward.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I did 52 miles the winner did 83 miles on a 1.03 mile course.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/