Ultra Runners

Training for the NC24 May 5-6 2012 (Read 670 times)

DoppleBock

I would even have you take 3 of the short runs that you do as 2nd runs of the day and turn them into fast walking - It could help you recover faster and avoid possible an over-training condition.

When I 1st started running I ran only 1x a day in the morning, but walked 2-4 miles at lunch to get the blood flowing to speed up recovery.

Schedule-wise it would be tough to get in another session. Would need to be up at 4 to get in 45 minutes (3 miles) of walking in the morning. Tha might not be terrible initially..but nearly all my mid-week runs will start at 8pm or later. When I start going longer at night--that would be tough. I'll see what works. I do appreciate the need to practice walking..I spent  at least 18 hours walking in the Fall NC24.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Got my 5 in last night--later than planned..so I ran my rather hilly neighborhood route. All the miles except one were at 12 minute pace. My 7 today will be in one run..working through lunch. I may walk the last 2. Really I'll go more by time. Run for about an hour and walk for 30 minutes depending on how Im feeling. Originally I was going to have family come in this weekend which would have hampered my running. But thats not happening, so I may get a run in Saturday and turn tone of the planned runs tomorrow or Friday into a walking day. I dont plan on running over 30 miles this week..so I will mix in a couple walks to keep the running mileage to plan.

Real life is wreaking havoc with my schedule..Furnace went out Wednesday so I had to deel with that Wed night and yesterday. Got out last night and ended up doing 10 miles total..Planned 8, but I ran late at night on the trail, and couldnt see many markers. Missed the 4 mile point going out--and was going to run to the next tenth--and ended up going out an extra mile. I walked in the extra 2. Feeling it today..chafing, and was feeling a hot spot on my sole (new shoes as well)

Should still be able to get my 30 miles in for the week..today may just be a rest day. May walk a couple miles tonight.

Didnt hit my 30 mile target, but the end of the week was strong with 10 miles Thursday, 4 miles Saturday and 5 miles Sunday. The pace was a bit faster and felt good on the Saturday and Sunday runs. Was going to do a double yesterday--but I was feeling good--and the only real purpose of that would be to reach the mile goal. Instead I will run this evening--which would have been a rest day. Here's the plan for this week.

Monday -4 - evening

Tuesday -7 - (double - 3,4)

Wednesday - 3 (lunch-easy)

Thursday - 8 evening

Friday-Rest

Saturday-6

Sunday-8

36 Miles total

I will likely keep around this mileage total for another couple of weeks before bumping up above 40 mpw.

last week sucked. Not gonna make excuses. Need to make the time to get out and run if Im going to be ready. Did get out at lunch and Im planning to get out tonight. Felt really good--it was low 50's - got in 3 miles.

havent done much running..so I havent updated. Things finally seem to be aligned to get in some big weeks. Im going to run very slowly this week, and plan to put up a big number - I plan to make it 70 miles this week. Every day 10 miles/day on average. On days I feel good, I'll just go as long as I  can--if I feel worn down, I wont push too hard but will work on walking.

Who else is locked in for this?

TripleBock

Keep plugging at it - Stay injury free!

Not NC - But FANS24 June 2-3 on my radar screen. 

BTW - Flatlander - AKA DB

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Kalsarikännit

I plan to make it 70 miles this week

That is more than you have done total since the last NC24.  It sounds like a quick way to really bang up your body.  You cannot make up for the training you have missed. I would concentrate on consistency until the race.  Start out with lower mileage and make sure you are getting in a run more days than not leading up to the race.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Keep plugging at it - Stay injury free!

Not NC - But FANS24 June 2-3 on my radar screen. 

BTW - Flatlander - AKA DB

THANKS for clearing this up. I've been wondering WTH were you and WTH was DB

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

havent done much running..so I havent updated. Things finally seem to be aligned to get in some big weeks. Im going to run very slowly this week, and plan to put up a big number - I plan to make it 70 miles this week. Every day 10 miles/day on average. On days I feel good, I'll just go as long as I  can--if I feel worn down, I wont push too hard but will work on walking.

Who else is locked in for this?

I'm in. Clown

And second what WG said about consistency in running - in small doses.

Liz

pace sera, sera

Thanks for the advice. Took it easy tonight. Ran 3, walked 1. It was the first day over 80 this year. Not being used to the warm and not used to running, so I didnt push it.  Plan on going a few at lunch and again tomorrow night.. I'll scale back my mileage for the first few weeks and adjust. I agree, if Im going to kill myself, Id rather do it race day.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Operation Endurance 24 March 31. Managed 52.5 miles March 10 Stroll in Central Park 12 HR . Only 20.7 miles last week. Knee issues. Just looking to stay upright.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

How goes the training Murph? Only one month to go!

Doing decent--not near where Id like to be though--2 kids that are alternating being sick tends to screw with even the best layed plans. Will get 40 miles this week and about the same next week and will take it easy--a lot of walking two weeks out.

I was so completely unprepared for last September--I still expect an improvement--but wished I had got out more.

(I havent been on here to log--but I have put in some miles)

Good to hear.  Keep on getting in some steady mileage to get the legs ready for the 24 hours of abuse!