Ultra Runners

Wrigley and all who have tried Hokas (Read 482 times)

Damn you all.  Stop tempting me to try Hokas.  I think I need to run longer to justify allowing myself to try them, but they do sound intriguing, and I would like to work my weak butt that bit more.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Hokas are suprisingly light.

Most are 10 oz or less.  Minimal shoes are usually 7-8 oz and other than Tarzan, most ppl can't wear them for 100 miles.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
      Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey

Self anointed title

Stop tempting me to try Hokas. 

Why?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)
            TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks, Wriggley!   

Too bad that they can't be found locally.   For try on purposes. 

steph  

Why?

I have too many running shoes as it is, and my running doesn't justify me becoming a Hoka wearer.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

L Train

Does anyone have a suggestion for another shoe that does a similar job of cushioning for the long trail races but that isn't on the high platform?  I also have weak ankles and the hokas don't sound like they would at all work for me and my feet in general are my weakest link in trail running. 

bhearn

Most are 10 oz or less.  Minimal shoes are usually 7-8 oz and other than Tarzan, most ppl can't wear them for 100 miles.

Huh. My wife's feel way heavier than that, but I haven't weighed them. My Fastwitch 4s (M11.5) are 8.4, Rogue Fly (M12) are 9.4. I would expect any Hokas to be > 13 oz at least in M11.5-12? And that's too heavy for me. But maybe I should hit ZombieRunner with my portable scale.

FWIW I survived 100 in each of the aforementioned shoes (though I would probably not try to do that again on a single pair of shoes).

Sizing question. I have narrow heels, wide forefeet. I almost always need to use the heel lace-lock to keep heel from sliding up and down. Vasque Blur SL or Mindbender fit my feet almost perfectly, but have terrible rides. My heels stay in place and my forefeet have room to spread.

Just wondering if anyone can compare Hoka fit with something like the Blurs, Montrail Badrock (regular, not outdry, which is narrower), Adrenaline ASR 9 (wide), Saucony Xodus 3, or NB 749 (wide) - if you have any experience with those pairings.

If I use Hoka's sizing technique, I come out to about 240mm = size 7-7.5 for women. In most shoes that I can find to fit these days, I'm using a 9-9.5, wide if available, so I'm not sure I trust that. ShoeFitr puts me in 8-10 (usually 9-9.5), depending on which shoe based on how it fits compared with shoes that work for me. ShoeFitr doesn't have Hokas scanned yet. Most shoes I can't wear because they're too narrow.

I was going to try a pair of Hoka Stinson Evo's at the LRS (50-mi drive 1-way) last week, but they weren't able to get my size (9-9.5) when I was going to be there - backordered from Hoka who is expecting them back in stock toward end of December. (Unfortunately, I didn't find this out until AFTER irunfar.com had run out of my potential sizes on their sale.) After doing more homework, it looks like the Mafate 2 might be a better shoe for my purposes and fit. Evo's are what the LRS carry normally. Hoka rep suggested Mafate 2, which was available, but couldn't get it to the store by the day I was going to be there.

I'm looking for shoes for gravelly roads or trails, esp. those with pointy gravel- esp for downhills. I tried a pair of Hoka Tarmacs on in the LRS a month or so ago and loved the feel of them underfoot - but the sizing was wrong and the speed laces can't be locked down (don't have a 2nd upper hole, although I suppose one could be punched).

thanks for any insights you can provide on sizing.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Huh.

http://hokaoneone-na.com/bondi_b.html

They say 11 oz here.  Mine are 10 (9.5 U.S.)

Don't feel your wife's wen they are sweaty :P

• Black Canyon 100k
                        • RRR
                        • Zane Grey 100k
                        • High Lonesome 100
                        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                        • The Bear 100
                        • Javelina Jundred (?)

Kalsarikännit

the LRS (50-mi drive 1-way)

What does the "L" stand for?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

What does the "L" stand for?

"local" by Alaska standards. Wink

I do have a running shoe store about 0.5 mi from me, but they've only been around a few years and only carry NB, Brooks, and Keene. It's an offshoot of a physical therapy business. So when it comes to shoes and races, we consider Anchorage to be "local". Anchorage has both a real running store (better for shorter stuff) and REI (better for trails and ultras). A mountaineering shop also carries some mountain running shoes, but limited selection.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Ostrich runner

I also have wide forefeet and narrow heels. I wore wide ASRs, but I can't remember which gen. It was probably 5 years ago. I remember them fitting well. The Hokas were reasonable on my heels and too narrow on the forefoot, although not terribly so (except for the hotspot I mentioned above). I usually like my shoes to be somewhat loose, but the Hokas had to be fairly snug for me to feel like I had any control. Because they don't really flex, that didn't seem like a big deal.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Kalsarikännit

This probably has nothing to do with anything, but I like my shoes snug in the heel and with more room in the forefoot, and I do all my real trail running in LaSportivas (specifically the Crosslite 2.0). I looked for a pair of trail shoes that I liked for years and years. LaSportivas are super sticky on the bottom, and just feel right. They are light but protect the foot over rocky terrain.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart