Ultra Runners

26th annual Glacial 50k / 50 Mile October 14th (Read 547 times)

If it helps as a comparison, I went all out at DWD 50k on a week taper and ran 4:41. Temps were a lot warmer 75-80 and humid but I hear the course is easier than Glacial but definitely hillier than IAT. I agree with DB, shoot for sub 5 or just run by effort level.
    DoppleBock

Yesterday afternoon's run was awesome - Weather - Mid 50s, sunny - 2pm send off

Mauthe Lake to Butler Lake - 69 minutes (68 and change is my best), Butler to Parnell tower 48 minutes (47 is record) - Total 1st 1/2 1:57 - ties record.  I took it much easier on the way back as my running partner was feeling the weight of the pace.  I felt like I was dogging it - I think this was one of the few times I was on this trail with fresh legs.  Parnell to Butler (50) - After this my friend urged me to go ahead and leave him ... he was going to walk it in.

He is a new trail / ultra runner - WTF - I am not going to leave a struggling runner friend by himself ... 1st I can take great joy out of watching jim suffer, 2nd this is the time he will learn some valuable lessons (How to keep shuffling best he can) and 3rd - I was worried he might run out of daylight (No headlamps). 

I think because I stayed with him - He felt obligated to work as best he could and not totally dog it.  We made it back in 77 on the last leg (Actually not that bad - I have done slower) for a total 4:04 ~ About 5th best out of 30+ times I have run it. 

I felt really good and think I could have negative split of a low 3:50 ~ Encouraging.

I was trying to bomb the downs to abuse my quads.  I will have to rethink the 1st 30 of 50 miles as I would like to still have quads for the last 20 of the actual race.  Quick - Light feet - Maybe an 80% bomb on race day.

BTW - The leaves were almost perfect ~ meaning they will be down come race day = covering the rocks and roots ... I hope everyones ankles are nice and strong!

If it helps as a comparison, I went all out at DWD 50k on a week taper and ran 4:41. Temps were a lot warmer 75-80 and humid but I hear the course is easier than Glacial but definitely hillier than IAT. I agree with DB, shoot for sub 5 or just run by effort level.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Nice DB! Hopefully the Achilles is okay. I'd imagine those leaf covered roots are not friends with a sore Achilles either. Bombing a leaf covered rocky rooty downhill, now that takes some cahones!
        jjameson

DB, your friend Jim is lucky to have you for a ....a...... mentor?........training partner? ......... drinking buddy?  All three?   Seriously he's learning from one of the best.

Ran 30 today on trail.  Have to work this weekend and took  afternoon off.  At present I'm totally ignoring Glacial with my eye on JFK.  I'll probably do a one week minitaper for Glacial.  Doubt my legs will feel fresh.

Wore a knee brace which basically took away all my knee discomfort, so I'm happy about that.

Enjoyed a beautiful fall day along Lake Superior.

jjameson

Flatfooter what is your goal for Lakefront Marathon?

DoppleBock

Freind is Chad - Funny he is going Glacial 50k as a training run for JFK ...

DB, your friend Jim is lucky to have you for a ....a...... mentor?........training partner? ......... drinking buddy?  All three?   Seriously he's learning from one of the best.

Flatfooter what is your goal for Lakefront Marathon?

I am still stupidly set on <2:50.  No recent races indicate this is realistic but that is still  the plan (assuming weather cooperates).  I'll know by the first half if I'm really ready or not...

DoppleBock

Beer-tember and been held over for beer-tober ... so far.  Gained 15# since Labor Day.

I released my wife from crewing duties as I want to just enjoy this race.  I will try to pace smart and moderate effort the 1st 1/2 so I can progressively ramp up the effort the 2nd half.  I do not think a sub 8 is in the cards anymore - But if everything else goes right (Stomache, intestines, pacing & hydration) it could happen.  But the real goal is to enjoy the day without doing additional damage to my achillies.

With many leaves, there are @ 2-3 miles of the 1st section that will be an ankle twister.  Also with it dry - there are 4-5 downhills both way with a lot of loose rock and dirt over the 50 mile course.

Weather looks good. 

Good luck DB!  

DoppleBock

Thanks - This one I can enjoy under almost any circumstance - I love the trail, Great RD - I will be a nice day in the woods and a nice afternoon hanging out post race.

I think the Achillies will hold out - I ran 20 miles on a rail trail last night in the dark.  It is hard to be smooth by headlamp.  Temps were 40 at start and 31 at finish ~ I love fall running! 

Good luck DB!  

jjameson

Still haven't come to grips with how I'm running the 50K.  My plan is to take it easy to the turn around and play it by ear.  I don't recognize any of the other "grand masters" except Joel Lammers who just turned 50 this year.  Guess I won't have a shot for the age catagory unless he is taking it easy and I feel really really good.

There might be others I don't know ....

I think the Achillies will hold out - I ran 20 miles on a rail trail last night in the dark.  It is hard to be smooth by headlamp.  Temps were 40 at start and 31 at finish ~ I love fall running! 

Yeah Fall running is the best! Hope you all have a great run at Glacial!

DoppleBock

They only have top 10 and overall masters ~ 11 mugs.

Have you moved up to the 50M ~ Robert is pretty easy going and allows moving back and forth between 50k and 50m to last minute.

Joel Lammers, Ron Bero are both in the 50 Mile

Along with Parker Rios and myself

The favorite in the 50M has to be Chris Rubesch from Duluth. 

75 people in the 50 mile race - Wow that is a ton for this race.

Still haven't come to grips with how I'm running the 50K.  My plan is to take it easy to the turn around and play it by ear.  I don't recognize any of the other "grand masters" except Joel Lammers who just turned 50 this year.  Guess I won't have a shot for the age catagory unless he is taking it easy and I feel really really good.

There might be others I don't know ....

jjameson

OK, my mistake.  I thought Lammers was in the 50K but he is in the 50M.  As much as I'd like to do the 50M I'm sticking with the 50K because I have concerns I could recover in time to have a good JFK on only 4 weeks of recovery.

One of the big differences getting older is it takes longer to recover from hard training runs/races. 

DoppleBock

So here is the goofy thing

1st 10 places get ceramic cup #1-#10, not matter how stinking old you are.  After those 10 cups are given away ~ The next finisher that is a masters runner gets "1st Masters" ~ Although you might be 5th master runner to finish.

Last year I got 1st masters cup and was the 5th master to finish.