Ultra Runners

Seeking All Wisdom re 50-Milers (Read 296 times)

Yep, I am considering taking the plunge this next year and am wiling to listen to all wisdom in this regard.  You may proceed . . . .

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

As you are a 'early 40s trail running chic' who recently did SOB 50K in in 7hrs 39 mins and has some longer training runs under your belt I would recommend the following;

- find a training/running partner that you click with

- pick a race

- taylor your training similar to the race course

- enjoy the training and race day experience

Looks like you are in NoCal so I would recommend the American River 50(one of the easiest 50 milers out there).

If you have a particular 50miler in mind let me know.

Dennis

1.  I do have a training partner.  She and I have been running together for 3 years, however, I don't think she has any interest in training for a 50-miler at this point in her life.  Right now, besides posting it here, only my coach and a guy I know (Russ) will give me the honest scoop and poop know that I am thinking about this.

2.  I looked at American River, but I don't like the fact that so much of it is on a bike path, and I seem to have lousy luck running on flat for very long, whether in training runs or a race.  Weirdly enough, my body seems to respond better to the changes of regular trails.

3.  I am lucky in that the Arcata Community Forest is an excellent training ground for trail running.  Not high elevation, but lots and lots of climbing. There are also a couple of other trails close by that we've been scoping out.  With regard to tailoring my training, I am going to see how I do in at least 2 more 50ks before I make a firm decision on this.

4.  I'm already trying to get myself in the right mind set for the training.  I know it's going to be a whole different ball game than what I've done so far.  It's scary, but I figure what do I have to lose?  Try and not finish?  At least I can say I tried . . . and will try again.

I've been looking long and hard at the Mt. Hood 50-miler.  The course was changed this year due to some legislature that was signed into law that would not allow the race to cover 10 miles of the previous course.  My friend, Russ, ran it this weekend in preparation for 100 in the Hood in September, and he's suppose to let me know his thoughts on it.

Due to an upcoming job change, I'm having to look for 50ks that are on Saturday instead of Sunday, which is going to leave out my beloved PCTR races.  I'm not finding much in Nor Cal in that regard and think I am going to have to go north to Oregon.  Unfortunately, I'm smack dab in the middle of nowhere, and it's a 6-8 drive one way for just about any race.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie

I am in the process of going for the big 50 as I prepare for the London to Brighton (L2B) which is a 56 mile trail run across the North and South Downs in England.

As you follow my blog you will know I have been training for L2B since January this year, this is not because it is a slow gradual process but because that was when I entered it

You need a structured training plan and stick to it as much as possible as a caveat, some training plans you find on the web assume that you are starting from scratch and there is a tendency to ignore the first few weeks and step straight in by 'over-miling'

As Dennis says, pick your race, that will be the fixed date and you long term goal. Get some "shorter" runs or marathons in that fit your training plan, these are some short term goals that will help with the motivation aspect. My daughter has mentioned to me that she is amazed that I can keep so motivated for so long and not grumble. My reasons:

• Training buddy
          • Short term goals
          • Training plan (Excel workbook with graphs)
          • "Get competitive" once in a while---just adds a little spice 
          • Vary your training and don't let it get stale
          Just some thoughts

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Thanks, Jerry. 

I am lucky in that I have a coach who does an excellent job of providing me with the structure I need.  He's doing some research into this before we discuss a training plan further.  He really listens to my questions and concerns, but doesn't let me wallow too much in anxiety.

My running partner's sister emailed me about Mt Hood and said it was tougher this year than last year (gulp).  I've asked for clarification, like more climbing, etc., and she said it was fairly warm.  Hmmm.  American River is in April, so heat wouldn't be a real issue.  Hmmm.  This will definitely take more thought.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good to have doubts but you are in the early stages of the process....On Saturday I lapped a couple of marathon runners and they tagged on for a little while and they started carping, "This is f+++ing hard", "I feel awful", "Sh+t, we have to run another 10 laps" I turned to them and said "Sorry guys, you're too negative, I am going say goodbye here" and upped the pace moving away from them. My point? My point is you have to be single-minded and as positive as possible.

Good luck on this venture, keep it positive and real.

Jerry

On Saturday I lapped a couple of marathon runners and they tagged on for a little while and they started carping, "This is f+++ing hard", "I feel awful", "Sh+t, we have to run another 10 laps" I turned to them and said "Sorry guys, you're too negative, I am going say goodbye here" and upped the pace moving away from them

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

who knows...

Dennis and Jerry have given tried and true advice. Not much that I can add save for what helped me improve my times. There is much debate between a single long run or back-to-back long runs in training (i.e. which is more effective). I have found that if I try to run a 15-20 mile on long-run day 1 then a 20-30 on long-run day 2, the second day I am running tired, which helps me prepare for the endurance both physical and mental needed for the later miles of a 50. And for these runs I tend to run them on very technical single-track trails with lots of elevation change, if possible (it seems from your posts you have access to such a place). I also tend to run them slower than my typical easy pace while during the rest of the week I run my "normal" easy and medium paces.  It is important to continue to keep the training rounded. Dennis's suggestion of marathons and shorter races is a great one for integrating faster tempos/paces into your training.

Don't know if this will help or not, and since you are using a coach I would run it through him/her.

Above all, good luck and have fun! And as was said already, relax and enjoy the race.

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

After my little jaunt at the weekend I am an advocate of the back-to-back but I must admit I have never done them past 10 miles, something I will have to move into for the weekends.

It is very true what you say as I saw my min/mile increase something terrible in the last 7 miles of my 37 miler and that was just lack of endurance. I will get my vacation out of the way and maybe move my Friday 10 mile to the Saturday and then my 20-22 on a Sunday for starters and see how I get on, I can easily adapt the distance.

Jerry

Regarding back-to-backs, right now I do my longest run on Saturdays.  For 50ks, this increases by 2 miles each week with additional hill work added each week, as well.  I assume this would change to prepare for a 50-miler.  Sundays I run 10 miles, which is about all I have time for for personal reasons.  It's the only day my DH and I have off together, so my goal is to get out on the trails early and get it done.  I might be able to add a couple of extra miles to it, but with running impinging on every other aspect of our lives, I really  need to keep Sunday for us.

Dennis - Have your run the AR50?  If so, the first 25 miles - is there opportunity to get off the pavement and onto dirt at the sides of the paved trail?

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Fatozzig, back-to-back long runs is really the only differences I made in training when moving from marathon to 50/100 mile races.  I also tend to cut back on the smaller 'junk miles'.

Doing a 20+ followed by 15-20+ seemed to work for me however my goal was to increase my ability to move when tired and sore.  I also threw in a couple of night runs to check headlamps, etc.

I ran AR a few times, the first ~25 is a flat paved bike path however there is generally(not always) a path or shoulder that is dirt to the side.  As this is a large race(something like 500+ people) there is plenty of aid, support and company.  

Another couple of other easy 50s are Palo Duro and Sumart both in Texas, both flat, both 100% trail/dirt.  They are also both loops courses, I know somepeople like to run loops.  UGH!!!

Dennis

Loop races don't appeal to me.  Something about the monotony and getting to "that spot" over and over where you can just quit and walk to your car . . . .

If I do AR, I will definitely have to get some night running under my belt.  Other than my predawn runs during the week, I don't run in the dark and never have on a trail.  Heck, if my Sunday runs increase to 15 miles, I'll have to run in the dark in order to get them done early!  However, running in the Arcata Forest in the dark by myself = not happy DH.  {sigh} Nothin's ever easy, is it.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance