Ultra Runners

a first time >26.2 race report (Read 310 times)

...---...

Hey guys- there are a number of you here that really helped me get ready for my first 50K. Thanks for that. If you'd like, my RR is here. Please ignore the mispellings and grammar issues. I'm in a hurry.

-

Lynch's Woods 50K RR

Thanks,

Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nice work!

I have a friend who ran that too.  She took this picture:

Into the wild

Good work Trey,

thanks for putting your story up and well done on getting through the nausea.

Bring on the next one, eh?

Shut up and run

...---...

Thanks all. Yeah, bring on the next.

Trent -  I joked with my wife that this is the first finishers award I've ever gotten that gave me a splinter. I tried to upload a photo of mine, but seem to be having trouble. Well mine looks the same, except it has yellow labels. 

Cheers. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

<hijack>

I just learned that the runner out with the RD is local to my town, a real sweetheart and crazy multiple marathoner.  I had not known that her bone cancer had returned.  Sadness.

From a 2006 interview:

Member Profile: Angela Ivory

One of our members, Angela Ivory, was recently featured in the August/September, 2006 issue of Heart & Soul magazine (www.HeartandSoul.com). This publication promotes living a healthy, wealthy, and wise lifestyle for Black Americans. The article, which was written by Carolyn White, appears below.

What Makes a Marathoner - Angela Ivory Realized a Dream, One Mile at a Time

Don't be deceived by Angela Ivory's Southern charm and modesty. This diminutive 5-foot-4, 135 pound runner showed off the heart of a champion and the spirit of an elite athlete when she ran marathons in all 50 states.

Since she began her odyssey in 2001, Ivory has actually completed 67 marathons and 20 ultra marathons ranging from 30 to 50 miles. Today, the Tennessee native, who lives and works in Nashville, is a member of the Esteemed Fifty States Marathon Club. Although she had a lifetime to complete her goal, Ivory squeezed in most of her marathons in 2004 and 2005. "You set a goal. You accomplish it. It makes you feel good," says the iron-willed, 38-year-old, whoo completes most of her marathons in less than 4.5 hours.

Why does Ivory run? "I tell people that I'm running from this fat butt that keeps following me," she says with a laugh. "I was trying not to gain weight and I went through the natural progression - first the gym, then walking when I couldn't get to the gym. Then I decided I wanted to boost my weigh control regimen."

Today, weight is not Ivory's only concern. Three years ago, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. "I'll tell you one thing: Running a marathon is a lot easier than chemotherapy," she says. "I'm doing fine now. I know that I exercised and ran before this happened. But now, I'm motivated by the fact that training hard could prevent me from getting any more cancer." Although she ran only one marathon while undergoing chemo in 2003, Ivory completed 15 marathons in 2004 and a combination of 47 marathons and ultramarathons in 2005.

While other marvel at her endurance and stamina, Ivory takes it all in stride. "I don't think of marathons as grueling. I think of them as fun. I just go out there and do what feels good and natural to me."

Now that she's completed Goal No. 1, Ivory's ready for a new challenge. "So far, I've done only 12 ultramarathons," she says. "I'd love to do one of them in every state as well."

</hijack>

...---...

Thanks for posting that Trent. One of the other runners gave me the impression that this was her first shot at an ultra. Regardless, the things she's done in running - even without the added health obstacles - are incredible. In retrospect, I feel lucky to have gotten a high 5 from her.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Congratulations, Trey!  A fantastic and strong first ultra.

Trent - Angela Ivory is one incredible woman.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

By far the finest comment on your report was:

I'm already looking for my next Ultra. The Ultra community are the finest people I've ever met. I'm proud to be among their fold. Hope to see you all at an ultra soon.

Although it can be the lonely out there you can always rely on a long distance runner to help you out.

It sounds a nice tough race, very well done.

Jerry
                  A runners blog-updated daily

Although it can be the lonely out there you can always rely on a long distance runner to help you out.

++1

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

You'll ruin your knees!

Nice job with the demons!  Mind you, THEY WILL BE BACK!  Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll conquer them again and again! 

Congrats!  I still remember my first ultra, very much the same format you describe... I can still remember some of the conversations I had during that race...

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Nice job!  Great report too!!