Ultra Runners

Experienced help appreciated / Cremator 50 Mile Endurance Race (Read 736 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

This race has been banging around in my head for a few days.

Not much else in there to stop it banging 

Were I live / train is very  close to the same heat / humidity as the Beaufort area.  

So, once I rationalized away all of the cover your ass stuff (SC in July)  on their

web site I signed up.

Cremator 50 Mile Endurance Run  Beaufort, SC. 

July 21, 2012.   Fifteen weeks four days.

I have a book with a training plan and some online plans that I will use as a guide.

I guess that I am mostly concerned with the  long run / back to back runs.  

And how many miles a week are necessary.

I would very much appreciate any pointers.

steph  

Kalsarikännit

SC in July.  Whoo, doggy.  It's gonna be hot.  The only advice I have is bring a handkerchief.  Wrap ice in it and tie it around your neck.  If you can't do that, at least rinse it in cool water at aid stations.  It is a life saver and makes a huge difference.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Let us know if you sign up for it and need any support. Looks like a crew is mandatory.  

MTA 50 miles on asphalt, most of it in the sun could be interesting

DoppleBock

Hee - Hee

I know nothing about running in heat - I would melt

Give us a flavor of the plan ...  But if you have a plan you really do not need us.  I am not a fan of back-toback long runs.  Give me 1 really long run and then let me recover.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Seems weather where regular margarittas on the rocks would be in order - With salt along the glass rim of course. 

Let us know if you sign up for it and need any support. Looks like a crew is mandatory.  

MTA 50 miles on asphalt, most of it in the sun could be interesting

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

SC in July.  Whoo, doggy.  It's gonna be hot.  The only advice I have is bring a handkerchief.  Wrap ice in it and tie it around your neck.  If you can't do that, at least rinse it in cool water at aid stations.  It is a life saver and makes a huge difference.

+1

works in Terre Haute too

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              xor

I love heat.  And the name is "Cremator"... which a) cool name and b) it just sounds extra hot.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, there's a reason it's called "Cremator". OTOH it's put on by Low Country Ultras, they did a great job with Delirium Ultra.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

DB - The plan that I am leaning toward is from

Bryon Powell's  "Relentless Forward Progress".

There are two plans: 40 Miles - 100k on 50 miles per week and         

40 Miles - 100k on 70 miles per week.

The longest run for each plan is 31 miles 5 weeks from race day.  The plans calls for doing a 50k but

I wouldn't be doing an actual race since I don't think there is one locally at that time.  The next day after

the 31 mile run is a rest day. 

The other long run days vary from 12 -25 miles.

The day after runs vary from 6 - 12 miles.

This from the 70 mile a week plan.

Speed work on most Thursdays.

I hope that this makes sense.

WG - Mmm yup, hot humid.  Good Idea for ice at neck.  A man at my last race said that he puts ice under his hat when needed.

The neck sounds much easier to hold in place!   There will be ice/water cooling tent at the half way point of the out and back that is run                  twice.

Happyfeet - Thank you much but I signed my husband up to be the crew chief.  Though I can see how that could go wrong on a couple 

of levels!  I think that the main thing they want is to have one designated person responsible for heat injuries type problems.

Srl - Hot and humidSmile

Perfesser - I'm glad to hear that!   MTA: Removed stupid remark. 

steph  

DoppleBock

This sounds reasonable - Plenty of work to do the 50 mile.  My 1st 50 was done on marathon training plan - The furtherest I had run was the marathon I trained for - Other than that 22 milers.

It takes a decent general fitness level to do a 50 miler - But success or failure will come more down to realistic pacing and in heat - Proper hydration, nutrition and electrolytes.

One thing I like about the trail 50s that I do - There are enough hills (I walk hills) that I take copious walk breaks.  In the case of a flat 50M - You may want to plan for them the 1st 25-30 miles.  Effort level should be on the low side through 30. (Unless you are looking to be competetive for the win)

I was talking with a lady from out club last night about doing a 50k - She stated that she trains 20 milers and that the extra 6.2 is hard enough for a marathon.  I know she does not understant the difference between "Easy" 20 mile pace and "Easy" ultra pace.

DB - The plan that I am leaning toward is from

Bryon Powell's  "Relentless Forward Progress".

There are two plans: 40 Miles - 100k on 50 miles per week and         

40 Miles - 100k on 70 miles per week.

The longest run for each plan is 31 miles 5 weeks from race day.  The plans calls for doing a 50k but

I wouldn't be doing an actual race since I don't think there is one locally at that time.  The next day after

the 31 mile run is a rest day. 

The other long run days vary from 12 -25 miles.

The day after runs vary from 6 - 12 miles.

This from the 70 mile a week plan.

Speed work on most Thursdays.

I hope that this makes sense.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

This sounds reasonable - Plenty of work to do the 50 mile.  My 1st 50 was done on marathon training plan - The furtherest I had run was the marathon I trained for - Other than that 22 milers.

It takes a decent general fitness level to do a 50 miler - But success or failure will come more down to realistic pacing and in heat - Proper hydration, nutrition and electrolytes.

One thing I like about the trail 50s that I do - There are enough hills (I walk hills) that I take copious walk breaks.  In the case of a flat 50M - You may want to plan for them the 1st 25-30 miles.  Effort level should be on the low side through 30. (Unless you are looking to be competetive for the win)

I was talking with a lady from out club last night about doing a 50k - She stated that she trains 20 milers and that the extra 6.2 is hard enough for a marathon.  I know she does not understant the difference between "Easy" 20 mile pace and "Easy" ultra pace.

Thanks DB.

Yes, I was just wondering about the walk breaks while running this morning.  When to take them and how many etc.  

So, plan for them miles 1-25/30.  Then after that take them when needed?  

I will definitely try to keep effort to the low side!  I made the mistake of starting too fast during the 50k (my first) a couple weeks ago.

I knew that I was starting too fast but thought what the heck I might as well see where it goes.  Found that out soon enoughSmile

But this one will be too hot and long for fooling around I think.

Ha.  Ha.  I don't think that I understand "Easy" 20 mile pace vs "Easy" ultra pace either.  Unless you mean ultra easy being slower.

Thanks again!

steph  

DoppleBock

After 30 miles - You will have a 1 of 3 choices

1)  Continue the same interval you were doing

2)  Take them when ever the heck you want - Just try and run more than walk

3)  You are feeling so dang good you run it in.

How often?  That answer can vary an extreme amount.

If I get to pick - I like 8/2  = 8 minutes on and 2 off.  The math works out nice and I feel I can really keep things easy and in control -

You could go 12/3 - 13/2 - 15/5 - 17/3 - 18/2 - 27/3

I just like the math to work pretty roundish.  I am usually taking salt and nutrition while walking - So that is another consideration to match it up.

Yes ultra - easy for me - Is like when I run with my sister in a marathon (No offense DS) = 45-70 seconds slower than my normal "easy" pace.

Thanks DB.

Yes, I was just wondering about the walk breaks while running this morning.  When to take them and how many etc.  

So, plan for them miles 1-25/30.  Then after that take them when needed?  

I will definitely try to keep effort to the low side!  I made the mistake of starting too fast during the 50k (my first) a couple weeks ago.

I knew that I was starting too fast but thought what the heck I might as well see where it goes.  Found that out soon enoughSmile

But this one will be too hot and long for fooling around I think.

Ha.  Ha.  I don't think that I understand "Easy" 20 mile pace vs "Easy" ultra pace either.  Unless you mean ultra easy being slower.

Thanks again!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks agin DB!

steph  

TeaOlive,  are you signed up for Chattooga 50K in SC at the beginning of June?  That would be a great tune up...  if you haven't done it before, the trail is absolutely beautiful.  It's a challenging one with some rough terrain, but it should give you some heat training (every year I've done it, it's been pretty steamy) and lots of time on your feet!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

TeaOlive,  are you signed up for Chattooga 50K in SC at the beginning of June?  That would be a great tune up...  if you haven't done it before, the trail is absolutely beautiful.  It's a challenging one with some rough terrain, but it should give you some heat training (every year I've done it, it's been pretty steamy) and lots of time on your feet!

Thanks Jen,  it  sounds like a good one.   But I'm trying to stay close to home.

steph