Ultra Runners

Badwater 2012 (Read 511 times)

bhearn

And Arthur Webb -- age 70 -- just finished his 11th Badwater. While running a 3 1/2 hour PR. Holy crap.

xor

Dunno.  I have a twitter account, but I only whip it out for special occasions.

That said, adventurecorps has gone silent as far as I can tell.

But Terry finished.

Check it out:

http://instagram.com/p/NMzWSmidxM/

bhearn

Woohoo!

xor

They also fixed his Lone Pine split, so you can see how much he blew by Dean and others.

bhearn

Not to mention, Terry could already be at Portal Road, and we might not know for an hour, the way the updates are going.

Heh, Terry passed Portal Road an hour before I wrote this.

I guess I'm an idiot, but I can't figure out how to see the Twitter stream without having a Twitter account.

I had to go to twitter search to find it.

http://twitter.com/#!/search-home

Kalsarikännit

And Arthur Webb -- age 70 -- just finished his 11th Badwater. While running a 3 1/2 hour PR. Holy crap.

It was fun following him.  He was the first 6:00 finisher.  Amazing.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

My mistake, his 15th Badwater. I was just going by ultrasignup. So I don't know whether it's a PR.

MTA -- yes, it was a PR. In his 15th Badwater. At 70.

15th time's a charm!

Kalsarikännit

From a tweet by adventurecorps:

2011 champ Oswaldo Lopez gave his bib #1 to 2012 champ Mike Morton at the finish line. Nice moment.

Kalsarikännit

bhearn

I'm assuming something is wonky with Keith's tracking; he should have been into Lone Pine long ago.

#1,4 & 6 are members of the 2012 US 24 hour national team that will be competing September 8th-9th ~ 54 days from now.  I would not be able to recover quick enough to make that turn.

Mike "Heat Miser" Morton - 2010 (152) and 2011 (162) the very hot 24 hour races where it was in the 90s and now showing how he likes it hot again - He has had a pretty nice last 2 years.

I thought some of their names looked familiar and ~2 months to recover is pretty crazy.  Unless they weren't going all out, which by itself seems pretty incredible.

bhearn

Really? I'd think 2 months is enough to recover from anything, barring injury. The problem I'd have is there's not much time to ramp training back up. But Badwater itself should count as a lot of training.

xor

Really? I'd think 2 months is enough to recover from anything, barring injury. The problem I'd have is there's not much time to ramp training back up. But Badwater itself should count as a lot of training.

It takes me almost a month to get back to full speed after racing a 50, and most people I've talked to who have raced 100's say it takes more than two months to get back to full speed after racing 100s.  Maybe it depends on how you define recover, but I'm assuming DB is referring to being able to recover from badwater and run the 24 hour race at their maximum capability (besting their previous 24 hour mileage which is over 150).  

Everyone is different, but I would venture a guess that full recovery to be able to run their best 24 hour race ever less than two months after running their best 135 mile race is not the norm...