Ultra Runners

Ididarod Trail Invitiational 350 (Read 298 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Friend of mine recently finished 350 miles on the Ididarod Trail (3rd runner, about 6 minutes behind the two runners who tied for first)... Here is his report...  Glenn is a very tough runner, has several top 10 finishes at Hardrock and has done UTMB once or twice... 

Enjoy!

It's kind of odd to listen to the news talk about the intensity of the mushers (who just started last weekend, I believe)... knowing people are doing it on foot (well, OK, 350 miles of it)...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Carl A

Holy cow (moose cow, that is) that's a great report.

Alaska in winter can quickly turn from beautiful dream to nightmare. My wife and I had a harrowing experience there once too, although that was just car camping.

So, I am putting this race on my long-term calender, for when my children are older.

Thanks for posting about it!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Dang!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I just saw this report. Thanks for linking to it. 

Just for clarification:  "You’d think the Iditarod Trail would be well marked and well worn,"

Much of the Iditarod and the race trail is winter-only trail since it goes across wetlands. Yes, it is a National Historical Trail, but in some places it's not even on a public easement (recent reroute when lands changed hands and new owners weren't trail friendly). "Where" the Historical Iditarod Trail is can be somewhat problematic - aside from any snow issues. Oh, and as to how obvious the trail start is, a group of 6 of us on snowshoes had trouble finding it the first time since we weren't sure where it actually started (either generally along the road or specifically where we found the general start area).

The reason the ITI starts one week before the Iditarod Sled Dog Race is so that the ITI can take advantage of the trail being put in for the sled dog race. There's a number of trail breakers out there (both for human- and dog-powered races) putting in the trail - which will likely vary each year depending on weather, drifting, and trail use (if any). The first 8 or so miles are heavily used by local mushers and snow machiners, and a few people training for either the Su100 or ITI. But some of the more remote sections aren't put in until the week before the ITI starts.

Except for racers, I don't know that anyone travels over Rainy Pass or other nearby passes. Last year, the ITI trail breaker's snow machine bogged down in the pass, and the front-running bikers gradually worked their way over the pass It slowed them enough that the foot traffic caught up with them (over 1 day's delay, iirc). A couple years ago, the route through Rainy Pass hadn't been put in yet (might be the same year an Iditarod trail breaker was killed in avalanche), and the front-running bike went a longer, but faster, route. The pass he went through sometimes isn't passable.

With the ITI, you're not required to follow a particular trail, but you do have to check in at check points. This year, because of snow conditions at the start, the bikers went one direction and the foot and ski traffic went the more traditional route across Knik Lake. People that know the area may use the ice roads, rather than the Iditarod itself. The first, maybe 20+ miles on the east side of the Susitna River, crosses a lot of wetlands, which are also riddled with seismic lines turned into trails. Everything is relatively flat and straight.

And don't forget that the 1100 mile version of ITI is still ongoing with 3 bikers and 2 foot travelers (Tim Hewitt the Laurel Highlands RD and Tom Jarding). You can follow along here:

http://www.alaskaultrasport.com/latest_news.html

or on FAcebook.

Loreen Hewitt set a new women's foot record in the 350mi race to McGrath.

Here's a picture of a sled dog team passing Tim: http://tinyurl.com/yguewz4

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I should add some of the background info on the Iditarod Trail.

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/iditarod.html

Note that it actually starts in Seward, but most of the "Iditarod" races start in Knik, Big Lake, or Willow in southcentral Alaska (northwest of Anchorage).

(and the Serum run which it supposedly commemorates, actually started from Nenana on the other side of the Alaska Range. Rail was used to get the serum there.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog