Ultra Runners

Study (Read 253 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Have you ever wondered if running long distances is healthy?  We invite you to participate in a research study that will answer this question. 

The study is called the Ultrarunners Longitudinal TRAcking (ULTRA) Study.  You may participate in this study if you have completed at least one ultramarathon (50 K or longer). 

The main purpose of the study is to determine if high levels of exercise alter health risks compared with sedentary or moderately active lifestyles.  This information is important so that we know if there are health benefits or risks from participating in ultra-endurance activities. 

If you are interested in participating, you will be asked to complete an initial web-based questionnaire that will take approximately 30 minutes.  There will then be periodic follow-up questionnaires over the course of many years. 

The study is under the direction of Dr. Marty Hoffman.  You may contact him to discuss the study at (916) 843-9027 or martin.hoffman@va.gov.  He is associated with the VA Northern California Health Care System. 

If you would like to participate in the study, please go to the following link: https://stanfordmedicine.qualtrics.com/WRQualtricsSurveyEngine/?SID=SV_aY1e47DdzVRjHKI&RID=MLRP_2uaprhml4xqKRuY&_=1

Or you may type into your browser:  http://bit.ly/ULTRAStudy

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)
    DoppleBock

Since you state "We" invite you ... does this mean that you are part of the administering group?

Just curious - My initial reaction was it sounded a bit interesting ... then I realized it would cost me an amount of time over the years and I selfishly thought "What's in it for me?"

Then I thought - Will it be a quality study or is a group going into it with pre-determined outcome in mind

Any way ... Since you are someone I know on the ambigous internet ... I would be more inclined to participate then if it were some random study.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

This is not my study but that was the authors voice I think it is a good idea to look at a long term outcomes even if it takes me 15 minutes every couple of years. We could probably scrutinize the methodology but I figure it's a good effort and is being conducted by harvard university. Lastly this is similar to what I do for a living so I'm always interested in outcomes of clinical or other studies

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)
        DoppleBock

Fair enough ... Should be of quality 

This is not my study but that was the authors voice I think it is a good idea to look at a long term outcomes even if it takes me 15 minutes every couple of years. We could probably scrutinize the methodology but I figure it's a good effort and is being conducted by harvard university. Lastly this is similar to what I do for a living so I'm always interested in outcomes of clinical or other studies

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !