Ultra Runners

2012 Ultras. Lotteries, Deadlines, successful entrants. (Read 1590 times)

I am 50/50 with the Miwok lottery.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Kalsarikännit

I was wondering if anyone is considering Bandera 100k 1/2013?  I see it is the National Championship 100k race. 

Is it hard to get into Bandera or Miwok?

It is no prob to get into Bandera.  I love that race.  I really think it is my favorite race out there.  

It gets some great runners because it is a Montrail Ultra cup race.  No one give two shits about the Nat Champ thing.  The USATF has been good for the road distances with the World Championships, but all they have done for trail stuff is impose a bunch of goofy rules on race directors.  That being said, I do have a medal from being in the top ten of a National Championship.  It was sent from a place called "Speedy Awards" about six months after the race.  Big grin

Another great thing about Bandera, you can camp at the start/finish.  Always cool.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

http://www.tejastrails.com/docs/Bandera__Awd.html

Although I think it is completely fitting for Ultra-Running I find it unique that Bandera considers the Masters category as 50 and over.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Imminent Catastrophe

JFK 50 application opens May 1!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

For the midwesterners...I just found out the Howl at the Moon 8 hour in Danville, IL (Aug 11) will open registration tomorrow.  It sells out very fast.  I have not done it, but I hear good things about it.  It is supposed to be hot, but there is beer and a good time at the end.  They also say it is the largest fixed time even in the country, but I have never heard of it being crowded.

I registered for it last year, but when I was injured they were very gracious and understanding and are letting me in this year.  I have a 24 hour three weeks after the race so I won't be going all eight hours, but I thought it would be nice to have a supported long run.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Umstead 100: http://www.umstead100.org/           September 8, 2012  
              Registration will fill in 5 minutes, starting at noon Eastern Time.  Race is April 6, 2013

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Time to unsticky this and 2012 stickies?

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                xor

The Chuckanut 50k (Krissy M is the RD) was weirdly a lottery this time.  The registration window was super short... today and yesterday.  I guess she chooses tomorrow or something.

Chuckanut is an odd race... bhearn ran it last year... lots of big names show up for a race that is, essentially, 12 miles out-and-back on flattish/rolling rails-to-trails with a 19 mile challenging trail loop smushed in between the out and the back.  And even part of the 19 miles is dirt road.  It's alright and I think there's some money involved, but it puzzles me that Krissy gets so many names.  And it went lottery because interest has been through-the-roof from regular folk over the past 4ish years too.  When I ran it way back in 2007, I didn't have to enter 5 seconds after it opened.

I've joked for the past couple years "there must be some good weed" to get so many famous folk and now it's all legal and shit.

It looks like everyone who entered the lottery for Chuckanut got in since there were 21 spots open as of this morning.  (I took one of them, so it's down to at least 20 Smile)

bhearn

Last year Chuckanut was so big they had a 3-wave start. But that was exceptional; they got a special permit for whatever anniversary run it was (10th?).

That course kicked my ass. But it was good training for Western States. Also, last year, we had every kind of weather there is: rain, sleet, snow, even sun towards the end. The one thing we were missing, fortunately, was wind. After this race is when I finally admitted that racing flats are not always the best choice for trail races. Everybody and his brother passed me on the technical stuff; I passed them all back later on the big downhills.

The highlight for me was chatting with Geoff Roes afterwards. He was registered (won it in 2010), but didn't run it -- in fact he had not run a mile since winning the Iditarod (running) a few weeks earlier.

This year, alas, Bellingham Bay is a bit farther drive from the Bay Area than from Vancouver. And I am focusing on Boston training, Hansons style, which means fewer and shorter long runs. Well, except for Rocky Raccoon. That should just be a little blip in my training, right?

xor

It looks like everyone who entered the lottery for Chuckanut got in since there were 21 spots open as of this morning.  (I took one of them, so it's down to at least 20 Smile)

And... lots of big names again.

xor

This thread didn't get enough action last year to really warrant a new 2013 thread, perhaps... but I will mention a few things anyway.

Entry for the lottery for the San Diego 100 opens on 2/1.

Entry for the lottery for Cascade Crest 100 opens "mid February", unless you pulled a Betsy and volunteered last year. Then you are in.

Entry for the Waldo 100k... not a lottery I think... opens on 3/1 and will close in a couple hours if not sooner.

Also, anyone that wants to run Vermont can still get into the 100k.  For 250 bucks.  Le Yipe.

xor

San Diego 100 lottery opens tomorrow (as I post this, at least... 2/1) if'n you are interested.  Cascade has not updated what "mid Feb" means yet.

Bull Run Run's entry also opens tomorrow, but this one is weird.  It may or may not be a lottery, depending on how many folks apply.

Cascade has not updated what "mid Feb" means yet.

It opens tomorrow as well (2/1) and will remain open until 2/16.