Ultra Runners

Take Two (Read 302 times)

Feeling the growl again

After my stunt last fall trying to RACE a fifty off pathetic training, i am out for blood this fall. However a fellow RAer pointed out that we now have an ~57mile ultra in our backyard in mid June... Www.park2park.org I am thinking this would make a heck of a training run and low pressure way to get my first finish out of the way. Say 7:30ish pace, good fueling practice. To anyone familiar with the area, this is not exactly scenic. But it is hard to pass up close. The last few miles are on my favorite long run route.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

I'm not seeing anything about them having a solo division.

Keep in mind the Hawthorn Half Day, also.  It is a great race.  You can go as long as you want for 12 hours.  1 mile, 50+ miles, you can't DNF.  Plus they are awarding cash money to the winners.  There are fast relay people to run with and plenty of ultrarunners which is cool.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

I'm not seeing anything about them having a solo division.

Keep in mind the Hawthorn Half Day, also.  It is a great race.  You can go as long as you want for 12 hours.  1 mile, 50+ miles, you can't DNF.  Plus they are awarding cash money to the winners.  There are fast relay people to run with and plenty of ultrarunners which is cool.

The solo option was a late addition, not well advertised, but if you click on registration or their forum it is discussed. A crew would be required since no aid is provided. Thanks for the other, it's further away though. I think it would be great to do this very local one to get my feet wet...race the fifty this fall...then tackle that twelve hour race next year. I have the stunt out of my system, I am trying to progress this intelligently from now on. June. Park to park 57 mile, local, run as training run Sept. air force marathon, Dayton oh-- can't find a better close fall option that doesnt interfere with the 50 Oct. des plaines trail 50, Chicago Jan. Disney marathon? Apr. Carmel marathon? June. Terre haute twelve hour MTA sorry for the run ons, iPad issue.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

USAFM marathon is great. If I dont do NC24, I plan on doing that one again.

Feeling the growl again

USAFM marathon is great. If I dont do NC24, I plan on doing that one again.

I have heard good things. My only concern is for heat that early in the fall. However, with the timing of my fifty and work travel I think I will need to take my chances.

Yeah, it was very warm the last time I ran it --2009-I think. It was a death march for everyone at the back.

DoppleBock

I find it interesting that 36 people have signed up for the October 50 mile you reference - I guess with the April 1st $10 fee increase - But I would eat the $10 as I hate to sign up too soon.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The solo option was a late addition, not well advertised, but if you click on registration or their forum it is discussed. A crew would be required since no aid is provided. Thanks for the other, it's further away though. I think it would be great to do this very local one to get my feet wet...race the fifty this fall...then tackle that twelve hour race next year. I have the stunt out of my system, I am trying to progress this intelligently from now on. June. Park to park 57 mile, local, run as training run Sept. air force marathon, Dayton oh-- can't find a better close fall option that doesnt interfere with the 50 Oct. des plaines trail 50, Chicago Jan. Disney marathon? Apr. Carmel marathon? June. Terre haute twelve hour MTA sorry for the run ons, iPad issue.

There is the fox valley marathon in the Chicago suburbs on Sept 16th. I've been a pacer the last two years.  Flat course, nice and shaded, and weather has been pretty cooperative.  Plus, last year the winner won in 2:55 with perfect temperature (50, cloudy, and no wind), so unless someone really fast shows up you can win and probably set the course record (2:4X I think).

I find it interesting that 36 people have signed up for the October 50 mile you reference - I guess with the April 1st $10 fee increase - But I would eat the $10 as I hate to sign up too soon.

Mostly Chicago area runners.  The RD is a member of the NLUR group out of Chicago and the race has got a lot of attention in the group, plus they got an additional discount I think.