Ultra Runners

Umstead 100 (Read 893 times)

DoppleBock

Something where pollen is not an issue - Maybe a nice winter 100? or 135?  Arrowhead perhaps?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yeah, try again. Which one do you good peeps suggest?

If you want to capitalize on your training, maybe find one within the next month, assuming you are recovered.  Unfortunately I don't know of any exactly 1 month out, but there is McNaughton Park 100 (April 14th) or KM100 (June 2nd).  If you are interested in KM100, I'd be happy to crew for you, but I hear the race is almost full so better make up your mind quick.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Timing is bad for me for KM100. Already thought of that one. I may do the 12 hour in Terre Haute the next weekend, perhaps I can get 100 there Wink

McNaughton is brutal, isn't it?

xor

Just fyi, McN is mother's day weekend.  And, yes, it is hard.

They do have a 500 mile category.  Fun fun fun.

I was considering KM100 meownself.

xor

Hmmmm.....

Thant weekend is currently open...

Cripes.

Heartland! Heartland! Heartland!

Kalsarikännit

Just fyi, McN is mother's day weekend.  And, yes, it is hard.

Trent may have been speaking of McNaughton that is held in McNaughton Park in Illinois before the RD ran off to Vermont and started up some races called McNaughton that is not held in McNaughton Park.

That same RD puts on some short "death race" that has required racers to use social media during the race to hype up the race.  No thanks.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

McNaughton is brutal, isn't it?

McNaughton (April 16th) is in Illinois, now called Potowatomi.   I hear it is the hilliest in Illinois, but I don't think it is worse than KM100.

I was considering KM100 meownself.

SRL- If you need someone to crew (or an extra) let me know...

Heartland in October.  

So. This interests me. I'm shopping for a 100 to do in the fall of next year. It'll be my second ultra, and first 100. I don't want anything too technical, given that as I said it'll be my first and just doing the distance seems daunting enough. I like everything I've read about Umstead except for the time of year. Would you knowledgeable people say this might be a good one to consider? 

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Kalsarikännit

So. This interests me. I'm shopping for a 100 to do in the fall of next year. It'll be my second ultra, and first 100. I don't want anything too technical, given that as I said it'll be my first and just doing the distance seems daunting enough. I like everything I've read about Umstead except for the time of year. Would you knowledgeable people say this might be a good one to consider? 

I don't think it sounds like the most fascinating 100 I have ever read about.  There are no majestic mountains or anything like that.  They call it a 100 mile cross country race.  It is on gravel roads that will end up beating up the feet.  Of course any 100 miler beats up the feet.  The views are not spectacular, but I have read dozens of race reports, and everyone says that it is very pretty and it is cool that they get to see one of the last areas in the country of tallgrass prairie.  The elevation gain is very moderate by 100 mile standards (6500 ft, even less than Umstead), but people still describe it as hilly.  

The two factors that are often brought up is that it is windy.  It is an incredibly open area.  The other thing is that because it is so open, things that appear far off (water towers, antennas) never seem to get any closer.  A lot of people seemed to have mental issues with this.

Overall this seems like a good first time 100.  My two good friends are doing this as their first, which is why I signed up, but I am really excited to do a faster 100.  The aid stations are plentiful and I have yet to read a single bad word about the organization.  Plus they seem to get plenty of repeat runners, which is always a good sign.

On On

You can always come hang with a fellow RAer at 3 Days at the Fair in May.  Enter the 72, 48 or 24 hour with hopes of doing a 100 Miler.  I am trying to accomplish it in the 72 hour event in the first 24 hours and then go to work.

Rockenmama may be joining us as will maybe one or two other RAers.  Will be quite the party.

www.njtrailseries.com/fair

MTA:  You will not be short of beer.  You could have one every lap or wait to the end, but either way you will always have access to beer.  There is a huge walk in refrigerator and for the Ultra Festival there were 20 cases of beer in there staying cold.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I need to run a Hasher Rick run some time. Weekend of 5/11 remains difficult for me.I'll have to make it work one year.

Does Heartland fill?

Kalsarikännit

I need to run a Hasher Rick run some time. Weekend of 5/11 remains difficult for me.I'll have to make it work one year.

Does Heartland fill?

I think about his 48 hour every day.  I'm not kidding.  I was going to do it, and then thought that was just too much pavement, then thought the trail 100, now I'm back to the 48.  I have been injured or had WSER or not in shape every year.  Crap.  I want to go in and break 205 there. I have no idea how to do it, though.  I hear nothing but great things about Rick's races.  And that is from people outside of RA.

Trent, it will fill, but I don't know when.  There are 150 spots and they are at 73.  You can keep track.

This guy has a video.  It isn't anything crazy exciting.  There isn't a band every mile.  It's just a 100 mile race.  

Kalsarikännit

You can keep track.

BTW, click on that and Go to Liz Bauer's name.  Click on her name and check out her results for 2012.  Criminy.

BTW, click on that and Go to Liz Bauer's name.  Click on her name and check out her results for 2012.  Criminy.

I heard Liz's goal is to run 30 races of 100 miles or more in 2012.  She is amazing.