Ultra Runners

Glacial 50M / 50K October 9th (Read 667 times)

Roch

And yes, a girl set the course record in the 50k in 4:15. On that course is pretty fast...
    DoppleBock

Congrats - That was a nice result - I only had 1 good 50M at Glacial - Something like 3:56 / 3:54 ... I would guess the "Fun" started about 1/2 way between Mauthe Lake and Butler Lake for you.  The section of race that I dislike the most in the 50M is right after Butler Lake - You hit that 3/4 to 1 mile stretch of the big, hot. open grassy area.  It is always wet in there and when the sun hits it the humidity rises up from below.

It was not that bad for us 50k -ers but I still backed off and took it easy in this field - I love the other 98% of the course!

Honeypig, sounds like that guy had a rough day. Ouch. DB, I had a great race myself. I'd have liked the colder temps, but can't complain too much. Great race conditions and overall experience. Finished 2nd overall in 8:45:55, splits being 4:08/4:37. Second half of the course is overall uphill with warmer conditions. I'm pleased with the result.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Roch

The prairies were a little brutal at times.  I was focusing on the miles 40-42 as that was the biggest climbs for the back portion of the race.  Things were going well until I busted two toes on a rock.  The uphills were slowed quite a bit due to not being able to dig in without quite a bit of pain.  With about three miles to go, I busted a toe on the other foot as well.  :shaking head:  I'm glad it's over, but an overall great race for me.

That's pretty fast to be able to lay a sub-8 on that trail, even with a clear path and good footing.  Nice work.

DoppleBock

I have never paid attention to the elevation profile - Up / Down ... Repeat

2nd OA is a nice day - Congrats

Oh roo roooo!

Congrats, Megiddo!  And regarding the guy having the really bad day--I talked to the RD later on and he said the guy fell behind the cutoffs eventually and DNF'd.  Not surprising, I guess, but I do feel bad for him.

The thing that amazes me the most about all of you that do this is that you can stay upright on those rocky trails.  I run roads, mostly b/c it's going to be a good 45 minute drive for me to get to any trail, and the times I have run trails (Bluemounds run, Blackhawk) it has been scary going with at one point a nice face plant into some rocks, resulting in stitches in my lip and 2 busted teeth.  I just can't imagine keeping the mental focus on the footing for that long and the physical issues w/continuing to pick up your feet and not shuffle when you're getting really tired. 

DoppleBock

I thought a little about this on my run this morning.  Until this year - Most my trail running was only in races.  I think I had been on trails maybe 18 times in my 1st 7 years of running.  My 1st trail run ever was 2006 for the Glaical 50 mile.  It does take a different focus than road running.  I find myself yelling at myself every technical trail run / race "Pay attention".  I fell 3x at Glacial - But not on bad stuff, but on easy stuff as I lost my focus.

I can get into trouble, because I can get into shuffling fast - not picking up my feet.

This year I have run on the Glacial race course 9-10 time and I try and get on trails once per week.  Glacial trail is 60 minutes from my house - But man is it worth the drive.

I do not consider myself coordinated on trails - But focus and practice seem to help 

Congrats, Megiddo!  And regarding the guy having the really bad day--I talked to the RD later on and he said the guy fell behind the cutoffs eventually and DNF'd.  Not surprising, I guess, but I do feel bad for him.

The thing that amazes me the most about all of you that do this is that you can stay upright on those rocky trails.  I run roads, mostly b/c it's going to be a good 45 minute drive for me to get to any trail, and the times I have run trails (Bluemounds run, Blackhawk) it has been scary going with at one point a nice face plant into some rocks, resulting in stitches in my lip and 2 busted teeth.  I just can't imagine keeping the mental focus on the footing for that long and the physical issues w/continuing to pick up your feet and not shuffle when you're getting really tired. 

Roch

Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling lately and not able to post often.

Honeypig - I love running Blue Mounds.  It's about 20 minutes from where I live just south of Madison.  I'd like to get out to GT more and may this Spring.  It's about a 80 mile drive, but as DB said "worth it" for a LR.  I'll be hitting BMs quite a bit this winter/spring for an upcoming 100M race I'm looking at in Pekin, IL called McNaughton.  It's at the end of April, roughly 16,000' +/- if anyone is interested.

I don't tend to fall a lot, but I stumble quite a bit hence the busted toes after the race.

Oh roo roooo!

Megiddo--no doubt about it, both Bluemounds and Blackhawk are just lovely places to run--I would HIKE there (so I could admire the scenery w/o another face plant!) if I lived closer.  I have done both Bluemounds and Blackhawk for 3-4 years in a row now, finally got my 100K hat, but did not sign up for Blackhawk this year.  Time to let someone else get in, I guess...but isn't it the greatest to run that and then go get some of the wonderful chow in the log cabin?  Again, tho, at Blackhawk w/the leaves on the ground, very difficult (for me at least) to keep a focus as the leaves/rocks/sticks/roots just start to blur after a certain point--and that little out-and-back rolly-rock section...oy vey!  Thank heavens the first half of that course is the tougher half!

DoppleBock

I find Ice Age 50k / 50M / 1/2M in May to be much less technical than Glacial + no leaves to block view.  I believe I have only fell twice total in 100 miles of racing on the Ice Age course.

I fell 3 times alone on the Glacial 50K and that was a good year - Last year I fell 8 times on the 50 mile Glacial course ... yes I am not as graceful as I would like.

My fall this year @ Dances With Dirt - Devils lake 50k has cost me dearly - Money yes (4 doctors visits) but more importantly some possible permanent issues with my arm / elbow.  But that was due to a fall on pavement.